Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 184 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just can't wait to see how the Clerks quote lines up with Hellraiser.

Granted, while not every clue is connected to the house via the quote in the gif, this one is looking to be somewhat the case.

An as what NGWF says...

It’s not the quote that is important but who the quote is being said to. (If you’re assuming it’s Hellraiser)

The quote is being said to a couple of "Pinhead" freaks, which leads to the connection of Hellraiser.

The Clerks clue pointing at Freaks seems a bit too on the nose to me, due to the full clip actually quoting from the movie: 'One of us. Gobble Gobble'. All of the other clues have required some kind of lateral thinking to get the answer. Arriving at Hellraiser is still fairly obvious, but you still need to know that they are referring to 'pinheads' to make that connection.

However, this is my first year playing the HHN speculation game, so maybe there are always an easier clue or two.

Basing a house on Freaks is basically just asking for a storm of negative publicity in 2019.

I do wonder if getting the holy grail of Ghostbusters is why KKoOS has been bounced from the line-up. One jokey house per year.

So for the clues it seems;

Rick & Morty - Stranger Things
Clerks - Hellraiser
Family Guy - House of 1000 Corpses
Bob’s Burgers - Pumpkinhead
Johnny Bananas/American Dad - Ghostbusters
Futurama - Attack of the Swamp Yeti/Bigfoot

No reason to doubt Legacy, but two things jump out:

(1) I think Pumpkinhead and Hellraiser both fill that unofficial "horror-fan-street-cred cult 80s movie" house slot. I'd be surprised if they did both in a single year, rather than ration them out. Let's be honest, Hellraiser going to be as relevant in 2021 as it is 2019. Maybe UOR not worried about burning thru IPs but as has been mentioned before, they've used a lot, and more and more owners are taking their IPs off the table.

(2) Speaking of unofficial slots, there's seemingly always one for a new Universal film in theaters or recently on video (whatever we call that these days). Maybe there's just not a movie this year but I always expect one "that gets a house?" IP.

So for the clues it seems;

Rick & Morty - Stranger Things
Clerks - Hellraiser
Family Guy - House of 1000 Corpses
Bob’s Burgers - Pumpkinhead
Johnny Bananas/American Dad - Ghostbusters
Futurama - Attack of the Swamp Yeti/Bigfoot
What happened to Freaks/Hellraiser for Clerks?

Basing a house on Freaks is basically just asking for a storm of negative publicity in 2019.

I do wonder if getting the holy grail of Ghostbusters is why KKoOS has been bounced from the line-up. One jokey house per year.

No reason to doubt Legacy, but two things jump out:

(1) I think Pumpkinhead and Hellraiser both fill that unofficial "horror-fan-street-cred cult 80s movie" house slot. I'd be surprised if they did both in a single year, rather than ration them out. Let's be honest, Hellraiser going to be as relevant in 2021 as it is 2019. Maybe UOR not worried about burning thru IPs but as has been mentioned before, they've used a lot, and more and more owners are taking their IPs off the table.

(2) Speaking of unofficial slots, there's seemingly always one for a new Universal film in theaters or recently on video (whatever we call that these days). Maybe there's just not a movie this year but I always expect one "that gets a house?" IP.

On your first point, the '80s horror street cred slot' was filled by two different houses last year, Poltergeist as well as H4.

I've had a look at the movies Universal is releasing this year and there is an untitled Blumhouse set for Ocotber 18th, but that's all I could see that might fit for your second point.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
As far as Killer Klowns From Outer Space is concerned, I personally feel like if they want to reuse it, save it for the big 30th anniversary next year. That said, I don't want to see it in a house.

It's a cult favorite scarezone and I'd prefer to see it as an expanded scarezone, say in the Hollywood section of the park. You could go all out with the giant vacuum vehicle, and the whole "parade" aesthetic of that scene from the film.

I just think Klowns works better in the streets than the confines of a house.

So the current speculated lineup would look like:

-Stranger Things 2 + 3
-Ghostbusters
-Hellraiser/Freaks
-Pumpkinhead
-House of 1000 Corpses
-Leave it to the Cleaver 2
-Attack of the Swamp Yeti
-Original House #8
-Original House #9
-Original House #10

If this stuff ends up being true I can really see where they’re going for. There is definitely a lot of much wanted original stuff and fairly nice IPs to work with this year, but nothing that’ll make 30 seem smaller or less grand in comparison.

Stranger Things is still a huge get, but it isn’t gonna be like that forever so hitting the iron on both seasons while they’re hot is a good idea.

Ghostbusters would be a really big IP to bring to the event as well, but it isn’t what someone would immediately think of when they think of a haunt based off of a movie. It’s a little out there as an idea, but still worthwhile to do. Between putting GB on the books this year or next year, I think they made the right decision.

The rest of the IPs/Originals are all stuff that round out the event and are decently popular on their own, but wouldn’t really fit a true anniversary year quite right imo. Hellraiser/Freaks and HoTC are decently well-known properties but if they were the big IPs for 30 after we’ve gotten houses like TWD, TCM, Insidious, Halloween, NoES, etc. they might be a bit of a downgrade in recognizability a little bit. Leave it to the Cleaver 2 is the only I could see going into 30 but they probably have more than enough throwback houses lined up for next year so I could see this as a preview of things to come in a way.

Maybe I’m overthinking this. Is it the 14th yet? :p

House of 1000 Corpses somewhat fits that bill because of 3 From Hell releasing on Halloween, but it also fits the cult IP slot

Further thoughts on the Freaks vs Hellraiser debate.

I did some quick searching and found clips from both South Park and The Simpsons that reference Freaks, in particular the 'One of us' quote.

I thought it interesting that Legacy would use Clerks over either of these other cartoons because one of the characters in the clip is named Dante, which further connects to Hell(raiser).

Or maybe Legacy just likes Clerks more than The Simpsons, but I thought it worth mentioning.