Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to have a disconnect that someone who wants things to be more immersive somehow "forgets" they are in a theme park. No one who isn't a complete psychopath believes that.

I'll use this as an example: Would you think it just as fine that Diagon Alley used straight up and down squared buildings and not leaning ones? Because "what idiot would think you're actually in Diagon Alley?" No... they did them crooked because that's how they should be done. No one believes it's actually Diagon Alley. No one forgets they're at Universal.
And Universal spent more money and time to make it more immersive to allow for greater suspension of reality/belief for their guests.

My point isadding a ride to a theme park land in no way makes it less immersive.

A park that focuses on live Dinosaurs as their main attraction and very little on typical theme park rides if at all.

The movies focus on live Dinos, but allude to there being much more there too. It is a themepark after all :ears:

Listen, I'm gonan be frank, if you're an adult complaining because some trees getting cut down remind you that you're in a theme park (which you are), you've got bigger issues than some roller coaster track

The thing I don't understand is the complaints that a construction site looks like a huge mess. Obviously they're going to make it look nice again after they get all the big trucks and equipment out of there... Complaints about the arches are legitimate but really that is minor, does it actually ruin anyone's experience?

I don't think anyone has been complaining about the construction site. They are worried and I am worried that Universal will not get it right this time. Universal has done a lot of things perfectly and other things not so much. Take Hollywood Rip Ride Rock it for an example. They built this coaster right through the New York area and it doesn't match anything.

If I recall correctly, everyone who has brought up the loss of trees has also stated they are hopeful for this coaster after hearing of animatronics and the end scene. If the final product looks pretty with newly added greenery, then that is great! Universal doesn't really have the best track record on things that are not Harry Potter, so it is not out of place to show some hesitancy.

I don't know about y'all, but I come to Universal for the attractions. Not the theming, that's a bonus. IOA could have horrible theming outside the rides and I'd still love the park.
My favorite thing about universal is walking out of the ride (after I leave the gift shop of course) and feeling like I’m still *kinda* in the world that I just rode a ride for.
So idk.

I don't know about y'all, but I come to Universal for the attractions. Not the theming, that's a bonus. IOA could have horrible theming outside the rides and I'd still love the park.

Not me, and not most. Hence the tens of millions that attend WDW and UOR vs their local amusement park. It's both.

If I wanted to ride a better coaster than anything Orlando has, I'd fly to Sandusky, OH instead of Orlando, FL and save a fortune in the process.

Theming is important to me, but if people do understand it's not going to be a rollercoaster over dirt I still don't understand the complaints about removing trees for construction.

I legit wouldn't spend the money to go to any Disney or Universal park if the theming wasn't there to go along with the rides. The theming is what puts them a notch above. The rides would still be fine, but not worth the money they charge w/o the theming.

Not me, and not most. Hence the tens of millions that attend WDW and UOR vs their local amusement park. It's both.

If I wanted to ride a better coaster than anything Orlando has, I'd fly to Sandusky, OH instead of Orlando, FL and save a fortune in the process.

I'm not refering to the coasters, just the rides in general. The only place where I care about the theming more than the rides themselves is Phantasialand, because the theming makes the rides there. Universal could still stand out without its theming.

Anyways, I mostly ignore what's around me on the way to the rides. But that's just me.

Put your phone down and pay attention to your surroundings on your next vacation. There's some great things to see that you'll miss if you just bolt ride to ride.

Wanna know something funny? I've never had a phone on vacation.

Given, I've only gone during free events for my dad's work, so that might be why I don't care about the money I paid to get in there. I'm just barreling through the crowds to try and get to the rides.

I legit wouldn't spend the money to go to any Disney or Universal park if the theming wasn't there to go along with the rides. The theming is what puts them a notch above. The rides would still be fine, but not worth the money they charge w/o the theming.

They're not worth the money they charge *with* the theming.

My view is the theming is great. But I care less and less about it as I've become older. Give me more to do. I don't care if that means you can't theme every ride to be Forbidden Journey or the Potter Coaster. Just give me more. I certainly won't throw a fit if I can see a show building or a piece of coaster track here and there.

My view is the theming is great. But I care less and less about it as I've become older. Give me more to do. I don't care if that means you can't theme every ride to be Forbidden Journey or the Potter Coaster. Just give me more.

For some they go in the opposite direction, I mean there’s a reason why many people consider Epcot their favorite park.

My $0.02 is Jurassic Park is an actual amusement park with rides and dinosaurs. The general public understands this concept. Having roller coasters on the island makes sense, same for games of skill.

Wanna know something funny? I've never had a phone on vacation.

Given, I've only gone during free events for my dad's work, so that might be why I don't care about the money I paid to get in there. I'm just barreling through the crowds to try and get to the rides.
The phone thing was more a metaphor than anything. If you're just barreling through crowds then you might as well be looking at a phone because you aren't appreciating what's around you. I get the want to make sure you do everything, but IOA and USF don't have enough rides to where if you only do one park per day, you cant do them all with relative ease.

My view is the theming is great. But I care less and less about it as I've become older. Give me more to do. I don't care if that means you can't theme every ride to be Forbidden Journey or the Potter Coaster. Just give me more. I certainly won't throw a fit if I can see a show building or a piece of coaster track here and there.
This is true, but talk about stripping the theming away and then what are we doing here? Why would anyone both to travel to Orlando? It would just be 7 large parks with a few big coasters and a bunch of boxes with rides inside. Not that that's not what it already is anyway, but it's not what you see in most places. The theming hides the boxes, so it at least gives you a sense of immersion for a bit.

Basically what i'm saying is imagine if Hogsmeade had been built with Forbidden Jorney, but Hogwarts wasn't there. It was just a box. That takes away from the experience, no? Hogwarts is the big "OMG" moment for so many people.

This is true, but talk about stripping the theming away and then what are we doing here? Why would anyone both to travel to Orlando? It would just be 7 large parks with a few big coasters and a bunch of boxes with rides inside. Not that that's not what it already is anyway, but it's not what you see in most places. The theming hides the boxes, so it at least gives you a sense of immersion for a bit.

Basically what i'm saying is imagine if Hogsmeade had been built with Forbidden Jorney, but Hogwarts wasn't there. It was just a box. That takes away from the experience, no? Hogwarts is the big "OMG" moment for so many people.

I would never say they shouldn't theme things when they can. I just think fans of these parks have this insane idea that if something isn't completely in a show building, hidden by rockwork, etc, that it has no value and detracts from the experience. When normal guests generally don't give a hoot about that. If the overall experience is at a high level, not every ride needs to be that. Disney and Universal have in the past (IMO) neglected fun at the alter of "technically impressive" or "highly themed". I think there needs to be a balance.

Just like to point out, the Jurassic Park game made by Telltale actually features a roller coaster at one point.

jessemaccabe_jp_dinoRide.jpg

Too bad we couldn't get a real live version of this :look:

Status
Not open for further replies.