Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 510 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure some lands with have a D or E then like a show or flat ride with food and that’s it. Just think they are going to have each land fully immersive so a single ride probably isn’t enough.

If China is anything to go by...that's the exact approach to all the IPs there. Two -three rides per IP with the one exception.

To say, just something (in response to @quinnmac000)..I expect a large Crque-like theater complex, more than I would ever do of Universal going all in on a ESports complex. Especially, as the dynamic of the online sport changes; I just can't see Comcast wanting to get in on doing something that could be, lucratively, dangerous.

To say, just something..I expect a large Crque-like theater complex, more than I would ever do of Universal going all in on a ESports complex. Especially, as the dynamic of the online sport changes; I just can't see Comcast wanting to get in on doing something that could be, lucratively, dangerous.

Its driven by Tucker Roberts, Brian Roberts the CEO of Comcast's son. Looking into buying gaming companies as well as the building the first major sports team esports arena in Philly, and even more so the interest of developing AAA games off their IPs is due to that guy.

Also, there were rumblings from a Comcast Spectator employee that there may be some talk about them building up something esports related in orlando.

Reactions: natespf
Its driven by Tucker Roberts, Brian Roberts the CEO of Comcast's son. Looking into buying gaming companies as well as the building the first major sports team esports arena in Philly, and even more so the interest of developing AAA games off their IPs is due to that guy.

Also, there were rumblings from a Comcast Spectator employee that there may be some talk about them building up something esports related in orlando.

Then do it in a place that is already built for the infastructure of sporting events.

I think it'd not only be a waste of space, but it would potentially be problematic if the craze dies off sooner than expected turnabouts. Not to mention, with companies like Blizzard slowing down on Esports; it would be a good time to evaluate all options.

Something more traditionally theater based (or something like Cirque proper [remembering that BMG is apart of them now after-all]); could invite more accessibility for international audiences. More-so, than something that might be more limited in what they can use.

Then do it in a place that is already built for the infastructure of sporting events.

I think it'd not only be a waste of space, but it would potentially be problematic if the craze dies off sooner than expected turnabouts. Not to mention, with companies like Blizzard slowing down on Esports; it would be a good time to evaluate all options.

Something more traditionally theater based (or something like Cirque proper [remembering that BMG is apart of them now after-all]); could invite more accessibility for international audiences. More-so, than something that might be more limited in what they can use.

Never said I wanted an esports arena. I literally just stated its becoming more likely on a daily basis.

I don't think esports will go away, remember we've been looking at CS and Madden tournaments since the early 2000s. I just don't know what having a venue for it would do for the resort. I can see a mixed-venue space that could act as an esports venue work. I mean, esports venue is just a modern sports stadium.

Reactions: youhow2 and natespf
Sees new post about new park.

Sees suggestion of them building an esports arena

me:
homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

I don't think esports will go away, remember we've been looking at CS and Madden tournaments since the early 2000s. I just don't know what having a venue for it would do for the resort. I can see a mixed-venue space that could act as an esports venue work. I mean, esports venue is just a modern sports stadium.

Honestly, I just see them handling Esports; like how EVO handles it, using their convention centers as a hub for the endeavor.

Yeah, a venue like the mixed-use space just built at WWoS would work. Would also give universal space for cheerleading and other events - potentially even concerts.

That’s the only thing that would make sense.

Reactions: natespf

I would assume it would act similar to the Wide World of Sports at Disney except for gaming. Pro teams use it to train and fans come down to watch (Atlanta Braves did it like that and their fans would go to WWOS just for that reason) Use it to have college teams come down and compete, have Comcast's owned domestic 3-4 teams come down and train as well as their international team. Hosting Nintendo sponsored super smash bros tournaments in an actual professional setting to help print merch.

Also there is this.
Disney, Universal, EA and More Team Up to Try to Bring Esports Events to Orlando - LaughingPlace.com

I would assume it would act similar to the Wide World of Sports at Disney except for gaming. Pro teams use it to train and fans come down to watch (Atlanta Braves did it like that and their fans would go to WWOS just for that reason) Use it to have college teams come down and compete, have Comcast's owned domestic 3-4 teams come down and train as well as their international team. Hosting Nintendo sponsored super smash bros tournaments in an actual professional setting to help print merch.

Also there is this.
Disney, Universal, EA and More Team Up to Try to Bring Esports Events to Orlando - LaughingPlace.com
I feel like they could host that in one of the soundstages at Studios

Is creating attractions or restaurants based on Nickelodeon still possible? The fact that they never made an accurate Krusty Krab restaurant in any of the parks baffles me.

Possible? Probably. I doubt they’d have an issue liscensing the properties. Sadly I don’t think it’ll happen though.

I would love to see Spongebob and TMNT show up in meaningful ways at UOR.

There's a Nickelodeon indoor theme park being built in New Jersey so I'm guessing they're taking back any theme park rights from Universal after any existing agreements expire.

So who knows how long Universal will be able to continue to use Spongebob in any capacity.

That all being said, Spongebob's popularity is nowhere close to what it was in its heyday so IMO it's diminishing returns on that IP as time continues to go by.

Reactions: kristenabelle
If Spongebob never gets any sort of meaningful theme park representation, it will be one of the biggest wastes of a Golden IP that I can think of.

I would say that outside of Potter and Star Wars, it's an IP that can move lots of merch and food.

But I think its popularity has declined over the years and they missed it's heyday. Still great, but not like it was once before.

It's never too late for a Spongebob land. If Springfield can have as much impact on the guests 20-30 years after the show debuted, I think a Bikini Bottom area would do just fine.
I was about to say the same. I still think Spongebob taking over Toon Lagoon would be a great spot for it, given it would be a Simpsons-level expansion, and would require mostly cosmetic changes. I’m not sure it would fit in the new park since the IP is (sadly) in decline.

Reactions: Nick and natespf
I was never a Spongebob fan, so this is all grain of salt opinion, but I never felt it had the cultural impact that would justify much more than what it has now. I could see a krusty krab QS restaurant. Maybe a small old school omnimover dark ride. But never a whole land. Now that Uni has dreamworks and illumination, I think it's even less likely that it would get any additions.

Reactions: truejonas
Status
Not open for further replies.