Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 373 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What really bothers me about Uni is that they pick what attraction to do based off popularity and box office numbers and then force a ride system into.

I don't think this is always the case. If you look at some of the patents for new ride systems, they seem to have been made with a specific attraction in mind. Like the patents that are undoubtedly leading to Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country rides.

That moment you realize WaterWorld ($264 Mil total) has a higher guest score compared to F&F ($1.5 Bil total).

What really bothers me about Uni is that they pick what attraction to do based off popularity and box office numbers and then force a ride system into.
The attraction already existed at Hollywood so they decided to just clone it to Orlando. But I’m pretty sure they learned their lesson about limiting budgets to certain projects that might need it.

I don't think this is always the case. If you look at some of the patents for new ride systems, they seem to have been made with a specific attraction in mind. Like the patents that are undoubtedly leading to Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country rides.

I'm looking at their past, the future is filled with great choices so it seems like they have learned their lesson (outside of F&F, and maybe Bourne).

The attraction already existed at Hollywood so they decided to just clone it to Orlando. But I’m pretty sure they learned their lesson about limiting budgets to certain projects that might need it.

Yeah, and Hollywood wasn't even getting great reception so what made them think it would work in Orlando?

Reactions: Mike S
I'm looking at their past, the future is filled with great choices so it seems like they have learned their lesson (outside of F&F, and maybe Bourne).

Yeah, and Hollywood wasn't even getting great reception so what made them think it would work in Orlando?
Sticking to their promise of opening an attraction every year at each park.

$91 million global gross ($56 Domestic, $34 Global) IMO is a bomb (even if production budget was $41) as the studio will not make huge returns. I highly doubt a sequel will get off the ground, and ditto for a theme park attraction with so few people seeing it.

The Mummy (2017) did $410 globally ($80 Domestic, $330 Global) and the studio considered it bad to the point they likely aren't proceeding with their overall "Dark Universe".....

The films aren't comparable. The Mummy costed 120 million not even including marketing. This film was cheaper to make than Sony's Goosebumps and is tracking to end its run at the same amount which was 150 million domestic and international combined.

The films aren't comparable. The Mummy costed 120 million not even including marketing. This film was cheaper to make than Sony's Goosebumps and is tracking to end its run at the same amount which was 150 million domestic and international combined.

I was using the comparison only in the sense of the likelihood of seeing an attraction for House with a Clock. I had noted the following:

• I was using the Mummy as an example of the likelihood of "House with a Clock....." getting a sequel. i.e. If the Mummy at $400m globally = Dark Cinematic Universe getting shelved, then the likelihood of House with a Clock getting a sequel is next to nill. And with such a poor overall showing and no sequels means that representation in the parks is not going to happen IMO.
No sequels = No "Franchise". No Franchise = no Attraction. They're not going to spend money to build an attraction that likely 90% of people haven't ever heard of. If they're thinking of making a family attraction that would fit into a "Monsters" land, they're better off doing something around Scooby Doo as everyone knows what that is.

I was using the comparison only in the sense of the likelihood of seeing an attraction for House with a Clock. I had noted the following:

• I was using the Mummy as an example of the likelihood of "House with a Clock....." getting a sequel. i.e. If the Mummy at $400m globally = Dark Cinematic Universe getting shelved, then the likelihood of House with a Clock getting a sequel is next to nill. And with such a poor overall showing and no sequels means that representation in the parks is not going to happen IMO.
No sequels = No "Franchise". No Franchise = no Attraction. They're not going to spend money to build an attraction that likely 90% of people haven't ever heard of. If they're thinking of making a family attraction that would fit into a "Monsters" land, they're better off doing something around Scooby Doo as everyone knows what that is.

Just use the James Cameron idea of promising sequels and then taking forever to make them. Avatar case in point.

Reactions: Suprachica79

Yup. I’d much rather see something Scooby-Doo related as a family section in a Monster land.

Fantastics World....Waldo...Where's Waldo...World traveler...possible could be seen in parks?
bg.jpg

That moment you realize WaterWorld ($264 Mil total) has a higher guest score compared to F&F ($1.5 Bil total).

I get their thought process....Cloning a ride saves on A&D for a new one (see: Transformers, Mummy, FJ, etc)...The only problem is when it is a bad ride that gets replicated (which is honestly the first time it's happened this way)....F&F deserved better, but I feel, in an effort to avoid clashing with Mummy and Gringotts, they went with this non coaster concept....Which in turn ended up clashing with the screenz rides around the park...

I still think Universal needs to respect its own properties like it does Harry Potter though

Reactions: tielo
In a perverse way, F&F may have been very fortuitous. Rarely has any attraction received such negative feedback, not just on social media which happens often, but, more important, by the general public, in the park itself. Timing could not be better. I would guess planning for the new park's attractions will be 'affected in a positive way', by the F&F turkey. Universal will be keen not to repeat a misstep of this magnitude.

In a perverse way, F&F may have been very fortuitous. Rarely has any attraction received such negative feedback, not just on social media which happens often, but, more important, by the general public, in the park itself. Timing could not be better. I would guess planning for the new park's attractions will be 'affected in a positive way', by the F&F turkey. Universal will be keen not to repeat a misstep of this magnitude.
Besides, we know everyone loves the robo-coaster system.

I wonder if this will result in some purposeful leaks about any project they’re not 100% sure on.

Reactions: HPFred
Status
Not open for further replies.