Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the conceit of that ad is a lot of fun.

There ya go, it’s a giant aquarium. Commence the screen freak out/pessimism.

Can I start?

I think replacing the first lagoon scene - an expansive "natural" environment - with a narrow, enclosed tunnel with (presumably) nothing physical to look at certainly diminishes my interest in seeing this revamp come to Orlando.

The grand "Welcome to Jurassic Park/World" moment with the gates swinging open is likely gone, too, or else it's taking place in/leading to a dark corridor, which probably won't have the same impact.

I think the rest of the ride should help alleviate the screen freak outs.

I guess we'll have to see. The ride has already lost a good handful of AAs in favor of CGI stuff, though.

I think the aquarium use of screens will be very realistic and fun! :)

The idea - in concept - could be fun, but:

1. The CGI looks pretty cartoonish (as the Mosasaur does in the movies, frankly).
2. It's coming at the expense of "real," physically-in-the-same-space-with-you stuff.

I think the conceit of that ad is a lot of fun.

Can I start?

I think replacing the first lagoon scene - an expansive "natural" environment - with a narrow, enclosed tunnel with (presumably) nothing physical to look at certainly diminishes my interest in seeing this revamp come to Orlando.

The grand "Welcome to Jurassic Park/World" moment with the gates swinging open is likely gone, too, or else it's taking place in/leading to a dark corridor, which probably won't have the same impact.

I guess we'll have to see. The ride has already lost a good handful of AAs in favor of CGI stuff, though.

The idea - in concept - could be fun, but:

1. The CGI looks pretty cartoonish (as the Mosasaur does in the movies, frankly).
2. It's coming at the expense of "real," physically-in-the-same-space-with-you stuff.

Im not taking the shot from the ad as the finished product. If anything they shot in front of a green screen and added that moment in. I am confident it will look great in person.

I wonder if we'll see the gate at the end of the Mosasaur scene leading into the open-air with the theme playing. An updated version of it, just after the Mosasaur(?) I don't know why there'd be a cold-open on the ride, but... just a thought.

"Please no screens! Please no screens! Please no screens!" Universal: "Cool. Here's several MASSIVE screens!" I'm not in the screen-hating camp, just thought it was kind of funny.

As long as screens are used "correctly", I don't think anyone will have a problem. It's when screens are the sole medium where fans are starting to get temperamental over.

Fair points. I think the screen usage as an Aquarium is a fun use, but I understand the loss of openness can be a downer to some. Like always, we're gonna have to "wait 'n see" for the rest.

As long as screens are used "correctly", I don't think anyone will have a problem. It's when screens are the sole medium where fans are starting to get temperamental over.

Fair points. I think the screen usage as an Aquarium is a fun use, but I understand the loss of openness can be a downer to some. Like always, we're gonna have to "wait 'n see" for the rest.
This. While I hope we do see the return of a stegosaurus or two in there, I think the aquarium will be a cool scene. It’s obvious that this Attraction won’t be a simple “update” but changing up a lot of scenes. Some people will dig it, done won’t.

From the ad, and I do realize it’s just an ad, it kind of looks like some movement or interaction of sorts could be involved in the mosasaur scene. Love to see the flipper patent utilized to knock our boat timed with the mosasaur knocking on the glass.

The first few bumps could use the same mechanism that the hadrosaur off course effect uses, timed with the banging on the glass. But then the last bump, as seen in the commercial, actually pushes you along. Could scare the crap out of people, and add something more to bring a screen effect into real life.

If that entire new building is mosasaur...that’s be disappointing

Even though he died, just once it would be funny to have a scene where, after stuff goes wrong, you would have Samuel L Jackson saying, "Hold onto your butts". Maybe right before the pre-drop scene. I would laugh myself silly at least the first time.

I wonder if we'll see the gate at the end of the Mosasaur scene leading into the open-air with the theme playing. An updated version of it, just after the Mosasaur(?) I don't know why there'd be a cold-open on the ride, but... just a thought.

Yeah, structurally and pacing-wise, it would be kind of weird to have that "Welcome" moment anywhere other than the first scene, but I guess anything's possible.

I think a standalone aquarium-style show/viewing area could be a nifty B-ticket type experience. Hollywood probably doesn't have space for that anywhere but on the ride, but in IOA, I'd be totally cool with such a thing being added independent of River Adventure.

Totally! I'm exactly the same. I don't want a JW ride like Transformers or Spiderman. The whole premise of the movies is that dinosaurs are real and are a real threat, so why would we only see a screen that isn't "living and breathing". But in the same way CG was used in the first movie to complement the animatronics, the ride should be the same.

There really wasnt any realistic way they could make the Mosasaur without screens. The underwater tunnel is in line with concept art for the JW movie. If the reverse section could be added to this scene like Alicia said, I think it would make it much more interesting

This was the storyboard/concept art I shared many many pages ago. Wonder if this inspired the ride sequence

Attachments

• 1785260974756c46ac047e724a1cbc22.jpg
    1785260974756c46ac047e724a1cbc22.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 96
From the ad, and I do realize it’s just an ad, it kind of looks like some movement or interaction of sorts could be involved in the mosasaur scene. Love to see the flipper patent utilized to knock our boat timed with the mosasaur knocking on the glass.

The first few bumps could use the same mechanism that the hadrosaur off course effect uses, timed with the banging on the glass. But then the last bump, as seen in the commercial, actually pushes you along. Could scare the crap out of people, and add something more to bring a screen effect into real life.
Going with this angle, perhaps the ride (in the story) is strictly supposed to be taking you through the aquarium but the bump knocks you off of that path, similar to how Hadrosaur cove was blocked and that’s when things start to go awry.

Going with this angle, perhaps the ride (in the story) is strictly supposed to be taking you through the aquarium but the bump knocks you off of that path, similar to how Hadrosaur cove was blocked and that’s when things start to go awry.
Imagine that last bump is so hard, the mosasaur appears to crack the glass, and a spritz of water sprays the boat while your boat is physically bumped. People will get scared out of their mind. (You know how Universal loves to spray you!)

Status
Not open for further replies.