Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Springfield Expansion

just a gussied up BTTF and it's age shows.

That simulation is rough.
I love the atmosphere in the Simpsons area but have to agree. I've disliked the ride ever since it came because of the terrible projections. If they do have a contract til the late 2020's what refurbs might they do to keep the ride from completely going to :poop:

Last edited by a moderator:
So now that Disney owns Fox, what is the estimation for how much longer Springfield has at the parks? What could go in its place?

Rumor is a contract set until 2028. Not sure of how locked it in is, or if Disney can decide to yank it just because.

I'm also not sure Universal is itching to move on any time soon as they already have a loaded plate as it is. Personally, if they decide to move sooner - demo it all. Open the area up and you can get one hell of a land aka whatever the hell they decide to do with KidZone.

Rumor is a contract set until 2028. Not sure of how locked it in is, or if Disney can decide to yank it just because.

I'm also not sure Universal is itching to move on any time soon as they already have a loaded plate as it is. Personally, if they decide to move sooner - demo it all. Open the area up and you can get one hell of a land aka whatever the hell they decide to do with KidZone.

My gut feeling is Disney won't pull it because they can't really use Simpsons in the parks anywhere and instead of causing any issues they'll just rake in the licensing fees.

I guess what we need to find out is what exactly is the nature of Groening/Gracie Films and Fox's (now Disney's) relationship. As in, does Fox just distribute the show and Groening has the final say; or do they have full-on control?

Then - how do we find out info about the relationship with Universal/Comcast - and exactly how much of it is Fox or Groening.

Not a lot here but: Form 10-K has this

In addition, we license various elements based on the SimpsonsTM, including certain characters under the Fox Agreement from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (“Fox”). The Fox Agreement would be terminable in the event of our breach, or in certain cases following a change of control to which Fox did not consent. If Fox were to terminate the Fox Agreement, payments due with respect to the remaining term of the Fox Agreement will continue to be due and payable as and when they would have become due and payable, except that if the breach is a result of a change of control, then 50% of such remaining payments allocated to UCDP shall be due and payable as and when they would have become due and payable.

That suggests the contract is directly between Fox and Universal. It shows the contract can be terminated by a UNi breach. But doesn't say anything about end dates.

Universal should just replace The Simpsons area with a Dreamworks property. Back in 2007 it made a lot of sense for Uni to use the Simpson’s IP. That was pre-illumination and Dreamworks.

Not a lot here but: Form 10-K has this

In addition, we license various elements based on the SimpsonsTM, including certain characters under the Fox Agreement from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (“Fox”). The Fox Agreement would be terminable in the event of our breach, or in certain cases following a change of control to which Fox did not consent. If Fox were to terminate the Fox Agreement, payments due with respect to the remaining term of the Fox Agreement will continue to be due and payable as and when they would have become due and payable, except that if the breach is a result of a change of control, then 50% of such remaining payments allocated to UCDP shall be due and payable as and when they would have become due and payable.

That suggests the contract is directly between Fox and Universal. It shows the contract can be terminated by a UNi breach. But doesn't say anything about end dates.

That's the best trail of breadcrumbs we've got. :lol:

Universal should just replace The Simpsons area with a Dreamworks property. Back in 2007 it made a lot of sense for Uni to use the Simpson’s IP. That was pre-illumination and Dreamworks.

The Simpsons area is not even in the top 3 things needing addressed at USF. That’s unarguable.

Kidzone, FFL and Shrek are 2.5 major projects that are priority over anything else in either park. Toon Lagoon Theater is a distant 4th.

Then again, the backside of Discovery Center and JP’s lagoon was number 77 on things needing to be addressed, yet here we are. So who knows.

The Simpsons area is not even in the top 3 things needing addressed at USF. That’s unarguable.

Kidzone, FFL and Shrek are 2.5 major projects that are priority over anything else in either park. Toon Lagoon Theater is a distant 4th.

Then again, the backside of Discovery Center and JP’s lagoon was number 77 on things needing to be addressed, yet here we are. So who knows.

I’d argue that Jurassic Park needed something since that corner of the park is just straight water rides and that the largest island only had 1 ride - but that’s a different discussion altogether. Point is, yes - you’re right on USF’s needs.

I agree. The ride show building has to go at the very least, but if they were to rip out the food court, they could really open things up to connect in with the KZ land.

I’d argue that Jurassic Park needed something since that corner of the park is just straight water rides and that the largest island only had 1 ride - but that’s a different discussion altogether. Point is, yes - you’re right on USF’s needs.

Of course. But something practical replacing Toon Lagoon Theater would have been equally (actually more, based on spacing) beneficial. It's also while I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that Kong was a perfect fit in terms of placement location and being an indoor attraction. It didn't need to be kong, of course, but something indoors and dry and right there in that spot (between 3 water rides).
The same at TL Theater would be ideal. Either way, I'm glad we're getting a new JP coaster, but in terms of necessity and location, it was way down on the list.

Of course. But something practical replacing Toon Lagoon Theater would have been equally (actually more, based on spacing) beneficial. It's also while I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that Kong was a perfect fit in terms of placement location and being an indoor attraction. It didn't need to be kong, of course, but something indoors and dry and right there in that spot (between 3 water rides).
The same at TL Theater would be ideal. Either way, I'm glad we're getting a new JP coaster, but in terms of necessity and location, it was way down on the list.
I hear you and you aren’t wrong that had they been doing a project at the TL Theater it would’ve been a bigger improvement to the park.

At the same time, Jurassic Park has felt rather stale for many years now imo. This will help freshen the area up.