Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Comcast 4th Qtr Theme Park Financials

Key number to follow is long-term debt: that went up from $59 billion to $107 billion due to the Sky purchase.

Comcast would ideally like to bring that down to around $85-90 billion in the next 3-4 years I'd guess.

Key number to follow is long-term debt: that went up from $59 billion to $107 billion due to the Sky purchase.

Comcast would ideally like to bring that down to around $85-90 billion in the next 3-4 years I'd guess.
a good sign is that Sky turned a profit for the quarter. .....Imagine the debt load if they would have been stuck with Fox.

a good sign is that Sky turned a profit for the quarter. .....Imagine the debt load if they would have been stuck with Fox.
Yeah, and after seeing the valuations on the RSNs, I'm really beginning to wonder what exactly Disney is getting outside of that Hulu stake and Star India.

The rest of the assets seem to be extremely overinflated.

I never liked the FOX deal. I never thought what they had was worth that kind of money being bandied about...and Comcast basically got what they primarily wanted, namely SKY. Though they seemingly were keyed in on Star India too. ....they actually came out a bit higher than street expectations. $.84 a share vs. expected $.82 a share. Internet customers really took off again, though they lost a small amount of cable customers, as the bleeding on that end continues, though at a fairly slow pace.

I never liked the FOX deal. I never thought what they had was worth that kind of money being bandied about...and Comcast basically got what they primarily wanted, namely SKY. Though they seemingly were keyed in on Star India too. ....they actually came out a bit higher than street expectations. $.84 a share vs. expected $.82 a share. Internet customers really took off again, though they lost a small amount of cable customers, as the bleeding on that end continues, though at a fairly slow pace.
Yeah, all of the numbers look fine at the moment. The cable transition from video to internet continues as internet $ grows fast enough to overcome video $ declines.

Theme parks look fine, most of the growth phase from HP is done, so now it's going to be up to Nintendo and Beijing and the 2nd Orlando resort to really juice the numbers. I expect 2-4% growth for theme parks (basically just inflation with very small attendance growth) the next 2-3 years until things really kick into high gear with Nintendo and Orlando/Beijing.

Movie/Studio earnings should be fine now that DreamWorks will come online to stabilize the movie production with 3-4 animated movies expected every year. That should reduce the boom-bust nature of the studio if there's an expected 3-4 big animated movies every year compared to previous years when it was too dependent on Jurassic or F&F and typically 1 Illumination movie.

Sky's numbers look fine in the UK.

The biggest short-term issue is Sky's continental issues, especially in Germany/Austria. Everything else really looks fine in the short-term.

Yeah, all of the numbers look fine at the moment. The cable transition from video to internet continues as internet $ grows fast enough to overcome video $ declines.

Theme parks look fine, most of the growth phase from HP is done, so now it's going to be up to Nintendo and Beijing and the 2nd Orlando resort to really juice the numbers. I expect 2-4% growth for theme parks (basically just inflation with very small attendance growth) the next 2-3 years until things really kick into high gear with Nintendo and Orlando/Beijing.

Movie/Studio earnings should be fine now that DreamWorks will come online to stabilize the movie production with 3-4 animated movies expected every year. That should reduce the boom-bust nature of the studio if there's an expected 3-4 big animated movies every year compared to previous years when it was too dependent on Jurassic or F&F and typically 1 Illumination movie.

Sky's numbers look fine in the UK.

The biggest short-term issue is Sky's continental issues, especially in Germany/Austria. Everything else really looks fine in the short-term.
Yes, numbers are looking good. I'm expecting a bit above that though for theme parks in the second half of 2019 and first half of 2020 with the Potter coaster (Orlando) and JP redo (Hollywood) spurring attendance. There really wasn't anything to kick attendance in 2018 since F&F was so bad it fell flat on it's face and Hollywood only had a minor redo of the Shrek building. Not sure of what's happening in Japan before Nintendo. Potter always kicks attendance into a higher gear. Just one attraction, not a whole land, but it should bring those "robe wearing minions" out in full force.

Last edited:
Comcast 4th quarter 2018 posted a 3.5 % increase in theme park revenue. That was a rebound from the loss in the third quarter, that was largely affected by the natural disaster in Japan.

Must have been the trips maddog and I took down there in December, gave Bar American a lot of my money....