Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Possibility of Penny Pinching at UOR?

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
I feel like this needs to be brought up, as it's seemingly become out of hand on the Sindbad thread.

From what it seems, Universal Parks and Resorts might be employing some methods of Penny pinching for the growth of Universal Orlando Resort, containing the upcoming Sindbad closure, and possibly other projects in the pipeline.

@Alicia was able to go slightly into a bit of this in the most recent episode of the Parkscope Unprofessional Podcast, and I highly recommend checking that episode out, as she and @Joe go through a few of the projects in development. But that, she gives some great words in regards to the subject.

Parkscope: Parkscope Unprofessional Podcast Hour #153 - Kebab Puns

__

As of now, @Disneyhead may of possibly brought up the penny pinching having some relating to the slowing down of the IOA Jurassic Project at Trikes.

I'd say that it's not penny pinching and that Uni is getting ready for it's expansion. Sinbad closing is probably related to the T2 project - why cast a new crew when you have one located in IOA? And Sinbad's closing was probably inevitable if Zelda or How to train your Dragon end up taking over. The rumored JP coaster was probably delayed/cancelled if maybe they thought LC deserved a fix first.

If there is any "penny-pinching" happening, street shows will probably be next to go with minor attractions having operating times cut after.

I'd say that it's not penny pinching and that Uni is getting ready for it's expansion. Sinbad closing is probably related to the T2 project - why cast a new crew when you have one located in IOA? And Sinbad's closing was probably inevitable if Zelda or How to train your Dragon end up taking over. The rumored JP coaster was probably delayed/cancelled if maybe they thought LC deserved a fix first.

If there is any "penny-pinching" happening, street shows will probably be next to go with minor attractions having operating times cut after.

I'm actually surprised that Flying Fish isn't already gone, and that Barney isn't having any cut showtimes. Because those are the two I would suspect going to get changes.

Here is my issue with this...

If your parks that are already established have to be punished, budgets cut, shows and and attractions time reduce just to bring the new project together, well I believe you have already failed.

Reducing one section, universal Orlando north, to then work on another section, universal Orlando south, of a business is not an expansion at all. It’s a redirection of funds. It’s just a trade off.

Sorry that just means we will get a stagnant north property so the south will come to fruition. Just terrible, cheap, and not planned properly.

I really, truly hope this is not the case but am beginning to have fears.

I'm actually surprised that Flying Fish isn't already gone, and that Barney isn't having any cut showtimes. Because those are the two I would suspect going to get changes.
If you're talking about the fish show that was in front of the current F&F exit... that's been gone since April. As for Barney, well, they only run 4 shows a day and all of them are full. The little kids need something to do in this park too. As long as they keep KidZone open and put off a new IP for the area, Barney is going to keep doing 4 shows a day, more during the holiday season. They can get away with Barney in some respects too because Barney is still really big in South America.

what if they just closed the parks one of two hours earlier than usual? that sure would save them a lot of money.
Or
open the parks one of two hours later than usual. that would be huge savings.
or just do both :lol:

Also they could get rid of the paper maps and tell people to check the maps online. that would not only save money but it would make uni look green and look good. They could also cut down on straws and get good rep with the environmental crowds.

The Tvs on the Rip Ride Rock it queue could be turned off and just have the audio. same with fallon and the simpsons, Transformers as well as Jurassic Park, all the tvs on the queues of both park could be turned off and imagine the amazing savings in electricity.

Universal could even win an environmental award if they pulled something like this.

no one EVER watches those tvs, nobody. people are either talking to their families or on their phones.
im sure there are dozens of ways to cut down at universal. make it more green and cut down on costs.
Make Universal Earth Friendly.

what if they just closed the parks one of two hours earlier than usual? that sure would save them a lot of money.
Or
open the parks one of two hours later than usual. that would be huge savings.
or just do both :lol:

Also they could get rid of the paper maps and tell people to check the maps online. that would not only save money but it would make uni look green and look good. They could also cut down on straws and get good rep with the environmental crowds.

The Tvs on the Rip Ride Rock it queue could be turned off and just have the audio. same with fallon and the simpsons, Transformers as well as Jurassic Park, all the tvs on the queues of both park could be turned off and imagine the amazing savings in electricity.

Universal could even win an environmental award if they pulled something like this.

no one EVER watches those tvs, nobody. people are either talking to their families or on their phones.
im sure there are dozens of ways to cut down at universal. make it more green and cut down on costs.
Make Universal Earth Friendly.
What you're proposing would turn Universal back to what people now call "The Dark Years"

Hours - The parks already only stay open until 10 PM at the latest, 8 on average non-HHN. Cutting it back anymore when they continue to open new hotels would be beyond ridiculous. I heard guests complaining the other day that the park was closing so "early" at 9PM. When guests come to spend thousands on vacation, they shouldn't have to worry about the parks closing incredibly early.

Maps - It's not easy to find those around the park as it already is. Some gift shops may have them and if you ask a TM, they can get you one, but that's really about it if you don't grab one at the front gate. Also, printed maps in some capacity are an absolute must. With so many guests that speak other languages, park maps help to break the language barrier and to get guests where they want to go.

TVs - Yeah, many of the TF ones aren't necessarily needed to have on when the extended queue isn't being used. But it's a theme park and shutting off a few TVs isn't going to save a bunch of money anyway. And the TVs at Fallon is literally part of the design on the facade. Same with Simpsons. You start turning off every TV in the park and it's no longer a theme park.

Universal does PLENTY to be Green already, it's not just a slogan. But you're taking the "theme" out of theme park with much of your proposals.

What you're proposing would turn Universal back to what people now call "The Dark Years"

Hours - The parks already only stay open until 10 PM at the latest, 8 on average non-HHN. Cutting it back anymore when they continue to open new hotels would be beyond ridiculous. I heard guests complaining the other day that the park was closing so "early" at 9PM. When guests come to spend thousands on vacation, they shouldn't have to worry about the parks closing incredibly early.

Maps - It's not easy to find those around the park as it already is. Some gift shops may have them and if you ask a TM, they can get you one, but that's really about it if you don't grab one at the front gate. Also, printed maps in some capacity are an absolute must. With so many guests that speak other languages, park maps help to break the language barrier and to get guests where they want to go.

TVs - Yeah, many of the TF ones aren't necessarily needed to have on when the extended queue isn't being used. But it's a theme park and shutting off a few TVs isn't going to save a bunch of money anyway. And the TVs at Fallon is literally part of the design on the facade. Same with Simpsons. You start turning off every TV in the park and it's no longer a theme park.

Universal does PLENTY to be Green already, it's not just a slogan. But you're taking the "theme" out of theme park with much of your proposals.

my points were just about universal cutting costs if they need to. and it was just a very random example. it sounds odd to talk about things like straws or the TVs around the parks, but if they are that in need to penny pinch, there are probably dozens, maybe a hundred of ways to cut down on costs here and there.

if they are needing to cut down that badly that they need to start closing attractions or shows, then they could start by trying to cut the little things.
my posts were really really random and i was thinking out loud in way. but im sure there are so many other little ways they could cut down even More.

my points were just about universal cutting costs if they need to. and it was just a very random example. it sounds odd to talk about things like straws or the TVs around the parks, but if they are that in need to penny pinch, there are probably dozens, maybe a hundred of ways to cut down on costs here and there.

if they are needing to cut down that badly that they need to start closing attractions or shows, then they could start by trying to cut the little things.
my posts were really really random and i was thinking out loud in way. but im sure there are so many other little ways they could cut down even More.
Sure there are plenty of things they could do, but I also think we should expect more from Universal. I understand they're building a new park, but they can't just let that be an excuse to start cutting things to the point where the parks almost become second rate while UO South is being built.

I personally think it's IMPERATIVE that even if Universal doesn't open many attractions in the time between now and when the new gate opens (we know Potter and Bourne are at least happening), that they keep up current standards. You don't want guests having bad experiences because you lowered the bar on yourself, which would then hurt repeat visitors who may come for UO South.

Leaving a good impression is a high priority for Universal and it should remain that way.

Here's the deal, I will start to get annoyed when some rides go seasonal and the fire effects get turned off again

Companies cut costs all the time

I think Sindbad got the boot because of a couple of things:
1) Poor attendance, essentially acting as a money pit (lots of pyro, effects, stunts, etc)
2) Surveys (People apparently have made it clear that they enjoy street entertainment more than a 'sit down show'...Universal has run with this)
3) Moving of funds (and people) to a better use (From the sounds of it, they are trying to move the Sindbad cast around to the shiny new Bourne show...I hope they do anyway)

I don't know, I just don't see this as a huge fire that needs to be put out

I think a lot of folks forget what "cost-cutting Universal" looks like

Here's the deal, I will start to get annoyed when some rides go seasonal and the fire effects get turned off again

Companies cut costs all the time

I think Sindbad got the boot because of a couple of things:
1) Poor attendance, essentially acting as a money pit (lots of pyro, effects, stunts, etc)
2) Surveys (People apparently have made it clear that they enjoy street entertainment more than a 'sit down show'...Universal has run with this)
3) Moving of funds (and people) to a better use (From the sounds of it, they are trying to move the Sindbad cast around to the shiny new Bourne show...I hope they do anyway)

I don't know, I just don't see this as a huge fire that needs to be put out

I think a lot of folks forget what "cost-cutting Universal" looks like

It's almost like closing Sinbad is a multilayered situation with nuance!

There is "cost cutting" going on. But it isn't dire like you guys are making it out too be.

Just a FYI, one park didn't do well financially last year.

JP, and the new park are green lit and funded by corporate. How that money is spent is up to UOR.

JP should get started as HP wraps up. That way they have one big crew working instead of 2.

As far as Sindbad, supposedly the actors and tech crew are being moved over to Bourne, and it takes about 6 months to block a show like that. So Sindbad's closes. Entertainment thought that was a better option for the actors since LC's time is limited and helps cuts some costs short term by not performing an expensive and unpopular show and not having too hire a second expensive SAG stunt crew.

That said, there are a lot more people complaining about Sindbad's closing than actually went to the show. So I would expect an announcement about Bourne sooner rather than later. That way the whining will switch to the irrelevance of the IP and how much Universal sucks.

There is "cost cutting" going on. But it isn't dire like you guys are making it out too be.

Just a FYI, one park didn't do well financially last year.

JP, and the new park are green lit and funded by corporate. How that money is spent is up to UOR.

JP should get started as HP wraps up. That way they have one big crew working instead of 2.

As far as Sindbad, supposedly the actors and tech crew are being moved over to Bourne, and it takes about 6 months to block a show like that. So Sindbad's closed. Entertainment thought that was a better option for the actors since LC's time is limited and helps cuts some costs short term by not performing an expensive and unpopular show and not having too hire a second expensive SAG stunt crew.

That said, there are a lot more people complaining about Sindbad's closing than actually went to the show. So I would expect an announcement about Bourne sooner rather than later. That way the whining will switch to the irrelevance of the IP and how much Universal sucks.
If I was an actor, I would want to perform in an updated theater at a new show that is actually attended...Seems like a good move, that also saves some cash to be spent elsewhere

Also, is IOA the park that under preformed?