Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a double take-- I thought Alicia took the same shot/angle I did!

The bridge is a little claustrophobic with the construction walls, but the deck feels really solid compared to the old one.
Yea I’m not there today. But I’ll check it out tomorrow. Curious to see how it looks on the JP side.

Sorry if I’m way behind on this conversation but I haven’t been on here a lot lately lol I just recently starting catching up on everything. But have we discussed yet or confirmed what type of coaster it will be?..Themed coaster or a coaster like the Hulk? I’m hoping for a ride similar to Hagrids but obviously with Jurassic World theme.

Sorry if I’m way behind on this conversation but I haven’t been on here a lot lately lol I just recently starting catching up on everything. But have we discussed yet or confirmed what type of coaster it will be?..Themed coaster or a coaster like the Hulk? I’m hoping for a ride similar to Hagrids but obviously with Jurassic World theme.
So far the speculation is that it will lightly themed, some degree in between the Hulk and Hagrid's in relation to theme. It does appear that there will be a brief indoor scene of some type at the very beginning, and perhaps some sort of scene when it goes over the water. But nothing like the level of Hagrid's theming. More of a thrill coaster with some light theming.

So far the speculation is that it will lightly themed, some degree in between the Hulk and Hagrid's in relation to theme. It does appear that there will be a brief indoor scene of some type at the very beginning, and perhaps some sort of scene when it goes over the water. But nothing like the level of Hagrid's theming. More of a thrill coaster with some light theming.
Maybe half and half. The stuff in Triceratops Encounter area will all be heavily themed, but the stuff by lagoon will be more like Hulk.

Very, very much a case of wishful thinking, but when I first heard more about these plans for a lightly-themed thrill coaster in Jurassic Park in IoA, I immediately hoped it would be a T-Rex single-rail RMC coaster (the big brother to the Raptor single-rail that's used in Railblazer at California Great America and Golden Lasso at Fiesta Texas). This type of single-rail/monorail coaster track is so serpentine and gorgeous (very befitting for this coaster's eventual land), with very thin, ribbon-like track that requires far fewer support structures than a traditional steel coaster (thus ruining less of the Jurassic island's skyline while still being eye-catching), allows for incredible maneuvers (these are very much thrill coasters, even with how smooth they are), and, as they have such thin rails, allows for cars with smaller profiles that feel very open and offer incredible views while on the ride (Railblazer's cars are themed to atvs and they look great). While the Raptor models are great (and are the only two currently running right now, though a third is expected to go to the SF Mexico park), their tracks and cars are single-rider, 8-person models, which wouldn't work well in a park as large and busy as Universal, and their overall coaster footprints are small (the coasters are shorter rides, but damn do they haul and thrill). The T-Rex model features two-passenger-across cars, doubling each train's capacity, and the track is both (slightly) wider and built to allow longer tracks, more trains (important for capacity) and more thrilling elements, as well as taller drops, while still being very thin and cost effective (which might be important to Universal, especially if they would like to work around the buildings/rides that are remaining in JP without burying the entire land in supports, but also want to retheme large portions of the island in addition to the coaster). When I see the single-rail coasters in action and how the cars twist, dive and float along their tracks, I immediately thought of the Pteranodon and Dimorphodon escape/attack scene in the Jurassic World movie--a coaster themed to dinosaurs swooping around the land, the Discovery Center and out over the lagoon would be amazing. Also, given there are no T-Rex models built anywhere in the world, Universal would have yet another unique, can't-ride-this-anywhere-else thrill ride in its profile, which seems to be right up Universal's alley :)

Wonder Woman's theme isn't really anything to write home about, but Railblazer's is quite nice, and fits what I think UC might mean by "lightly themed", should anyone want to Google it. Also, the RB cars are more unique with their ATV look, which could also work in JP if Pteranodon cars would seem too cheesy. I mean, it's still a rollercoaster, and some fans of IoA will always be unhappy with its inevitable changing of the land and skyline, but it feels and looks like the least-intrusive model that will still provide thrills and fill out the park's coaster lineup. Given how tightly these can bend, twist, and wrap around structures (I'm thinking of the DC, in particular), this style of coaster would be ideal. Not that it will ever happen (even though RMC is currently down that way building RMC Gwazi....), but a coaster fan can dream. :drool:

/end wishful thinking

Edited to include a promotional picture of Railblazer. You can google images for the actual coaster, which is (slightly, I think) less themed than this image, but still lovely. An off-ride video of the coaster's first test runs can be found here. The official on-ride POV is here. I lovelovelove the roar this coaster makes. :)
goa%20rollercoaster%20pic_1502926310030_8015403_ver1.0_1280_720.JPG

Last edited:
Very, very much a case of wishful thinking, but when I first heard more about these plans for a lightly-themed thrill coaster in Jurassic Park in IoA, I immediately hoped it would be a T-Rex single-rail RMC coaster (the big brother to the Raptor single-rail that's used in Railblazer at California Great America and Golden Lasso at Fiesta Texas). This type of single-rail/monorail coaster track is so serpentine and gorgeous (very befitting for this coaster's eventual land), with very thin, ribbon-like track that requires far fewer support structures than a traditional steel coaster (thus ruining less of the Jurassic island's skyline while still being eye-catching), allows for incredible maneuvers (these are very much thrill coasters, even with how smooth they are), and, as they have such thin rails, allows for cars with smaller profiles that feel very open and offer incredible views while on the ride (Railblazer's cars are themed to atvs and they look great). While the Raptor models are great (and are the only two currently running right now, though a third is expected to go to the SF Mexico park), their tracks and cars are single-rider, 8-person models, which wouldn't work well in a park as large and busy as Universal, and their overall coaster footprints are small (the coasters are shorter rides, but damn do they haul and thrill). The T-Rex model features two-passenger-across cars, doubling each train's capacity, and the track is both (slightly) wider and built to allow longer tracks, more trains (important for capacity) and more thrilling elements, as well as taller drops, while still being very thin and cost effective (which might be important to Universal, especially if they would like to work around the buildings/rides that are remaining in JP without burying the entire land in supports, but also want to retheme large portions of the island in addition to the coaster). When I see the single-rail coasters in action and how the cars twist, dive and float along their tracks, I immediately thought of the Pteranodon and Dimorphodon escape/attack scene in the Jurassic World movie--a coaster themed to dinosaurs swooping around the land, the Discovery Center and out over the lagoon would be amazing. Also, given there are no T-Rex models built anywhere in the world, Universal would have yet another unique, can't-ride-this-anywhere-else thrill ride in its profile, which seems to be right up Universal's alley :)

Wonder Woman's theme isn't really anything to write home about, but Railblazer's is quite nice, and fits what I think UC might mean by "lightly themed", should anyone want to Google it. Also, the RB cars are more unique with their ATV look, which could also work in JP if Pteranodon cars would seem too cheesy. I mean, it's still a rollercoaster, and some fans of IoA will always be unhappy with its inevitable changing of the land and skyline, but it feels and looks like the least-intrusive model that will still provide thrills and fill out the park's coaster lineup. Given how tightly these can bend, twist, and wrap around structures (I'm thinking of the DC, in particular), this style of coaster would be ideal. Not that it will ever happen (even though RMC is currently down that way building RMC Gwazi....), but a coaster fan can dream. :drool:

/end wishful thinking

Edited to include a promotional picture of Railblazer. You can google images for the actual coaster, which is (slightly, I think) less themed than this image, but still lovely. An off-ride video of the coaster's first test runs can be found here. The official on-ride POV is here. I lovelovelove the roar this coaster makes. :)
goa%20rollercoaster%20pic_1502926310030_8015403_ver1.0_1280_720.JPG

While I do love the RMC raptors, and do think a T-rex could be a great addition for the park, the problem is that they have no launched version of these models. Due to the space being used, I just don't see the park wanting to go with any lift hill, as it would take up unnecessary space and would impact sightlines more than a launched coaster would. Would absolutely love to see one at the 4th gate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.