Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I never really understood the hate with the current entrance to Epcot. I always thought it was unique and interesting to look at. With the “New” entrance I won’t even think twice when I look at trees/plants. But, I do feel that this change is a vast improvement. It just looks more inviting. Having said that, I’m not a fan of the flags. I think it looks cheap.

Reactions: tankart150
:shrug:

I *loved* Epcot. The new direction is not a problem for me as it will be better than what was before it, but I'm not sure Epcot fans will be all that thrilled with Generic Character Park #2
Why is it that Disney gets criticized for “Generic Character Parks” but not Universal? Simply because they were around before non-character based rides were all the rage? :eek:O:

So... will this new entrance be bigger than the Tangled toilets announcement ?:eek:O:
Personally I am glad we are getting a cleaner and IMHO better Epcot entrance and hopefully this is the start of the Futureworld redo we have been waiting for

Search your feelings. You know the answer.

Epcot and USF are Apples and Oranges.

Seriously. I'd never complain about DHS getting more movie attractions. I also don't care about MK getting more*. Like, come on. This is a ridiculous question.

I even said I'm *fine* with the new direction. Disney is what Disney is at this point, and there's no sense whinging about it. But I'm still not going to be thrilled that Epcot is becoming a generic, amorphous park with no direction. But hey, we're getting some good rides out of it, so whatever.

*As long as they don't ruin classics in the process

Why is it that Disney gets criticized for “Generic Character Parks” but not Universal? Simply because they were around before non-character based rides were all the rage? :eek:O:

Epcot and Universal Studios Florida were designed with two radically different mission statements.

USF - "Ride the Movies." So of course everything in the park is going to be IP/character-based.

Epcot - "Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man’s ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere." That's considerably more grand in scope and ambition than any other park in Orlando.

But hey, we're getting some good rides out of it, so whatever.

We hope we're getting some good rides out of it. Only Ratatouille is a known quantity at this point.

Search your feelings. You know the answer.

Epcot and USF are Apples and Oranges.
Actually my feelings wouldn’t tell me they are too different. I wasn’t alive in the pre-character era at Epcot. My first visit was in ‘98, and I was 6. As far as I have ever known the park, it’s been one of the worst parks in Orlando with nothing all that special about it.

I know people loved it, but I could care less about the past. I’ll take what they’re doing now over the nothing they’ve been doing for decades any day of the week.

We hope we're getting some good rides out of it. Only Ratatouille is a known quantity at this point.

I mean, I literally will take any coaster. The Guardians coaster is almost certainly going to be my favorite in the park by a wide margin.

Actually my feelings wouldn’t tell me they are too different. I wasn’t alive in the pre-character era at Epcot. My first visit was in ‘98, and I was 6. As far as I have ever known the park, it’s been one of the worst parks in Orlando with nothing all that special about it.

I know people loved it, but I could care less about the past. It hasn’t been all that good in decades.

I mostly don't disagree at all with what you say here. Epcot has sucked for a long, long time. The new direction will (hopefully) change that. But I also can't say that turning Epcot into just another park that isn't all that distinct from MK or DHS is all that exciting, overall, for me. It will still be the park I'm interested in least at WDW even if it does improve a bit.

I know people loved it, but I could care less about the past. It hasn’t been all that good in decades.

I know Retro Epcot died a long time ago, and have accepted it'll never be what it was, but if you're going to evolve the park - it still should have an underlying theme. Although not as directly as it used to be, USF is tied together with movies coming to life. IOA is tied very loosely with literary adventures. If you had to explain Epcot, how would you go about it - and what separates it from MK or DHS?

:shrug:

I *loved* Epcot. The new direction is not a problem for me as it will be better than what was before it, but I'm not sure Epcot fans will be all that thrilled with Generic Character Park #2
Eh. I’m normally one to jump on the criticism wagon, but making this park appeal to kids makes sense to me. I enjoyed Epcot as a kid but never really loved it. I see it both ways, really. Kids don’t want to feel like they’re on a school trip on their vacation but adults do because there’s some nostalgia there. I’m sure Disney realizes this and are attempting to strike some balance.

Reactions: ReelJustice
Eh. I’m normally one to jump on the criticism wagon, but making this park appeal to kids makes sense to me. I enjoyed Epcot as a kid but never really loved it. I see it both ways, really. Kids don’t want to feel like they’re on a school trip on their vacation but adults do because there’s some nostalgia there. I’m sure Disney realizes this and are attempting to strike some balance.

Epcot was my favorite parks as a kid. :lol:

But I think the idea that Epcot has to be one or the other is the lazy way of viewing it. I think it's going to swing wildly into the opposite direction under Chapek.

I know Retro Epcot died a long time ago, and have accepted it'll never be what it was, but if you're going to evolve the park - it still should have an underlying theme. Although not as directly as it used to be, USF is tied together with movies coming to life. IOA is tied very loosely with literary adventures. If you had to explain Epcot, how would you go about it - and what separates it from MK or DHS?
Epcot is a 24/7 Worlds fair celebrating all the different countries in the world. Easy.

My BIGGEST problem with Epcot has always been World Showcase, not future world. It desperately needs MORE rides. For decades it’s had 2 mediocre boat rides. Disney is FINALLY doing something about it.

Reactions: tankart150
My BIGGEST problem with Epcot has always been World Showcase, not future world. It desperately needs MORE rides. For decades it’s had 2 mediocre boat rides. Disney is FINALLY doing something about it.

by adding a mediocre trackless ride?

World showcase needs more countries...Future World needs better rides...