Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal moving on from Biometric Lockers

Penny pinching = unwilling to spend money

This is looking for additional revenue sources.

I think Nickel and Dime is the best expression.

If people are going to start using two smaller lockers, they're going to take longer and the queues are going to build. Add the extra time it takes to buy the large lockers, the end result is going to be longer wait times in a system that's already fundamentally broken.

What happens if all the small lockers are being used and only large lockers are left? Nobody can ride without paying $2?

Part of me thinks this is penny pinching, and another part thinks this is UO trying to prevent people that DON'T NEED to use the large lockers from using them. For at least a limited time. Then one day quietly remove the upcharge.

But what's the point? The only reason I can see is for a security POV. Less people bringing in bags, less opportunity for people to sneak in contraband and smaller lines at the security checkpoints. Having said that, with the x ray scanners, it probably won't change anything.

I don't know the logistics of it, but there's typically one or two TMs lingering in any one locker area - if they noticed and/or were alerted to an oversized bag, it would be an item of courtesy to have them provide a larger locker. People that are trying to get a large locker for just their phone won't go through the hassle, but those who do need a larger space could still get it for no additional cost.

This is *incredibly* naive. Parents need to bring stuff for their children. People will buy merch bigger than what can fit in the smaller lockers. Sometimes people have cameras bigger than what will fit in the smaller lockers.
not to mention people with special needs and people who need emergency medical things with them that takes up space in a backpack.

I find it funny, since I don't know of any other park in Orlando that offers any free lockers, big or small, regardless of if you have to stow stuff.
SeaWorld and Busch Gardens offer free cubby storage at load stations for coasters that don't allow bags. It's store at your own risk though, and the park isn't responsible for lost or stolen items. However, at least there is a free option.

I find it funny, since I don't know of any other park in Orlando that offers any free lockers, big or small, regardless of if you have to stow stuff.

Um, Disney doesn't force you to put things in lockers before each ride; and the rides that do require any kind of securing over there provide the free option to place it in the storage spot in front of your seat - and that's Universal's direct competitor. I love SeaWorld and BGT, but that ain't who Universal is "rivaling" with.

But I can see the argument from both sides. There still are free lockers to use at Universal and should be satisfactory to use for most people. However, Universal set the precedent for so many years that the lockers are free, and because there is, mostly, no other choice to ride an attraction if your items can't fit in the standard lockers.

Would opinions change if it was only a dollar to use the larger locker, or would you still want free?

Would opinions change if it was only a dollar to use the larger locker, or would you still want free?

It could be 50 cents a time, and people would still be upset. At this point in time, it seems more like the principle of the matter rather than actually needing to pay extra. If it stays put, eventually people will just grow accustomed to it.

IMO, if storage is required, there should be something provided (even if it's just an "at your risk" area like Alicia mentioned).

Where did that magical Mario Kart storage carousel go, and can we get this retrofitted to all rides?

The lockers or maintenance?

The whole point of this thread is the lockers were upgraded. That upgrade.

Um, Disney doesn't force you to put things in lockers before each ride; and the rides that do require any kind of securing over there provide the free option to place it in the storage spot in front of your seat - and that's Universal's direct competitor. I love SeaWorld and BGT, but that ain't who Universal is "rivaling" with.

But I can see the argument from both sides. There still are free lockers to use at Universal and should be satisfactory to use for most people. However, Universal set the precedent for so many years that the lockers are free, and because there is, mostly, no other choice to ride an attraction if your items can't fit in the standard lockers.

If Universal didn’t make guests put all bags into lockers then this wouldn’t be an issue. Since they do that means you either need to spend extra money or have someone sit with them. That’s the problem, it shouldn’t cost money to visit the parks how one wants to (within reason).

That’s the problem, it shouldn’t cost money to visit the parks how one wants to (within reason).

Frankly, if they did large lockers the way they do Express Passes, that could work. If you need one, buy this $10 card and you are good to go for the day.
Bonus action: bring back the same card and only pay $5 for a "day refill".

It's still stupid. But there has to be a logical way to go through with it.

Aren't groups of people just going to use multiple free lockers instead of one big locker like they would have if a larger one was free, thus tying up the the locker system even more?