Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lion King attraction?

Apr 3, 2018
Charlotte
Let me preface this by saying that I have zero evidence for this being an official project, but it’s safe to say that the new “live action” Lion King will be a license to print money. I’m not sure what they would want to do with this IP, but it seems strange that there is not a ride based on what is arguably Disney’s most beloved animated IP. Maybe the eventual replacement for Dinosaur?

Let me preface this by saying that I have zero evidence for this being an official project, but it’s safe to say that the new “live action” Lion King will be a license to print money. I’m not sure what they would want to do with this IP, but it seems strange that there is not a ride based on what is arguably Disney’s most beloved animated IP. Maybe the eventual replacement for Dinosaur?

More than likely I expect Festival of the Lion King to receive a minor tie-in to the new film; new song, etc. Other than that, I don't expect anything new coming to the parks.

There actually was a plan a few years ago for a small dark ride to go next to Festival of the Lion King when they built the new theater. The ride unfortunately got cut from the project, but the land is still there for it to potentially happen some day. This is all stuff Martin has spoken about so i'm fairly confident in it.

A small dark ride with good capacity would be a very nice addition in that spot (even if it could run the risk of being a little redundant with the show right there), and would be another good step to help round out the park's offerings. If the new LION KING is a megahit, it would make so much sense.

Which means it almost surely won't happen.

I've been following this since last month, and there definitely seems to be something to it. Stumbled upon this thread yesterday while researching for an article. Here's what I have so far on what Disney is calling "Project Lion":

A good read article. :thumbsup:

Just a little insight: Used to work KSR, there really isn’t enough room behind FoLK for a show building. Not saying this isn’t happening, I’m just saying unless they’re moving the KSR truck lot, and re-routing the perimeter road, it most likely won’t be behind FoLK.

Just a little insight: Used to work KSR, there really isn’t enough room behind FoLK for a show building. Not saying this isn’t happening, I’m just saying unless they’re moving the KSR truck lot, and re-routing the perimeter road, it most likely won’t be behind FoLK.

Yep, no space unless they move things around. The other location could be by the railroad. Enough space back there, but pretty far from the majority of Africa.

Yep, no space unless they move things around. The other location could be by the railroad. Enough space back there, but pretty far from the majority of Africa.
Yes, I think some things would move around. I changed the word "behind" to "near" in the story though, because as it was described to me may be a bit misleading.

Although this is likely a pipe dream, DAK certainly needs more low tier attractions. That’s why I don’t mind Na’vi River. The park needs 2 more B/C tickets to be relatively fleshed out. At least before the next major expansion whether that be Dino redo or between Africa/Asia.

Although this is likely a pipe dream, DAK certainly needs more low tier attractions. That’s why I don’t mind Na’vi River. The park needs 2 more B/C tickets to be relatively fleshed out. At least before the next major expansion whether that be Dino redo or between Africa/Asia.
Yea, I went there with two small children and only then do you realize how little there is for them to do. Dinosaur is too scary, they'r too short for the thrills rides, and oh boy id It's Tough to Be a Bug terrify them! The animal stuff is fun, and they have character greetings, but we need another ride for the little ones for sure.

Yea, I went there with two small children and only then do you realize how little there is for them to do. Dinosaur is too scary, they'r too short for the thrills rides, and oh boy id It's Tough to Be a Bug terrify them! The animal stuff is fun, and they have character greetings, but we need another ride for the little ones for sure.
Without replacing the existing rides :)

If they move some backstage stuff they could build it near FoLK, in the space between Pandora and Africa.

I won't accept it if they make an Lion King ride without a Pride Rock facade of some sort. The biggest problem is that even with a good use of forced perspective it might be a bit too big.