Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 231 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Recent discussions on various MAGIC threads trending to sources saying ROR's testing has been unreliable for some time. Seems that there were discussions on whether to wait and open later until they fixed ROR issues, or just go ahead and open early. Fear of costly breakdowns with ROR and no real timetable for when it will become reliable....Of course, none of this is official, but they do have a few posters over there that usually have a pretty good handle on what's happening.

RotR testing unreliably does match up pretty well with what I've been reading as well. Jim Disney of Westcoaster did mention that they're taken aback by the phased opening, and while he couldn't go into specifics, it essentially boiled down to either opening early to help capacity and earn F&B/Merch sales...or delay the opening for the land significantly.

Reactions: Mad Dog
What is the general consensus on Smuggler’s Run? Obviously it hasn’t opened yet, but do many fans consider it to be a true E-Ticket due to it’s simulator nature?

I’m just curious to see where it stands, considering it’s been dwarfed by RotR (and rightfully so), but when considered in its own context, is it a true signature attraction?

I think Disney intends for it to be a signature attraction and a true E-ticket.

Personal preferences may vary, of course, but my own expectations for it are pretty low. I'm expecting Star Tours Part III (especially if you're stuck as an Engineer) in a spectacularly detailed ride cabin. I'm sure it will be a fun simulator, and the experience of just being in the Falcon will go a long way.

I'm infinitely more excited about Rise of the Resistance.

Reactions: Blaw923 and Dhdhddh
That video is quite underwhelming. Of course, I know it's not finished, bit it's all so.....brown. I hope they pop in a bunch of colors all over the place because it all looks so bland.

That video is quite underwhelming. Of course, I know it's not finished, bit it's all so.....brown. I hope they pop in a bunch of colors all over the place because it all looks so bland.
Such a contrast with Universal's Hagrid ride & AK's Pandora . Hagrid & Pandora are lush and green and SWL is true & complete rockwork. But I guess that's the look Disney wants for this new SW locale. I understand where they're coming from, but I would have preferred a planet location with some color too. As I've said before, these village buildings remind me a bit of IOA's Port of Entry, but bleached of any color.....It's still going to be a fantastic land, though somewhat drab looking. .

I don't disagree about the land lacking a little pop of color, but once inside the land, I don't think it will be something that's incredibly noticeable either. It's just the look of the land. Hell, Tatooine and Jakku both are very similar in look and feel to Batuu. So there's precedent for this type of look within the Star Wars canon.

Lmao to people downplaying how good this land looks because it’s “too brown.” Star Wars movies (aside from the prequels which Disney’s LucasFilm has distanced itself from) are typically based in earth tones and then the interiors have the striking color. The land looks phenomenal and I would argue on par with Disney Sea in terms of scale and detail (from all of the current images.)

Lmao to people downplaying how good this land looks because it’s “too brown.” Star Wars movies (aside from the prequels which Disney’s LucasFilm has distanced itself from) are typically based in earth tones and then the interiors have the striking color. The land looks phenomenal and I would argue on par with Disney Sea in terms of scale and detail (from all of the current images.)
Yeah I really don’t understand that complaint.

Additionally, I don’t trust the narrative that all of a sudden, there’s a problem with ROTR, hence why it’s a phased opening. This has to be a choice to do a combination of two things 1). Let Smuggler’s Run go through operational bugs and make that ride and its ops a well-oiled machine so that when ROTR opens, they’ve got another ride that can eat people, making the land more inhabitable. 2). Dissuade everyone from coming at once.

Reactions: HPFred
Additionally, I don’t trust the narrative that all of a sudden, there’s a problem with ROTR, hence why it’s a phased opening. This has to be a choice to do a combination of two things 1). Let Smuggler’s Run go through operational bugs and make that ride and its ops a well-oiled machine so that when ROTR opens, they’ve got another ride that can eat people, making the land more inhabitable. 2). Dissuade everyone from coming at once.
The biggest thing this phased opening does (and why Disney ultimately chose to move the date up) is remove the stress of opening the land during the Holiday season. Ops pushed back majorly against it and internally Disney was worried as well of how bad it might be opening during that time so I think, even if it will be opening minus RotR, they're making the right call here.

They're also turning what is traditionally the slowest time of the year into an incredibly busy period, so there's also that.

People complaining a Star Wars land is "too brown" havent actually watched Star Wars.

It looks extremely familiar to me, even though it's a new planet. The "aged" sand speeder looked rather authentic.

People complaining a Star Wars land is "too brown" havent actually watched Star Wars.

It looks extremely familiar to me, even though it's a new planet. The "aged" sand speeder looked rather authentic.

Yea, I have some issues with some things I've seen regarding SWL, but it's very clearly gonna be one hell of a pretty land

Let's be real. Smugglers Run will have opening day problems for the first month or so. That's a given for any new, technologically innovative ride. So there's a very real possibility that guests will visit and won't experience either ride.

But it will be like Flight of Passage. Even if only 1 of 4 turntables is working, the ride will be open, just wIth a slow line. With no FP hoards coming in constantly, it won't be nearly as horrible as a crippled FoP.

Without FP, I actually expect the lines to be a bit shorter than some may expect with only one ride being open.

Let’s say the ride has a 1500 hourly capacity. 75% of the hourly capacity is normally FP, meaning roughly only 375 of 1500 stand-by riders make it on per hour. Without FP, all 1500 make it on per hour. It should make for a smoother process.

Without FP, I actually expect the lines to be a bit shorter than some may expect with only one ride being open.

Let’s say the ride has a 1500 hourly capacity. 75% of the hourly capacity is normally FP, meaning roughly only 375 of 1500 stand-by riders make it on per hour. Without FP, all 1500 make it on per hour. It should make for a smoother process.
:thumbsup: agreed, big time....and even if the line is long, at least it will be steadily 'moving'.

Personally, I'm irked that Disney has the balls to open the land "unfinished". This is your darling land, the one everyone has been waiting for.

Open it as one complete experience, or don't open it at all.

I mean. I don’t know why but it doesn’t both me that much. I really didn’t think this was coming to DHS until October/November and Disneyland June/July...

And there is a precedent of lands opening before attractions. New Orleans Square, I believe Tomorrowland had this, and I’m sure others.

Maybe they should have called this an announced soft opening?

Reactions: Andysol

Line lengths are for the most part self limiting by how many people fit in the queue. Assuming Disney did not design the queue for no FP, it likely won't hold too long of a line. Once it spills onto the midway, more people will skip it. Now, for this ride, that won't be quite so true, but there will be a point where there are so many people outside, it will tun off folks. And I would definitely assume that point will be less than 3 hours.

Classic case of Disney double dipping...Open "Phase 1" and start getting your ROI from food and beverage sales as well as all the other souvenirs they'll be offering and then open "Phase 2" which will bring the original rush of people back to experience Rise of the Resistance as well as all the people who waited to experience the fully finished land.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh