Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Zootopia (SDL)

Glad to see they are going forward with more expansion on this park already.

I just feel that Zootopia is a no brainer for Animal Kingdom. Okay, I get it, it’s a completely loose tie-in because it has animals. But, I’m pretty sure NOBODY that enters animal kingdom will scratch there head wondering why a city with an animal themed land is in the park. This actually would make more sense than Avatar.

So basically ANY themed land could fit Hollywood studios? I disagree 100% with this. Toy Story Land doesn’t fit with any of the parks in Orlando. They just dumped it in HS because it’s geared towards kids and it needed that in the park.
What people are saying is DHS is basically transitioning to a "Step into the movies" park, so yes, any land where you are immersed into the world of something like Zootopia or Indiana Jones, would fit extremely well into the park.

DAK needs expansion, but Zootopia is an incredibly bad fit and you'll find this is an opinion shared by most. Just because a park needs rides doesn't mean you just throw anything down there and call it a day.

I don't think Pandora is much of a major thematic break in Animal Kingdom. The movie is explicitly about some of the concerns the park addresses.
Fully agreed. I think the land fits the park beautifully in multiple ways.

It’ll be a quick retheme of Winnie-the-Pooh. The facade will be a lot like Monsters Inc in DCA.

There’s a reason why this is “Shanghai exclusive”. It’s because Disney feels comfortable having Winnie the Pooh in every other park worldwide.

I get the impression, especially with the box office in China; it won't be as shoved in as that.

Are you sure about that? Because literally everybody that I see on Twitter is calling for this to be put in Animal Kingdom.
I would say an opinion shared by most who care about theme (or are thinking about it). Most Disney fans on here and other places like Magic seem to be against it.

I get why people automatically think DAK when they hear Zootopia (it's a movie about animals so surely it must fit in Animal Kingdom, right?), but all it takes is a quick examination of DAK's theme to reveal how poor of a fit it would be.
-------------
Let's try to keep this to Shanghai Disney discussion, though.

Can we all collectively agree that this would be a better fit for the empty land between Africa and Asia at DAK? You know... as opposed to the barren, desolate expansion pad? That no-man’s land that you see from aerials, with just construction materials left in it?

They could even keep the train (just have it go to the right towards the new land, and not to the left to Planet Watch). Not saying it’s a lock just yet, but if it brings back the train and adds rides to the park, I am open to the idea.

Can we all collectively agree that this would be a better fit for the empty land between Africa and Asia at DAK? You know... as opposed to the barren, desolate expansion pad? They could even keep the train (just have it go to the right towards the new land, and not to the left to Planet Watch).
No. :lol:

There are many other ways to expand the park in a natural way where the expansion won't feel out of place with the rest of the park.

Well this is wonderful news to hear, even though it's another case of the stuff I personally want to see is overseas at a park I don't see myself visiting anytime soon. (Though admittedly, this doesn't sting as much as BatB going to TDL...where WDW passed it up -twice-.)

There are no plans to bring this to DAK.

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to bring this stateside?

I get why people automatically think DAK when they hear Zootopia (it's a movie about animals so surely it must fit in Animal Kingdom, right?), but all it takes is a quick examination of DAK's theme to reveal how poor of a fit it would be.

Not to keep this totally off-topic but I think calling this an "incredibly horrible bad fit" is a bit of a stretch. I can think of a thousand things that are worse fits... what if we did TRON in DAK, for example? At least Zootopia has animals in it, and as much as we talk about thematic integrity both the GP and the powers that be really only care about adhering to the "Animal" moniker in the name.

DAK needs a Fantasyland, and the franchise makes a lot money for the company so it's probably for the best we swallow this pill now, I can't see how this isn't inevitable within the next ten years. At the very least they will hopefully separate it from the main park via train so it's not insanely intrusive.

ANYWAYS: Good for Shanghai. If this replaces Pooh, it'd be odd since those attractions are in the middle of Fantasyland, unless they expand outward. Look forward to hearing more about the attractions soon.

A Couple things that need to be nipped in the bud...

This is slated for the expansion pad behind SDMT and by Pirates Cove. Once upon a time it was marked for Everest, coincidentally that is the biggest thing Zootopia has in common with Animal Kingdom.

It is NOT a Pooh replacement, it has been in development well before that.

-One, because everyone who was aware of this project says so. This has essentially be in development since 2016.
-Two because it's a major E-ticket attraction, not an overlay of a C-ticket
-Three because it's a new land, Pooh is strictly in Fantasyland

Next, it will remain a Shanghai exclusive. There are no active plans for Zootopia in WDW.

Finally, it does not belong in AK anyways. If AK is so desperate for something, there is another movie that made more money domestically than Zootopia that does not have a significant parks presence. One which Joe could make fit much more seamlessly (if Iger demanded another IP to AK integration) - Jungle Book.

Don't want to run things completely off the rails, but at least this is on topic for Shanghai.

I think if the Pooh thing really, truly forces a change, the logical thing would be a Tangled overlay. The restaurant and facade already abuts the area nicely.

Next, it will remain a Shanghai exclusive. There are no active plans for Zootopia in WDW.

Soarin 2.0 and Tron were talked about as Shanghai exclusives, so was Ratatouille for Paris. Disney works out contracts with them that has set exclusivity dates on them, which doesn't include construction time. So while the plans don't exist now, they may eventually down the road.

Soarin 2.0 and Tron were talked about as Shanghai exclusives, so was Ratatouille for Paris. Disney works out contracts with them that has set exclusivity dates on them, which doesn't include construction time. So while the plans don't exist now, they may eventually down the road.

Fair enough. Although Soarin 2.0 was always a timed exclusive with the opening day, there were plans to bring it to all the other installations all along.

Anything can of course happen.

As of today Disney is not planning Zootopia in WDW. They have been developing this expansion for a couple of years now and still as of today do not want to bring it to WDW. That does not preclude it from ever happening as you say, but it's certainly not the current plan. I think people look at things and think they are a foregone conclusion, but that's not the case.

There was/is more interest in Indy/Jungle Book/Moana than Zootopia.

Zootopia 2 is rumored to be announced at D23, btw. Grain of salt, but that's what I've heard. If so, Bob Chapek's greedy heart might have a change of plans.

Zootopia 2 is rumored to be announced at D23, btw. Grain of salt, but that's what I've heard. If so, Bob Chapek's greedy heart might have a change of plans.

All partner exclusives carry a five year contract these days, ever since OLC and the HK government threw fits about the exorbitant R&D costs Disney/WDI was essentially double dipping for.

So if it comes domestically it will be 2028, in which case I'm sure they'll wait on the sequel's domestic performance to decide.

Zootopia has a lot of climates, and a lot of attraction possibilities.

If I'm willing to bet, I am almost thinking this is their Pandora; with one attraction being a simulator using the Flight of Passage system as you "Glide around the many places that inhabit the commune of herbivores and carnivores".

And the other, would be the proper dark ride, with both Judy and Nick present.

I know it's not unsual to use similar ride tech in the same park but that just seems weird with Soarin already there... but Soarin is one of the most popular rides at SDL so maybe.

I'm inclined to think the leaked plan with everest behind pooh gives us a good idea of the potential size and scope of the project. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar ride system either.

Fair enough. Although Soarin 2.0 was always a timed exclusive with the opening day, there were plans to bring it to all the other installations all along.

Anything can of course happen.

As of today Disney is not planning Zootopia in WDW. They have been developing this expansion for a couple of years now and still as of today do not want to bring it to WDW. That does not preclude it from ever happening as you say, but it's certainly not the current plan. I think people look at things and think they are a foregone conclusion, but that's not the case.

There was/is more interest in Indy/Jungle Book/Moana than Zootopia.

Mind me asking your sources?

Tron did get a 5 year exclusivity, as per normal (Shanghai 2016, WDW 2021). Soarin 2.0 was always meant to be used in DCA and Epcot almost immediately. Technically they did have the "exclusivity" of "having it first" though.

Your point is correct though, we could see this down the road.

Mind me asking your sources?
You know as well as most that if someone has sources, they aren't going to go around telling everyone who they are.

Last edited: