Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Globus Mundi Store in Diagon Alley

May 7, 2016
Heard a rumor about a new store coming to Diagon alley that’s sharing a space with Oilvanders. I think it’s called Globus Mundi not 100% on the spelling. Anyone else have more information?

Is this the same one that was supposed to open last year to replace the now closed 3rd Ollivander's Show room? Looks like the same spot somewhat.

I hope they don't mess with the House Elf Agency facade too much. I always loved that reference as an avid book reader. It's the closest to the SPEW side story in the books that I've seen in the parks.

I forgot they finally decided to go ahead with this. Apparently they are also adding some kind of VIP entrance through the back of the wand shop as well, so celebs can get the wand experience without crowds.

So... what the heck kind of shop is this going to be, really? Yes, it seems its theme is a travel agency, but what's going to be unique in here?

I'm asking mostly rhetorically, but if anybody wants to brainstorm, have at it!

I'm asking mostly rhetorically, but if anybody wants to brainstorm, have at it!

If they received permission from WB, they could sell gifts that might prepare one for travel to the various cities and Ministries of Magic throughout the Globus. Passports, wallets, backpacks etc. A kind of Fantastic Beasts tie in.

They actually have most of the merchandise in the other shops around Wizarding World already because it was ordered with the idea the shop would have been open before last Christmas. It's a lot of luggage tags, passport holders and other travel related stuff that actually sells well to the visitors from other countries.

I wouldn't be surprised to see luggage come too since so many tourists buy luggage while here in Orlando to send stuff home (especially Brazilians!)

I forgot they finally decided to go ahead with this. Apparently they are also adding some kind of VIP entrance through the back of the wand shop as well, so celebs can get the wand experience without crowds.
That makes a ton of sense. Universal’s Social Media team tweets out pictures of celebs getting their wands all the time.

They actually have most of the merchandise in the other shops around Wizarding World already because it was ordered with the idea the shop would have been open before last Christmas. It's a lot of luggage tags, passport holders and other travel related stuff that actually sells well to the visitors from other countries.

I wouldn't be surprised to see luggage come too since so many tourists buy luggage while here in Orlando to send stuff home (especially Brazilians!)
I don’t know if they would sell luggage in a theme park. It seems weird to me buying a suitcase in a theme park with theme park markups.

I don’t know if they would sell luggage in a theme park. It seems weird to me buying a suitcase in a theme park with theme park markups.

Official WWoHP luggage would be seen entirely differently, I think. I could see fans buying these items. It may be an extra bag to take home with you on your current trip, but it could be seen a neat bag to replace your other on your next trip(s). I can see it doing well. Is there similar merchandise around the WW?

If they received permission from WB, they could sell gifts that might prepare one for travel to the various cities and Ministries of Magic throughout the Globus. Passports, wallets, backpacks etc. A kind of Fantastic Beasts tie in.

I could see this, too, if they got the okay to do it. I don't see how they wouldn't get the okay, really. It's a way for them to make money off the expansion of the franchise (FB) that isn't otherwise seen or made available anywhere in the current parks. I'd think it would be a win-win for all parties involved. It would be less jarring to see some FB-location merchandise in a travel agency than it would be to see it in one of the other WWoHP shops.

They actually had three piece luggage sets available in Toon Lagoon very recently. I'd say WW luggage would sell pretty well, depending on quality and design, I might be willing to purchase something along those lines. A suitcase that looks like Newt Scamanders case of magical creatures? People would be all over it.

Here’s some pics of all the Globus Mundi merch that’s currently available. Strangely enough, these items are not currently available inside the Wizarding World, only at the park’s main gift shops on the way out.

No luggage, but they do have luggage tags.

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

And as I posted in my article, the entrance is expected to replace the Dr Fillibusters fireworks store facade. And the picture window above the wooden barn doors will probably be extended down to the ground, becoming a real window to see in.

IMG_2878.jpg

No word yet on whether House Elf Agency is staying or not, but I have heard work will be done on its facade as well. Wonder if that will become the new Ollivanders VIP entrance?

IMG_2897.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s some pics of all the Globus Mundi merch that’s currently available. Strangely enough, these items are not currently available inside the Wizarding World, only at the park’s main gift shops on the way out.

No luggage, but they do have luggage tags.

I know the person who does all the merchandising for the Potter shops and WB is very picky about what merch can go where. They have kind of a "catch all" with the park stores selling a selection of everything, but the specific shops all need to be merchandised to WB standards all the time. It used to be that the widow of Dr. Seuss was the picky one when it came to merchandising, but it seems WB is really anal about every detail (on behalf of JKR).

All the Orlando parks sell luggage, and some for top dollar. HP luggage would be a high ticket item and would be in high demand. People love to have suitcases that are easy to spot on baggage carousels. Disney sells tons of Mickey luggage just for that reason (at a huge markup!)

I would think that Disney luggage might not stand out quite as much at MCO.
Who cares about MCO. They are buying the luggage to go home. So when they get off of their plane to New England, London, Brazil, wherever, a Disney suitcase is going to be pretty easy to spot at the baggage carousel.