Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

Does anyone bring their DSLR to HNN? is it worth carrying it?

I do, carrying it around doesn't bother me in the slightest but I enjoy taking photos. Out of respect I put the lens cap on and hold it in a manner which implies I won't be using it before entering houses, saves the TM time/effort of telling me to put it away/no photos.

Hey y’all, I haven’t been using the forums much recently but I’m gonna be in the park tonight for HHN and I’d be happy to meet anyone willing! I’ll be wearing my KKfOS tee and I’ve got shaggy blonde hair, you’ll probably see me either dancing in line or running through zones (all w/ @sadbunny ).

Posters and lurkers alike. I hope to meet y’all! Have fun tonight.

Looks like we're doing the RIP tour because it's not much more than express. Can anyone tell me how long the tour lasts typically? We're wondering if it makes more sense to just have express because we can usually hit all the houses once using stay and scream before we start using express.

Also does anyone know how many houses are on the behind the scenes tour? We did six during 26 so i figure it's about the same.

I think we have reached the point where HHN won't have any more "dead" nights. However, if you can do stay and scream OR wait outside the gates an hour or so before park open, you can accomplish 5-7 mazes within 2-3 hours without needing Express.

Now that the event is well underway and almost half over :'(...how is it holding up?

Is it still among best of all time? Have any houses significantly changed for better or worse?

Now that the event is well underway and almost half over :'(...how is it holding up?

Is it still among best of all time? Have any houses significantly changed for better or worse?

Reviews all over the place. Some say one of the GOAT, on par with 21, etc. A few others say on par with 22 (well, only one review I've heard was THAT negative, but yeah).

My opinion: easily the best house set design in the years I've been coming (16, 18, 26, 27, 28)--especially the facades, which for seven of the houses range from very good to mind-blowing. As far as house intensity goes, it's tough to say because I am VERY VERY hard to scare, especially with the conga lines that have been a thing for at least 15 years now, though some of the houses do feel a little understaffed. Also, they clearly took a couple of risks that didn't quite work out (the "barrel" scare in Carnival that I never saw, the dropdown clown, the single light source in SoX) but I applaud Uni for being ****sy. Still, think the vast majority of the houses are really good.

The scare-zones: Vamp '85 is MEH. Traditions falls just short of TrT, but I love that there's no stage, as I always love having a set in that spot. Killer Klowns is too short, but has sort of an Asylum in Wonderland feel to it. I like the different displays in Chucky. Overall improvement from last year.

The event feels decidedly less corporate than it did the last two years.

Basically, 16's shows + 18's backstories, house intensity, and scare-zones + 28's house design = perfect event.

Last edited:
Talking with some old hats who don’t post anymore about that today. Their general opinion is that this year is “fine.” Not a GOAT but not a disappointment. Which, really, is all we can expect now.

As far as house intensity goes, it's tough to say because I am VERY VERY hard to scare, especially with the conga lines that have been a thing for at least 15 years now, though some of the houses do feel a little understaffed. Still, think the vast majority of the houses are really good. The event feels decidedly less corporate than it did the last two years.

My opinion: 16's shows + 18's backstories, house intensity, and scare-zones (everything about them) + 28's house design = perfect event.

It does seem most reviews are saying the production value this year is incredible but not so 'scary' or 'gory' like previous years. I view HHN as a celebration of all things horror that is expressed in ultra realistic design that tries to transport you into a horror film. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be 'scary'. Scary is so different for everyone so of course opinions will vary. HHN doesn't scare me anymore because I know what to expect. There are few surprises anymore. I am already on high alert for jump scares so they rarely 'get me'. I also know it is all make believe so inherently it isn't 'scary' in that regard either. I view the events success on how well you are transported into a place to experience its story. It is a type of living art that we can all enjoy for different reasons.

I really wish they would do another overarching story like 18 again. The team is so good at storytelling it seems logical, but alas IP's will probably prevent that from ever happening. Maybe they can split the event into two distinct areas somehow one year. All IP's on the left side of the park and a fully immersive over arching original story on the right side of the park. Almost an event within an event....HHHMMM...I have a design degree, is the HHN team hiring??? :grin: :lol: :bolt:

It does seem most reviews are saying the production value this year is incredible but not so 'scary' or 'gory' like previous years. I view HHN as a celebration of all things horror that is expressed in ultra realistic design that tries to transport you into a horror film. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be 'scary'. Scary is so different for everyone so of course opinions will vary. HHN doesn't scare me anymore because I know what to expect. There are few surprises anymore. I am already on high alert for jump scares so they rarely 'get me'. I also know it is all make believe so inherently it isn't 'scary' in that regard either. I view the events success on how well you are transported into a place to experience its story. It is a type of living art that we can all enjoy for different reasons.

I really wish they would do another overarching story like 18 again. The team is so good at storytelling it seems logical, but alas IP's will probably prevent that from ever happening. Maybe they can split the event into two distinct areas somehow one year. All IP's on the left side of the park and a fully immersive over arching original story on the right side of the park. Almost an event within an event....HHHMMM...I have a design degree, is the HHN team hiring??? :grin: :lol: :bolt:

Sinema and Scary Tales are pretty gory, moreso than anything I saw last year (then again, I avoided AHS). Granted, 27 definitely had more adult properties than this year. The tunnel of love scene in Carnival is also wonderfully disgusting, and the finale of DE2 had some gore as well. But, I think they should definitely emphasize houses like Dead Exposure and Scarecrow in the coming years (PLZ GIVE US A SPACESHIP OR AIRPLANE HOUSE!).

One of the things people point to as making the event more family friendly is losing B&T. I certainly like my HHNs super intense and adult oriented (as hard as I am to scare), but B&T, in addition to becoming very unfunny (JMO), was a drain on the budget. I would've gladly had it end a year early to get, say, an extra scene in Dead Waters, cold effects in Shining, a queue video and/or proper facade for Hive, better scare-zones, etc. And I'm not a fan of alcohol anyway. I do enjoy some...ahem, sights, though the Amazon Cannibals scene and even the Sorority Sacrifice scene had some.

Last edited:
Talking with some old hats who don’t post anymore about that today. Their general opinion is that this year is “fine.” Not a GOAT but not a disappointment. Which, really, is all we can expect now.

Out of curiosity what do they consider the events best?

Islands of fear was my first HHN and the type of event I fell in love with. A little raw in design but it pushed the boundaries of what was possible. They used many special effects in the streets such as dense fog, lasers, 'live killings', fire balls, flame throwers, bikers, foam, puppets (the original raptor encounter!) and scattered chain saws. And of course Scream House truly did live up to its name and HHN lore. Unfortunately the other houses were forgettable and laughable from today's standards. So glad that year was documented so I know my memories are pretty accurate.

However I still love how the event has evolved into what it is today for completely different reasons. I have only been to Islands of Fear, 25 and soon 28, but I followed every year from 12 on very closely online. 25 was a great return to the event but completely different from my original experience.

Sinema and Scary Tales are pretty gory, moreso than anything I saw last year (then again, I avoided AHS). Granted, 27 definitely had more adult properties than this year. The tunnel of love scene in Carnival is also wonderfully disgusting. But, I think they should definitely emphasize houses like Dead Exposure and Scarecrow in the coming years (PLZ GIVE US A SPACESHIP OR AIRPLANE HOUSE!).

One of the things people point to as making the event more family friendly is losing B&T. I certainly like my HHNs super intense and adult oriented (as hard as I am to scare), but B&T, in addition to becoming very unfunny (JMO), was a drain on the budget. I would've gladly had it end a year early to get, say, an extra scene in Dead Waters, cold effects in Shining, a queue video and/or proper facade for Hive, better scare-zones, etc. And I'm not a fan of alcohol anyway. I do enjoy some...ahem, sights, though the Amazon Cannibals scene and even the Sorority Sacrifice scene had some.
I think the way they handled Stranger Things tells me that they can make any property "Horror Nights"...Several moments in that house were rather starteling

Out of curiosity what do they consider the events best?

Islands of fear was my first HHN and the type of event I fell in love with. A little raw in design but it pushed the boundaries of what was possible. They used many special effects in the streets such as dense fog, lasers, 'live killings', fire balls, flame throwers, bikers, foam, puppets (the original raptor encounter!) and scattered chain saws. And of course Scream House truly did live up to its name and HHN lore. Unfortunately the other houses were forgettable and laughable from today's standards. So glad that year was documented so I know my memories are pretty accurate.

However I still love how the event has evolved into what it is today for completely different reasons. I have only been to Islands of Fear, 25 and soon 28, but I followed every year from 12 on very closely online. 25 was a great return to the event but completely different from my original experience.
HHN 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2008 were phenomenal

Had to fly back to Vermont today and I had one of the best times of my life at the event. I can say I liked Poltergeist and Dead Exposure the best, but there is a 7-way tie for third. Everything was great. My girlfriend and I went through Seeds all by ourselves which was kind of magical and Blumhouse as well. I would have loved any 80's property instead of another Blumhouse, but the scareactors were outstanding and I had a ton of fun. I was in a long conga for Halloween, but it was like the house was out to get me. I got everything both times I did it. I loved it. Stranger Things was an excellent re-creation of the show with great actor likenesses and I went through enough to see all of them. Scary Tales was so yummy in my tummy! Carnival was super cool and extra fun to see behind the screams, Slaughter Sinema was a ton of fun and is now well represented in my wardrobe, Trick r Treat is maybe last because it felt short to me, but I still quite enjoyed it. Vamp and Chucky were my favorite zones and the Klowns were crazy entertaining. Tradition had the Pumpkins and foggy lighting I so enjoy and Harvest wasn't much to write webpage about, but I liked the big puppet arm guys. On Horror Nights days, I walked 10 miles a day and loved every minute of it. I've only been to 2007 and 2008 in Hollywood and 25, 27 and 28 in Florida, but this is by far my favorite year. I feel very stupid for any disappointment I had that the original list of properties were wrong. I think I'm going to need to find a way to go every year from here on in.

Last edited:
I think the way they handled Stranger Things tells me that they can make any property "Horror Nights"...Several moments in that house were rather starteling

HHN 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2008 were phenomenal

Poltergeist showed me they can definitely do a Ghostbusters house if they wanted. the puppets used for Poltergeist showed me they could do a good and scary ghostbusters house. would be easy and good to do, would not even have to be a comedy house, the demons and ghosts on ghostbusters were scary enough to make the house scary.
librarian ghost could be a puppet, and a Pepper's ghost. the demon dogs could be puppets, Slimer can be both a Pepper's ghost and a puppet, the entire house can be done like Poltergeist.

I really wish they went for it. would be so cool.