Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Carnival Graveyard: Rust in Pieces

While this house may not have turned out exactly like people were hoping, I have to say I honestly dug the hell out of this one! It was the kind of theme I adore, and it was chock full of big and little touches that I appreciated. Case in point, right at the beginning the façade is really good, the sheer height of the walls along with a unnerving soundtrack made for a very foreboding entrance which made you feel like you shouldn't be there at all.

I also liked how the carnies outfits/gear fit with whatever area they were in, there was some neat touches I didn't realize till later. Such as just what the Luv Shack couple was wearing which told their backstory perfectly.

The GAT's were definitely fun, though I'm curious if one particular thing was a GAT or not.
Right after Sal himself, there's a sign pointing to a mousetrap with a button on the wall to the right. With a amusing sign stating to warn the premises of any unsafe conditions. Was that a GAT? Or just a really good sight gag.

Another thing I liked was this house felt super long, it just kept going & going. Pretty impressive considering this was sharing the soundstage with Scary Tales (Which conversely felt and probably was the shortest house.).

While this house may not have turned out exactly like people were hoping, I have to say I honestly dug the hell out of this one! It was the kind of theme I adore, and it was chock full of big and little touches that I appreciated. Case in point, right at the beginning the façade is really good, the sheer height of the walls along with a unnerving soundtrack made for a very foreboding entrance which made you feel like you shouldn't be there at all.

I also liked how the carnies outfits/gear fit with whatever area they were in, there was some neat touches I didn't realize till later. Such as just what the Luv Shack couple was wearing which told their backstory perfectly.

The GAT's were definitely fun, though I'm curious if one particular thing was a GAT or not.
Right after Sal himself, there's a sign pointing to a mousetrap with a button on the wall to the right. With a amusing sign stating to warn the premises of any unsafe conditions. Was that a GAT? Or just a really good sight gag.

Another thing I liked was this house felt super long, it just kept going & going. Pretty impressive considering this was sharing the soundstage with Scary Tales (Which conversely felt and probably was the shortest house.).
How do you not see the other house?

Well you can't see through solid walls, now can you? ;)
That, and I do believe there's large black curtains inbetween the two to separate them.

I know if you look up and to the left on the ceiling when you go into CG you can see a green light which might be the facade area of ST? Though thinking about it again, it might just be the finale area for CG.:lol:

Some of the Easter Eggs I've seen after numerous runs:

Jack's burlap sack
Elm St street sign
Run sign
Leatherface/TCM Hewitt mailbox
Strangers mask
7 scarezone mask
Waterbox from Saw
Universal palace theater marquee
Bumper car from HHN 17

I know there is a lot more, though. :lol:

Some of the Easter Eggs I've seen after numerous runs:

Jack's burlap sack
Elm St street sign
Run sign
Leatherface/TCM Hewitt mailbox
Strangers mask
7 scarezone mask
Waterbox from Saw
Universal palace theater marquee
Bumper car from HHN 17

I know there is a lot more, though. :lol:
Dueling dragons sign

I just wish the actors were made to look scarier. the actors just basically look like regular people. (Reminded me of Howl O Scream a lot. they tend to have actors that look like regular carnival workers)

sure, I get that these are carnival workers. I get it. I get what the house is and what the actors are from

but from the entire event, i must admit this might be the least scary house. and it has the least scary characters. this is not an attack of the house because the house is wonderful.
but it just feels like a fun house in a way. like if you were actually going into an actual carnival.

maybe that was the point and this house was not meant to be too scary, and that would be okay if that was the case. but the description made it sound so scary, i mean, it has graveyard in the title.

this house definitely gave me a lot of Howl O scream vibes. specially the way the actors were dressed

I just wish the actors were made to look scarier. the actors just basically look like regular people. (Reminded me of Howl O Scream a lot. they tend to have actors that look like regular carnival workers)

sure, I get that these are carnival workers. I get it. I get what the house is and what the actors are from

but from the entire event, i must admit this might be the least scary house. and it has the least scary characters. this is not an attack of the house because the house is wonderful.
but it just feels like a fun house in a way. like if you were actually going into an actual carnival.

maybe that was the point and this house was not meant to be too scary, and that would be okay if that was the case. but the description made it sound so scary, i mean, it has graveyard in the title.

this house definitely gave me a lot of Howl O scream vibes. specially the way the actors were dressed
upload_2018-9-25_7-55-55.gif

they look rather happy lol
they kinda look like the people that run the carnival games outside, which i guess can work, thats probably the point, but i wish some of them were more scary with a name like "carnival graveyard"

it should just be called carnival mayhem or carnival madness. a name like mayhem or madness would have worked better

From what the guide was saying, there are at least three that he knew of. I only ever saw two, and they were the classic Big Red Flashing Buttons™. I wish I had a few more runs to hunt and find!

Also, in terms of Easter Eggs, there are a few suuuuper obscure ones, but are pretty cool:

There is a fidget spinner from last year's Bill and Ted on the floor

There is a buzz saw shaped sign from one of the Jack shows in the clown room

A partial Jack banner is hanging on the walls of the house to the left at one point.

One of the gators from the facade of Dead Waters is in the ball pit.

To go with the backstory of Ernest Lee and the Ragtags, two custom songs were composed for the house, one of which plays in the Luv Shak, called Cheek to Cheek. Charles Gray provided the voice for the song.

Also in the Luv Shak, if you look at the painting of the cherubs on the wall, the face of the top one is actually Patrick Braillard, one of the designers as well.

Yikes, that's too bad. I guess walk-throughs might do it justice, but this one was really beautiful.

I blame the app for this one, we had just finished Poltergeist after about a 55 minute wait and were going to do Carnival Graveyard next, but then the wait-time shot up to 70 minutes... We hadn't done Slaughter Sinema or Seeds of Extinction yet either, and those were posting 30/35 minute times respectively.. I wanted to do Carnival the most of the three we hadn't done, but we thought that line was too long. As soon as we made it to Slaughter Sinema the wait time f0r Carnival Graveyard dropped to 40 minutes lol. Oh well still had a great time.

I blame the app for this one, we had just finished Poltergeist after about a 55 minute wait and were going to do Carnival Graveyard next, but then the wait-time shot up to 70 minutes... We hadn't done Slaughter Sinema or Seeds of Extinction yet either, and those were posting 30/35 minute times respectively.. I wanted to do Carnival the most of the three we hadn't done, but we thought that line was too long. As soon as we made it to Slaughter Sinema the wait time f0r Carnival Graveyard dropped to 40 minutes lol. Oh well still had a great time.

thats really sad because Carnival is definitely more detailed and better designed than either Slaughter or Seeds.
Seeds is great of course, but carnival just has So Much added into it

they look rather happy lol
they kinda look like the people that run the carnival games outside, which i guess can work, thats probably the point, but i wish some of them were more scary with a name like "carnival graveyard"

it should just be called carnival mayhem or carnival madness. a name like mayhem or madness would have worked better
Well... It's the carnival stuff itself that's dead, not the Carnies. The rides are what's in the graveyard.

In an interesting point, it seems there's a random sign that represents in backwards vertical down to more of an "I'm Back".

I'm not sure why it's here, but it is interesting to see them do something that to me; seem's random.

Tour guide (during UTH) said it was a window pane from The Carnage Returns (but I don't recall ever seeing it on the stage).