Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

IF he's really back (and it's possible it's just misdirection at this point), I think it dramatically undercuts Darth Vader's arc and sacrifice in RETURN OF THE JEDI... basically the entire thrust of the character's journey in that film.

I also don't get why he wouldn't just storm back, if he found a way to escape death then.

Something tells me that he's bound to the death star in some shape or capacity.

I would accept some kind of dark Force Ghost version of the Emperor haunting the ruins of the Death Star.

Anything involving him being physically back, I would have a very, very hard time with.
Plagueis cheated death and Darth Maul was cut in half and was able to will himself to staying alive through the dark side. The idea of Sheev being able to survive is pretty in line with all canon logic.

I would accept some kind of dark Force Ghost version of the Emperor haunting the ruins of the Death Star.

Anything involving him being physically back, I would have a very, very hard time with.

That's where my line of thinking is.

It's OK to retcon plotlines that kinda had outs (i.e. If Rey actually is a Skywalker, and Kylo lied about her being a nobody - which I don't want FWIW) but to bring back Palp would just be beyond stupid. My review of TLJ admittedly said it relies on the answers the finale gives us. There's still some unanswered plots from TFA, and new questions that arose in TLJ... but I know JJ is known for not closing out the payoff. Considering that, and the news of there not being a clear line of plot direction for the new trilogy has me a bit skeptical....

IF he's really back (and it's possible it's just misdirection at this point), I think it dramatically undercuts Darth Vader's arc and sacrifice in RETURN OF THE JEDI... basically the entire thrust of the character's journey in that film.

Would they have Ian McDiarmid on stage afterwards just for a misdirection? Seems like it would be a waste of his time.

A clone? It's not like it would be a first for the series
Plagueis cheated death and Darth Maul was cut in half and was able to will himself to staying alive through the dark side. The idea of Sheev being able to survive is pretty in line with all canon logic.

Sure, the basic idea is not out of bounds for the SW universe.

It's just that it would retroactively damage Vader/Anakin's sacrifice in RETURN OF THE JEDI in a pretty profound way.

Would they have Ian McDiarmid on stage afterwards just for a misdirection? Seems like it would be a waste of his time.

Oh, I think Palpatine will almost certainly appear in the movie to some extent. But there are options other than "He's back from the dead - or never died - and has been pulling the strings all along!"

That's what I don't want to see.