Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Could Universal Add a Sports Experience like Disney with the NBA?

Just asking out of curiosity WDW is slated to open their brand new NBA Experience at Disney Springs I believe sometime next year and was wondering since Uni likes to compete with Disney sometimes do you see them adding a similar sport experience to their already acquired land of about 500 acres? I was thinking like an MLS experience or something since Orlando has a Pro Soccer Team.

The only chance I'd see of something like that, is a resort next to (or collabing with) Rosen Creek and bringing something based off of The Golf Channel.

That said, I'd rather want something more Art of Animation-esque with DWA/Illumination for the Southern Property as opposed to a sporting destination. It'd just be a waste of space for doing something sports related.

Just asking out of curiosity WDW is slated to open their brand new NBA Experience at Disney Springs I believe sometime next year and was wondering since Uni likes to compete with Disney sometimes do you see them adding a similar sport experience to their already acquired land of about 500 acres? I was thinking like an MLS experience or something since Orlando has a Pro Soccer Team.
I think something like Grill Brew is destined for Site B...But that's the extent of it

The only sport that really has huge international appeal is Soccer (although Basketball is gaining momentum around the globe rapidly). I can totally see a Soccer/FIFA concept working and doing gangbusters considering the amount of international guests, but I think we need to keep expectations in check and expect a generic sports bar like Grill Brew.

The only sport that really has huge international appeal is Soccer (although Basketball is gaining momentum around the globe rapidly). I can totally see a Soccer/FIFA concept working and doing gangbusters considering the amount of international guests, but I think we need to keep expectations in check and expect a generic sports bar like Grill Brew.
Yes, the amount of foreign tourists standing out and watching the World Cup was surprising to me

Last year (2017) we went to NBC during the FA Cup final match (not on purpose) and both floors and the outside were *packed*. We typically stop by at night for a Stanley Cup finals game or two and it is really busy for that as well - both floors open and people cheering and yelling. There is definitely demand for a sports bar in CityWalk.

I swear. Just open a soccer centric sports bar, that has an English Pub vibe, and call it the "F.A."

You'd make a killing.

Last year (2017) we went to NBC during the FA Cup final match (not on purpose) and both floors and the outside were *packed*. We typically stop by at night for a Stanley Cup finals game or two and it is really busy for that as well - both floors open and people cheering and yelling. There is definitely demand for a sports bar in CityWalk.

I... what? NBC *is* a sports bar.

No one is thinking outside the box like you are. So I'll answer and say yes they could and if they were smart they would do so. Unfortunately based on recent additions at Universal, it would seem they dont care about locals that much like they used too. Capturing the paying guest be it a local or tourist is all they care about. Same as Disney. But I like you , hope that changes one day.

Same I just thought of it because Disney is always trying to best universal in any possible way you know.

People always try besting one-another. Both Disney & Universal know this. However, one must acknowledge the past, to not repeat it.

Honestly, I don't get the vibe that we will see an sports-complex of any kind for the entertainment section popping up for UOSouth. I think it takes away space that be better suited to widen the current clientele that is coming to Universal Orlando Resort.

They already have something like that in the sports category, with NBCGrillBrew.

Disney has essentially cornered the market. Several national and international sports tournaments take place at ESPN already. There's multiple events occuring simultaneously there on a near weekly basis. There's simply not enough teams with the resources to support a similar facility a few miles away. Universal will let Disney have this.

If they do anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see a physical WWE hall of Fame, like was rumored for what is now Toothsomes.