Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal moving on from Biometric Lockers

I can see that the spinning on both, plus the initial drop on Gringotts, might cause some people to let go of their stuff. But if I can put my drawstring back into a netting pouch on Rock n' Rollercoaster (is that still how it is? Haven't ridden since 2012), I think a little tray would hold my stuff on Gringotts.
Just tell those idiots to not hold onto their things. Cat in the hat never had lockers.

Just tell those idiots to not hold onto their things. Cat in the hat never had lockers.
They added netting that completely encapsulates your legs and bags. That wasn't possible on MiB so they removed the bag holders and added lockers.

MIB is the one that really blows my mind. One of the most gentle rides in the entire resort.
Years ago, a guy slipped right out of the restrains to recover an item their kid dropped. (I believe he was then struck by the ride after he got out.) They started requiring lockers, removed the carry-on bag holsters and bag hooks, added netting on sides of the RVs and updated the restraints in response.

Any time someone gets hurt, UO responds by adding more lockers or requiring more things put into lockers.

They added netting that completely encapsulates your legs and bags. That wasn't possible on MiB so they removed the bag holders and added lockers.

Years ago, a guy slipped right out of the restrains to recover an item their kid dropped. (I believe he was then struck by the ride after he got out.) They started requiring lockers, removed the carry-on bag holsters and bag hooks, added netting on sides of the RVs and updated the restraints in response.

Any time someone gets hurt, UO responds by adding more lockers or requiring more things put into lockers.

So MIB didn’t always have lockers? I was convinced it didn’t when it opened but couldn’t find a photo to suggest otherwise.

So MIB didn’t always have lockers? I was convinced it didn’t when it opened but couldn’t find a photo to suggest otherwise.
Yea, no lockers at the start. For a long time even the pre-load safety video showed how to stow your belongings into the pouch provided or on the hooks.

True. When they started with the hulk update I was surprised only one section was large lockers.

And they used to let people take things onto rides but cause of morons like the guy getting off MiB to grab his kid’s fallen sunglasses they took away the item bags and hooks that used to be on the RVs.

Somewhat related story: Yesterday, the group behind me getting off Space Mountain lost their shoulder bag on the ride. I wonder how often that happens at WDW. I love that I can take my things onto rides at Disney, but damn do I clutch them tightly throughout the whole ride!

Anyone at the parks today to see if they’re walking back the locker fees yet?

I couldn't believe they didn't just stick with mostly the same size they originally had, as those were plenty roomy without being terribly space-intensive. They should have kept half at the original size, and turned half of the locker areas into the new small ones. I could fit my DSLR bag (body+lens, and 3 more lens compartments, so not exactly small) plus tripod into the original lockers. I also was very surprised and disappointed to see both the size and number of the new large lockers when they debuted at Hulk.

I bet merch didn’t know about this and will have some feedback for them.
At the very least it would encourage people to make their purchases as they are leaving (which is my preferred plan anyways), but that also prevents a lot of mid day impulse buying for the informed. People on site probably wouldn't care so much, or those with enough time to have their stuff delivered to the front.

From what I've heard on here and the UOAP Facebook page, there are a lot of unhappy people going at GS, only time will tell if it gets reversed.

I couldn't believe they didn't just stick with mostly the same size they originally had, as those were plenty roomy without being terribly space-intensive. They should have kept half at the original size, and turned half of the locker areas into the new small ones. I could fit my DSLR bag (body+lens, and 3 more lens compartments, so not exactly small) plus tripod into the original lockers. I also was very surprised and disappointed to see both the size and number of the new large lockers when they debuted at Hulk.
I guess it made more sense for the Hulk, because you need to empty all phones and small stuff from your wallets. So they needed to increase the number of lockers to accommodate all guests (instead of only bag guests like it was when the first set of lockers were built).

It makes less sense to then bring the same ratio of large to small lockers to rides that only require bags to be lockered though.

Does anyone else think that this may be in preparation for the busiest time of the year? And then it will be switched back after the holidays?

One can dream, right?

Does anyone else think that this may be in preparation for the busiest time of the year? And then it will be switched back after the holidays?

One can dream, right?

My first thought was "how impractical". My second was "oh, that was sarcasm." ;)

I would think they would test it out during a less busy season so GS wasn't nailed with complaints. Then again, go big or go home, am I right?

What's next, a locker pass you can buy in advance that gives you full access to all available ride lockers (upcharge available for day lockers)?

Any merchandise that you buy can be sent to the front of the park for pick up when you leave.

Empty your freestyle cup and refill after riding.

Bags (purses, camera, diaper, backpacks) will need a locker though.
We all know about those options, but that’s not the point and we shouldn’t be making excuses for penny pinching like this.

If you’re going to force guests to use lockers, making some people pay bc their stuff can’t fit into a small locker is just poor guest service.

Part of me thinks this is penny pinching, and another part thinks this is UO trying to prevent people that DON'T NEED to use the large lockers from using them. For at least a limited time. Then one day quietly remove the upcharge.