Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rafiki’s Planet Watch - Reopening Summer 2019

ChristopherSE

VIP Member
Jul 12, 2009
NJ -> Orlando
Last edited:
I am wondering how Disney is managing this. When I worked there on the college program back in 2002 it was my understanding the area was required for the parks zoological accreditation. Most of the cast there were very passionate about their roles and specifically wanted to work in that location. I hope they can all be located in another spot in the park that lets their passion continue to shine.

Lots of people are speculating the area is closing for a new land. If this is the case I wonder what will become of all the back stage animal care areas there. All of the back of house animal care areas on display there were real and not just for show. Easy things to move but why would you? There is so much other free land around that park that could be utilized.

I get it wasn't a super popular place and a little awkward to get to. It also requires a lot of staff between the train, conservation station and animal keepers to run. I wonder if it is just closing to the public and will continue to operate behind the scenes to cut costs for staffing. Very disappointing if this is the case.

Even though I worked there I am not going to miss it a bunch. It is dated feeling and needs some major TLC. Just seems like an odd choice to close it completely when you really think about what the area means and has from an infrastructure stand point.

Uh-oh. Here comes Zootopia!

If it wasn't for the removal of live entertainment all around the property I might agree. But it's clear this is budget cuts for budget cuts, not in prep for a new project.

I am wondering how Disney is managing this. When I worked there on the college program back in 2002 it was my understanding the area was required for the parks zoological accreditation. Most of the cast there were very passionate about their roles and specifically wanted to work in that location. I hope they can all be located in another spot in the park that lets their passion continue to shine.

Lots of people are speculating the area is closing for a new land. If this is the case I wonder what will become of all the back stage animal care areas there. All of the back of house animal care areas on display there were real and not just for show. Easy things to move but why would you? There is so much other free land around that park that could be utilized.

I get it wasn't a super popular place and a little awkward to get to. It also requires a lot of staff between the train, conservation station and animal keepers to run. I wonder if it is just closing to the public and will continue to operate behind the scenes to cut costs for staffing. Very disappointing if this is the case.

Even though I worked there I am not going to miss it a bunch. It is dated feeling and needs some major TLC. Just seems like an odd choice to close it completely when you really think about what the area means and has from an infrastructure stand point.

They could easily still run all the back stage facilities but not run the train/staff the guest areas.

I expect the facilities themselves to stay as there are (likely indefinitely, as they're out of the way) and the train to remain SBNO for a year or so, then get demolished to use the expansion pad on the other side of it, behind Harambe, Kali River Rapids, etc.

I think it's a mix of budget cuts and future planning.

If it wasn't for the removal of live entertainment all around the property I might agree. But it's clear this is budget cuts for budget cuts, not in prep for a new project.
On the flip side, any new project wouldn’t open for probably 4-5 years still so I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

It does leave you feeling pessimistic about the probability of a replacement though.

Not a part of the park that I cared for, though the train ride was kind of realistic & interesting. And it was isolated, maybe too much. But the little ones seemed to enjoy it. And it's always troubling when anything gets cut, and not replaced. That's the bad part, no replacement....WDW rallying cry: "Protect the Bonuses"!!!

Just visited one last time to pay my respects and get some video before it goes away. I expect this to not be replaced with anything, but if they did, it would be added to the unused Asia plot behind Kali, which does happen to butt up against some of this area.

I was not expecting to find some land clearing and survey markers though.

We're slashing budgets left and right, get yourself down to Animal Kingdom before these deals are gone!

I enjoy the train ride for what it is and guests always seem to like the glimpse at the backstage areas. I don't know, seems like a waste to just close it. And I get that Rafiki might seem dated but is Zootopia really that popular? Seems like it came and went fairly quickly and was forgettable.

I enjoy the train ride for what it is and guests always seem to like the glimpse at the backstage areas. I don't know, seems like a waste to just close it. And I get that Rafiki might seem dated but is Zootopia really that popular? Seems like it came and went fairly quickly and was forgettable.
Having just visited again I was shocked by the lack of Rafiki himself. There’s the sign before going on the train, a statue when you disembark, and two wooden flats on your walk in. Other than the meet and greet, there’s no other signs of Rafiki at all.

They could rename it literally anything, and it would take only a couple hours to retheme away from Rafiki. There’s absolutely no mention of him inside the Conservation Station.

I think they have an opportunity to bring in all sorts of different meet and greets here to help boost its popularity. They even did a test with Thumper meeting for Bambi’s anniversary recently, and that brought in new visitors.

Personally, I’m a fan of Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, so replacing Rafiki with them would be fine by me. Currently they really only appear in the Move It Shake it party at MK.