Universal moving on from Biometric Lockers | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal moving on from Biometric Lockers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hulk lockers are poorly designed because every single TM and sign is hammering in how you need to empty your pockets of anything, so nothing falls out.... and then you're given a card to keep in your pockets, where it can fall out. It's contradictory messaging.

Even with all of that hounding they've let me go through with things in my pockets. Granted I take it out and show them that it is secure (and it's just my glasses, glasses case, and wallet) but so far they've let me through each time without any trouble. But shouldn't be any trouble going through with a paper ticket.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Hulk lockers are poorly designed because every single TM and sign is hammering in how you need to empty your pockets of anything, so nothing falls out.... and then you're given a card to keep in your pockets, where it can fall out. It's contradictory messaging.
And it’s very possible that park tickets could be hacked, whereas fingerprints, cannot.

Reactions: anihilnation
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the finger sensors do not read fingerprints, but do some sort of size/pressure measurement.......And, at the hotels they've returned to using the room key for express passes. There's some sort of facial recognition system included whereby the first time you use the pass, the facial recognition scanned of you is used for all future hotel express pass uses. That prevents the fraud that occurred in the previous room key express system. Nearly all of the attractions had the facial scanners, but a few didn't have them yet. Those that didn't just checked the hotel card dates. Guessing that the future will use a system like this for park entry and lockers, if everything works smoothly.

Reactions: HPFred and JoeCamel
I saw something different at the Men in Black lockers today. It offered me a choice of the level/height of the locker and the size of the locker. The lockers there do not have different sizes but I was able to pick a locker at a middle height.

Not sure if this was an experiment or simply a locker software option that usually isn't offered. Anyone else seen this happen?

I saw something different at the Men in Black lockers today. It offered me a choice of the level/height of the locker and the size of the locker. The lockers there do not have different sizes but I was able to pick a locker at a middle height.

Not sure if this was an experiment or simply a locker software option that usually isn't offered. Anyone else seen this happen?

The lockers at the front of the park offer that option as well but I haven't seen it elsewhere.

Encountered two more lockers today that gave me a height choice for my locker. One was MiB and the other was Gringotts.

The Gringotts lockers were a madhouse today with very few vacant units. If it is this bad now I hate to see it in July.

Encountered two more lockers today that gave me a height choice for my locker. One was MiB and the other was Gringotts.

The Gringotts lockers were a madhouse today with very few vacant units. If it is this bad now I hate to see it in July.
It was pretty busy just about every day we were there, and one day we had to use a locker at FJ. It took forever to navigate. Crunch time for sure. We always come in May and generally at least half the days are slow. There were no slow days this entire 10 night trip.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
It was pretty busy just about every day we were there, and one day we had to use a locker at FJ. It took forever to navigate. Crunch time for sure. We always come in May and generally at least half the days are slow. There were no slow days this entire 10 night trip.
Even with the rains it is busier here than we expected.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the finger sensors do not read fingerprints, but do some sort of size/pressure measurement.......And, at the hotels they've returned to using the room key for express passes. There's some sort of facial recognition system included whereby the first time you use the pass, the facial recognition scanned of you is used for all future hotel express pass uses. That prevents the fraud that occurred in the previous room key express system. Nearly all of the attractions had the facial scanners, but a few didn't have them yet. Those that didn't just checked the hotel card dates. Guessing that the future will use a system like this for park entry and lockers, if everything works smoothly.
Lockers scan for a real fingerprint, the system at the turnstiles however doesn't. I know they've been working on facial recognition; they tested it last year during HHN at the Dead Waters house.

Reactions: Victoria

I tried lockers at MIB & Gringotts today, neither gave me height options but the all-day lockers at the front of the park did.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
Losing a small plastic card on a ride is easy. If you lose your finger print on a ride you'd be having much more serious problems than getting your items out of a locker.
Why on Earth do they feel the need to do this? The fingerprint scanners are amazing, the only problems are the tight spaces where the lockers are.
Really, the biggest problem that I see regarding the fingerprint lockers are:
1) The fingerprint always doesn’t work. Then the TM comes and wipes off the glass sensor with their little cloth and you try again. This goes for park entrance as well.
2) You have to remember the locker number you used. I’m a math and numbers guy, and sometimes I didn’t pay good enough attention and I have to guess a couple numbers, delaying the process.

Using your park ticket relieves both of those problems.

3) This has nothing to do with fingerprint lockers- but the groups that go in with their party. Why people can’t just send one person to lock everything up and they must take their entire damned group (ESPECIALLY in Gringotts and FJ) drives me flippin batty.

Praise be.
May the Lord open.

Really, the biggest problem that I see regarding the fingerprint lockers are:
1) The fingerprint always doesn’t work. Then the TM comes and wipes off the glass sensor with their little cloth and you try again. This goes for park entrance as well.
2) You have to remember the locker number you used. I’m a math and numbers guy, and sometimes I didn’t pay good enough attention and I have to guess a couple numbers, delaying the process.

Using your park ticket relieves both of those problems.

3) This has nothing to do with fingerprint lockers- but the groups that go in with their party. Why people can’t just send one person to lock everything up and they must take their entire damned group (ESPECIALLY in Gringotts and FJ) drives me flippin batty.

May the Lord open.
If I am not mistaken, then the biometric lockers have an option for when you forgot your number.

I agree on groups clogging the lockers, but the problem in FJ is also, that if they don't clog the lockers, then they clog the hallway, so at least for FJ it's a lose-lose situation. But yes, I have seen it in Hulk for instance, people open a lockers and then think about what they have to put in there. So the whole family is there, have you put this away, don't forget to put that away etc. Instead of doing the smart thing and getting all your stuff ready and then get the locker. But then, when you are used to going to the parks on a regular basis, you just automatically are more prepared I guess.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but today when I went to get a locker at Rockit, it asked me to put in a six digit code after giving an error for the fingerprint. I assume they're testing this to replace the fingerprint scanning method for the lockers maybe?

New lockers at Men in Black:

image1.jpg
image0.jpg

Edit: Rockit as well
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

Last edited: