Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 467 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I just can't picture walking to the end of Port of Entry, looking over the lagoon.. and having a coaster thwart my view of the Discovery Center. :(

I mean, considering everyone's words..how does this seemingly ruin the view of the discovery center?

It seems like it'll be very much low to the ground, so it shouldn't affect the DC having a loss of view. Does that stop Spider-Man to have a marquee that can be easily seen, without it being ruined by Hulk?

If the coaster is done right, it shouldn't even be a problem to the landscape.

Reactions: truejonas
No, we have too good of an imagination. I understand the reason for this coaster, additional thrill to attract Universal's core customer base, and the kinetic value of it. But I don'care how much you guys love coasters, but unthemed steel coasters do uglify the landscape.

No imagination in that trees would be razed, supports and track will block the view. Just because there’s no show scenes or rock work to hide the supports doesn’t mean it’s unthemed.

Is it possible they’ll use Steel Curtain like supports in front of DC and have track cut through the skyline? Possible yes. But I’m more of the belief they’ll frame DC above and below (or just below) with track, with nothing blocking the view.

We are still so early in this project to be taking speculation and spitballing into serious consideration and general condemnation of Universal.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Alicia
No imagination in that trees would be razed, supports and track will block the view. Just because there’s no show scenes or rock work to hide the supports doesn’t mean it’s unthemed.

Is it possible they’ll use Steel Curtain like supports in front of DC and have track cut through the skyline? Possible yes. But I’m more of the belief they’ll frame DC above and below (or just below) with track, with nothing blocking the view.

We are still so early in this project to be taking speculation and spitballing into serious consideration and general condemnation of Universal.
I'm not condemning Universal, I understand their reasoning. It's a good business move. Hopefully it's not as uglified as Japan's JP coaster though. Bottom line, if it cuts in front of the Discovery Center, which it surely will do, it will mar the landscape & view, even if the steel coaster's supports in the land get hidden somewhat by trees.

I'm not condemning Universal, I understand their reasoning. It's a good business move. Hopefully it's not as uglified as Japan's JP coaster though. Bottom line, if it cuts in front of the Discovery Center, which it surely will do, it will mar the landscape & view, even if the steel coaster's supports in the land get hidden somewhat by trees.
latest

Just putting this out there, the person that discovers the tech needed for anti-gravity trackless coasters will be my personal hero.

All the thrill, none of the ruined sight lines.

Win-Win

Just putting this out there, the person that discovers the tech needed for anti-gravity trackless coasters will be my personal hero.

All the thrill, none of the ruined sight lines.

Win-Win

They’re called fighter jets.
You did a decent job trying to hide it. But steel track there still gives the look of scaffolding on a building.

What if they make the supports look like bark? I remember that idea being thrown about a lot during the VB construction.

I think there's a little bit of semantic disconnect between the two camps.

When I use the phrase “unthemed coaster,” I’m talking about a coaster that makes no attempt to make the guest believe the track is anything other than a coaster track. Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs, and Everest are in-story meant to be railroads/trains. Mummy and Gringotts are - in story - meant to be mine carts. The theme and design work of the entire attractions reflect that. In every one of those cases, the purpose of being on a coaster track is intrinsically fused to the concept of the ride, and is often built-into the landscaping or is in such a dark environment as to basically render the track unseen.

For example, I would consider the actual Hulk coaster to be unthemed -- the overall attraction has a theme and a story, of course, but the actual ride itself is just green steel. Place it next to Everest, and the difference is apparent. I will not say one approach is objectively better, because not everybody is looking for the same things from coaster attractions, but I can say I definitely prefer one style over the other.

Also, I don’t think anybody’s in here generally condemning Universal. Some of us aren’t enthused by the company’s plans for the land, but I think we’re mostly engaging here in good fun and with an (attempted) sense of humor about it.

Hey, the anti-Universal complaint used to be about how it was a "thrill park", so it is a bit nostalgic

Nobody in here is even close to being "anti-Universal," though. We can be critical about something and still love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.