1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Springfield Expansion

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Florida' started by JungleSkip, Aug 31, 2012.

1. truejonas

truejonas V.I.P.

Didn't realize there was a contract "forcing" Simpsons to be there - any idea how long it goes out?

2. UniversalRBLX

UniversalRBLX Veteran Member

I had heard the contract ends sometime in the 2020s. Maybe 2028 if they signed a 20 year contract?

HPFred, truejonas and Alicia like this.
  3. truejonas

truejonas V.I.P.

Dang. I know Springfield is still a popular area with a lot of guests, but I would think there would be better options that are more relevant today. This is coming from someone who never liked Simpsons though, so I am not the target audience there.

JoeCamel likes this.
  4. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

This is why I think the hand wringing isn’t warranted. I think it’s more likely Universal moves on than Disney doesn’t renew to use themselves.

JoeCamel and SeventyOne like this.
  5. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Premium Member

I really can't see Disney being interested in having The Simpsons in the parks, even EPCOT where they like to stick anything there (did the Simpsons ever visit EPCOT!!)

6. truejonas

truejonas V.I.P.

I'm sure they'll be happy with the cut from merchandising of everything sold at Springfield, just like I am sure they are at least satisfied with MSHI merch.

UniversalRBLX likes this.
  7. TheGentTrent

TheGentTrent Member

Maybe now we know what to expect from the rumored Spaceship Earth refurbishment.

Coolbfitz, HPFred, gator and 2 others like this.
  8. joelbryant11

joelbryant11 Newcomer

I wish they could update the projection/animation on the Simpsons ride...

Went on the other day, love the jokes, story is serviceable. But it’s 2018, about to be 2019.. what is going on here?

I think the Springfield land is actually pretty cool. I hope it sticks for a little bit.

Ridgepole, SeventyOne and shiekra38 like this.
  9. PINK

PINK Newcomer

Finally got to try Bumblebee man’s Tacos. They were so good. I hated paying for the little bit of cheese sauce but other than that I really liked the place. Wish I could’ve gotten 1 more taco for that price but it’s a theme park so expected to pay more. Defintely getting the chicken nachos next time.

Will never go back to the food court again. The food was cold. Last time I went back in 14 or 15 and ate there the food was cold too. I’m glad I only got the kids meal to fit in my tacos.
    I think there’s better options at the studios.

We didn’t ride the Simpsons or Shrek. We all agreed to skip them and do Transformers again. Along with Shrek, Universal could update the films.

10. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Newcomer

I think it would be great if Universal added a new dark ride where MIB is ( once its gone) themed to the nuclear power plant. They should also add the Simpons house for meet and greets. The house could be interactive like mickeys house in toontown.

11. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Premium Member

Doing a Toontown-style Simpson’s House would be amazing. And nothing like anything else in the resort.

I personally hope they tear down the Simpsons Ride and replace it with a Nuclear Power Plant dark ride.

PINK, Andysol and therock like this.
  12. Ridgepole

Ridgepole Member

I like the ride. It is a ride. Tear it down and you got nothing for 2-3 years.... Just sayin.

13. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

You can't think like that with theme parks. 2-3 years for something that could last over 20 years.

The Simpsons Ride is essentially just a gussied up BTTF and it's age shows. All the Christie projectors in the world can't help apparently.

14. truejonas

truejonas V.I.P.

But on the plus side, you might actually get something that doesn't make you feel like you're on the real-life twirl and hurl. That simulation is rough.

therock, tielo, Andysol and 2 others like this.
  15. tielo

tielo Veteran Member

Simpsons=Fox=Disney
    I don't expect an expansion, I don't even think the show will be around for long because Matt Groening isn't a fan of Disney and ripped multiple times on the mouse and it's theme parks in the show.
    I expect the whole area is expansion/replacement lot for future projects when Universal's new theme park is done.

16. UniversalRBLX

I expect the ride to remain open until the Simpsons contract is up. If they renew the contract, a new ride will probably be built.

Fallow, Coolbfitz, GadgetGuru and 2 others like this.
  17. Gillman

Gillman Rookie

I wonder if Disney might try to use the Simpsons as a bargaining chip to get the Marvel theme park rights for WDW. I can't see Disney wanting to use the Simpsons in the parks but they definitely want to use Marvel.

natespf likes this.
  18. UniversalRBLX

The Simpsons is not as valuable as Marvel. From a business stand point, it makes no sense to give Disney Marvel.

The only thing I could see happen is Uni allowing Disney to use the name Marvel, in return to keep the Simpsons.

truejonas, krazykat and Dhdhddh like this.
  19. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

If it came down to it, Universal would flatten Simpsons tomorrow before giving up Marvel. It's just not even close to an even trade.

JM-BENT, PINK, Jones14 and 18 others like this.
  20. natespf

natespf --Classified-- Premium Member

To be fair MG didn't like Fox and ripped on them a bunch too.

Maybe not Simpson's alone but possibly part of a package deal if Disney wanted to spin off several things that didn't fit the direction they want to go. Not saying it'll happen but I was surprised how easily they let go of Oswald, though this is a completely different ballgame.