1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Springfield Expansion

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Florida' started by JungleSkip, Aug 31, 2012.

1. jacksdad

jacksdad Newcomer

Nucular.

tankart150 and GadgetGuru like this.
  2. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

Mr. Bush is a fan of universal.

3. ThatDude16

ThatDude16 Newcomer

I love the atmosphere in the Simpsons area but have to agree. I've disliked the ride ever since it came because of the terrible projections. If they do have a contract til the late 2020's what refurbs might they do to keep the ride from completely going to :poop:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
    therock likes this.
  4. Dhdhddh

Dhdhddh Rookie

So now that Disney owns Fox, what is the estimation for how much longer Springfield has at the parks? What could go in its place?

tankart150 likes this.
  5. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Rumor is a contract set until 2028. Not sure of how locked it in is, or if Disney can decide to yank it just because.

I'm also not sure Universal is itching to move on any time soon as they already have a loaded plate as it is. Personally, if they decide to move sooner - demo it all. Open the area up and you can get one hell of a land aka whatever the hell they decide to do with KidZone.

tielo, Nick, Jones14 and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

My gut feeling is Disney won't pull it because they can't really use Simpsons in the parks anywhere and instead of causing any issues they'll just rake in the licensing fees.

7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Makes sense. Revenue is always predominate, especially when you don't have to do anything, or spend any money, to bring it in.

tankart150, Dhdhddh and Ridgepole like this.
  8. KITTinKC

KITTinKC Newcomer

Can we just turn it back to BTTF and they can slowly decide what to replace it with? :lol:

Ok, I’ll stop........

tankart150, Coolbfitz and therock like this.
  9. Brian G.

I guess what we need to find out is what exactly is the nature of Groening/Gracie Films and Fox's (now Disney's) relationship. As in, does Fox just distribute the show and Groening has the final say; or do they have full-on control?

Then - how do we find out info about the relationship with Universal/Comcast - and exactly how much of it is Fox or Groening.

tielo, RevFreako and AlexanderMBush like this.
  10. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Exactly. There’s zero benefit to Disney to remove it. Just to “hurt” Universal? Nah. Money is the decider, not some vengeance that doesn’t even exist.

11. WebHead1138

WebHead1138 Member

Universal Studios Orlando is slowly turning into a Disney Park lol

12. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Not a lot here but: Form 10-K has this

In addition, we license various elements based on the SimpsonsTM, including certain characters under the Fox Agreement from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (“Fox”). The Fox Agreement would be terminable in the event of our breach, or in certain cases following a change of control to which Fox did not consent. If Fox were to terminate the Fox Agreement, payments due with respect to the remaining term of the Fox Agreement will continue to be due and payable as and when they would have become due and payable, except that if the breach is a result of a change of control, then 50% of such remaining payments allocated to UCDP shall be due and payable as and when they would have become due and payable.

That suggests the contract is directly between Fox and Universal. It shows the contract can be terminated by a UNi breach. But doesn't say anything about end dates.

13. WebHead1138

WebHead1138 Member

Universal should just replace The Simpsons area with a Dreamworks property. Back in 2007 it made a lot of sense for Uni to use the Simpson’s IP. That was pre-illumination and Dreamworks.

14. Brian G.

That's the best trail of breadcrumbs we've got. :lol:

15. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

The Simpsons area is not even in the top 3 things needing addressed at USF. That’s unarguable.

Kidzone, FFL and Shrek are 2.5 major projects that are priority over anything else in either park. Toon Lagoon Theater is a distant 4th.

Then again, the backside of Discovery Center and JP’s lagoon was number 77 on things needing to be addressed, yet here we are. So who knows.

Coolbfitz, JPRA513, natespf and 8 others like this.
  16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Simpson's is a very popular area that evidently brings in nice crowd traffic and plenty of revenue (food, beverage, alcohol, merchandise,games) . With a new park to fill, I doubt it's going anywhere until it's contract is up, if even then.

17. Brian G.

I’d argue that Jurassic Park needed something since that corner of the park is just straight water rides and that the largest island only had 1 ride - but that’s a different discussion altogether. Point is, yes - you’re right on USF’s needs.

JPRA513, natespf, truejonas and 4 others like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I agree. The ride show building has to go at the very least, but if they were to rip out the food court, they could really open things up to connect in with the KZ land.

Coolbfitz likes this.
  19. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Of course. But something practical replacing Toon Lagoon Theater would have been equally (actually more, based on spacing) beneficial. It's also while I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that Kong was a perfect fit in terms of placement location and being an indoor attraction. It didn't need to be kong, of course, but something indoors and dry and right there in that spot (between 3 water rides).
    The same at TL Theater would be ideal. Either way, I'm glad we're getting a new JP coaster, but in terms of necessity and location, it was way down on the list.

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I hear you and you aren’t wrong that had they been doing a project at the TL Theater it would’ve been a bigger improvement to the park.

At the same time, Jurassic Park has felt rather stale for many years now imo. This will help freshen the area up.

Mad Dog and Andysol like this.