Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I actually agree with him on the music part. I get what Disney was going for... if any Star Wars planet was actually real, it wouldn’t be playing a John Williams score. Disney has always advertised Batuu as if it were a living, breathing place.

As great as the score is, it would sort of ruin the vibe they’ve set, trying to make it seem like you’ve stepped onto another planet.

Reactions: alomar

There are several posts here and elsewhere criticizing the fact there is no music in SWGE. The reason was there is no music in Star Wars according to Disney and they are trying to keep it real like in the movies. But as I recall, no mountain ranges, like the ones in SWGE, are lit up with lights.

Reactions: Trumen882
I actually agree with him on the music part. I get what Disney was going for... if any Star Wars planet was actually real, it wouldn’t be playing a John Williams score. Disney has always advertised Batuu as if it were a living, breathing place.

As great as the score is, it would sort of ruin the vibe they’ve set, trying to make it seem like you’ve stepped onto another planet.

I don't know about "ruin." The locations represented in the Wizarding Worlds don't have John Williams score playing in-universe, and yet that music is a vital part of the atmosphere of those lands. I believe his music would have served a similar function in Galaxy's Edge.

An argument could also possibly be made that using his scores in this new, never-visited-in-the-movies land would have helped it all feel that much more STAR WARSy.

The problem is that IP lands are also very limiting. Sure, the initial build out will be great, but expansion opportunities are very limited after that since it has to be tied to the specific IP.
Universal has a lot of the IPs that I would consider land worthy....HP, SNW, ect

I'm not saying a Star Wars Land was a bad idea though

There are several posts here and elsewhere criticizing the fact there is no music in SWGE. The reason was there is no music in Star Wars according to Disney and they are trying to keep it real like in the movies. But as I recall, no mountain ranges, like the ones in SWGE, are lit up with lights.
I'm not sure why Disney just didn't have you get mugged by some bandits, or pay intergalactic taxes in the land too.

Also, there is music throughout the films, constantly, so I'm not sure what they're talking about.

Also also, none of this is directed at you personally, I'm addressing Disney's thought process.

Reactions: tacalert
Universal has a lot of the IPs that I would consider land worthy....HP, SNW, ect

I'm not saying a Star Wars Land was a bad idea though

I'm not sure why Disney just didn't have you get mugged by some bandits, or pay intergalactic taxes in the land too.

Also, there is music throughout the films, constantly, so I'm not sure what they're talking about.

Also also, none of this is directed at you personally, I'm addressing Disney's thought process.
There’s a very minimal amount of IPs that can support full lands though was my point.

Its finite in how long IP-only lands can continue. Generic-themed areas set to a time and or place work really well for plugging in attractions themed to a certain aesthetic or location (see: USF, MK, TDS, etc)

There’s a very minimal amount of IPs that can support full lands though was my point.

Its finite in how long IP-only lands can continue. Generic-themed areas set to a time and or place work really well for plugging in attractions themed to a certain aesthetic or location (see: USF, MK, TDS, etc)
I agree with you completely, not everything needs to be a fleshed out land.

I'm not saying ditch immersive lands and theming, but I do not think the Potter formula could be copied and pasted to every IP.

Star Wars, seems like a big story on the outside, but it's a very small story and pretty narrow.

Also, for me, there is a 'been there done that' feeling to the whole project. We've flown on Star Tours for years, we've had Star Wars characters around the parks and overlayed attractions.

The land seems a bit.....late....for lack of a better term

Star Wars, seems like a big story on the outside, but it's a very small story and pretty narrow.

As you're known to say, "dafuq?"

Also, for me, there is a 'been there done that' feeling to the whole project. We've flown on Star Tours for years, we've had Star Wars characters around the parks and overlayed attractions.

Yea, but aside from a few character interactions, the Jedi Training Academy and Hyperspace Mountain, we've never been immersed into a land with a marketplace and life-sized Millennium Falcon among other ships. Those alone makes this land unique and appealing. Without RotR opening, we won't really get to know how this land should be appreciated until RotR opens with additional entertainment.

And to address the music in the land or lack thereof, here's my take. I think Disney was trying to create an authentic experience. I believe they wanted to create an experience in the land as if you were there while in the movie. There's a difference of in real life ambient sounds and a musical score, which is something only the audience is meant to hear. I think it's perfectly fitting for the land's entrance to play John William's music to set the mood for the rest of the land, but as I mentioned in my review of the land last week, I think it's fine that you only hear ambient noises once in the land as you wouldn't hear a musical score in real life.

I must add to the music debate. When I posted my review here I mentioned that the place felt a bit dead or sterile. Like too engineered to look like a lived in place. The art direction is amazing but something is off with the land. I think that what makes Disneyland so successful is the atmosphere and GE is lacking. I am not saying to blast off the Star Wars soundtrack through the PA, but it seems that the land lacks performers. Everyone who has travelled to other countries can tell you that music plays a big part on knowing the country. If you traveled to a place like Batuu, you would expect street performers playing some music, to make the place come alive. That happens in real live. I think that street performers playing ethnic Star Wars-esque music from time to time would be good, it would add to the atmosphere. Maybe struggling musicians from Batuu with a hat in the floor or the instruments cases open with credits inside. There is something off with the land but I think performers would help

I'd say walking around Batu and checking out all the ships, visiting all the unique shops/restaurants, and having a drink at the cantina (with reservations) all will keep people in the land. You are selling the overall land a BIT short, don't you think?

Saying that GE should have been "an iconic location" is spilled milk at this point, and getting REALLY redundant. There is plenty to see and do in Batu.
I would like to point out that once you visited GE and you do the premium experiences, there really is nothing else to do. Let's say you can afford building the lightsaber and a droid. You stroll through the stores and you got in the cantina. What is there to do when you come back? Build another lightsaber? build another droid? go to the shops and see the same merchandise again to buy?

Perplexing is all I can say.

I really don't know what's going on. Everyone expected some sort of craziness... and it's not even a little crazy.
I have a couple of theories. I just read that USH is also kind of slow and we are in the middle of the summer. I just read that today so this is a new theory. Maybe the economy is entering into a recession and no one has money to spend on theme parks. Come September and maybe we will see another recession.
The others I have is that Disney overplayed its hand and thought everyone would come to visit the new land and that they could charge $150 dlls all summer to get in, that they could sell merch and ridiculously high price and people wouldn't mind. And then the awakening came that there really is a cap for what the market is willing to spend at Disneyland.
The other one I have is that Disney truly killed Star Wars and fans turned their backs on Disney. There is no longer good faith and the land was doomed from the get go.
The other one is that people read reviews and found out what the land had to offer and they couldn't be bothered. I do think the land has a design problem and that it's underwhelming. It's funny but the land to me reeks desperation on trying to match what Universal did for Harry Potter. But I think maybe people think "is that it?" with what the land offers. It's Disneyland biggest expansion ever and it has only 2 rides and a cantina. Never mind the endless shops. Just a glorified shopping mall.
The other one is that people are holding for when the other ride opens.
All in all, the situation is very odd and no one expected this result, specially Disney. I think we can start talking of a post mortem now

Rumor on the street is DLR isn’t profitable for the first time since 2003 after the past month.
Are you serious? They are not making profits? Where is this rumor coming from?

Has anyone considered the fact that all of their restrictions and pricing has finally reached the breaking point?
I have several theories but the one I am leaning on is that yes, the crazy prices finally reached a breaking point. There is a price people people are not willing to pay to go into Disney. I am an AP and I can say that the prices ballooned so much that I believe people called Disney's bluff. I only hope this means lowering prices. I think that Disney's quarterly reports are going to be interesting.

Except the entry tunnels. There’s the Galaxy’s Edge theme playing on your way in and out. But that’s probably not enough.

At least Pandora has music in the Pongu courtyard.

Does anyone know if Galaxy’s Edge at least has music in the shops and quick service? I love the soundtrack songs from Windtraders and Satuli.
No. One of my complaints is that there is no atmosphere in the land. The only restaurant that has music is the cantina. The shops and everything else lacks music. It really feels odd, like something is broken

I went to California for the very first time last week (LA and surrounding areas). I live in Connecticut. I planned a “LA” vacation not a Disneyland vacation, so Disneyland just kinda fell into my lap, as well as me going to Galaxy’s Edge the first day reservations weren’t required. I would never do this for Disney World. I would plan for a Disney World vacation, not an “Orlando” vacation. And I think that’s the reason crowds aren’t as big. Disney World is a destination for people around the entire world, while Disneyland is a nice weekend vacation for those in California, at least that what it seemed like to me when I went, as well as some Asian tourists. I think we need to hold our judgements for how successful the land is when it opens in Hollywood Studios. How does the opening of Galaxy's Edge compared to Cars Land????
-
Also, I just wanna say how disappointed I am in Disney for running out of Kyber Crystals the day before the land opened to the public. Should have planned for that
Cars Land is still a runaway success. Radiator Springs Racers always posts wait times of 2 hours even years after it opened. The ride is very popular. Fastpasses run out first thing in the morning.
I believe WDW will be fine with its opening of GE. I mean, Toy Story Land is packed even though it was half baked and only has one ride (the saucers are an after thought really and are barely a ride)

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that IP lands are also very limiting. Sure, the initial build out will be great, but expansion opportunities are very limited after that since it has to be tied to the specific IP.

Disney owns a few IPs that can hold a land, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel but the new clever play is to cluster lands together which Universal seem to be doing with FWs and Disney did with Pixar Pier (although Toy Story can hold a land easily) It's like everything has gone full circle and heading back to the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom basic themed areas.

Thinking about the big IPs that can hold a land, you need a franchise that has spawned several films.

Disney owns a few IPs that can hold a land, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel but the new clever play is to cluster lands together which Universal seem to be doing with FWs and Disney did with Pixar Pier (although Toy Story can hold a land easily) It's like everything has gone full circle and heading back to the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom basic themed areas.

Thinking about the big IPs that can hold a land, you need a franchise that has spawned several films.
Packaging lands together goes back to Disneyland :lol:

It’s not new. I know you did end up mentioning that, but you seemed to be contradicting yourself by saying it’s both new and something that goes back to DL/MK.

Reactions: shiekra38
As you're known to say, "dafuq?"

Yea, but aside from a few character interactions, the Jedi Training Academy and Hyperspace Mountain, we've never been immersed into a land with a marketplace and life-sized Millennium Falcon among other ships. Those alone makes this land unique and appealing. Without RotR opening, we won't really get to know how this land should be appreciated until RotR opens with additional entertainment.

And to address the music in the land or lack thereof, here's my take. I think Disney was trying to create an authentic experience. I believe they wanted to create an experience in the land as if you were there while in the movie. There's a difference of in real life ambient sounds and a musical score, which is something only the audience is meant to hear. I think it's perfectly fitting for the land's entrance to play John William's music to set the mood for the rest of the land, but as I mentioned in my review of the land last week, I think it's fine that you only hear ambient noises once in the land as you wouldn't hear a musical score in real life.
Music queues emotion and tells you how to feel. Imagine if it was gone from Port-of-Entry for instance.

They may be trying to create authenticity, but they may be unintentionally creating akwardness

I never understood people buying the banshees or the people buying the weird monkey things at Galaxy’s edge. They’re a gimmick to wear for the day and then never use them again
To be fair most theme park souvenirs are gimmicks.
Music queues emotion and tells you how to feel. Imagine if it was gone from Port-of-Entry for instance.

They may be trying to create authenticity, but they may be unintentionally creating akwardness

There is music in the land. It is just strategically placed. The cantina has music. what you would expect from a real place. DJ rex is playing a set like a radio station in the bathrooms. I get maybe street musicians can add to the real experience but I like the ambient sounds and it adds to the experience. Blasting John williams breaks the 4th wall.

100%. This is also an issue with Avatar, with the land feeling dead and lifeless due to the lack of real soundtracks. WDI is aiming for "realism", but no one goes to a theme park for "realism".

Blasting John williams breaks the 4th wall.

There is no 4th wall.

USF opened their New York backlot with no music per the insistence it’s a backlot. Within a month or so they added background music because it didn’t make sense or feel right.

Batuu isn’t real, there’s no “realism” argument. Disney has spend decades working on music in lands because it works. To throw it out is ignoring basic principles of theme parks and is simply put bad design.

100%. This is also an issue with Avatar, with the land feeling dead and lifeless due to the lack of real soundtracks. WDI is aiming for "realism", but no one goes to a theme park for "realism".

There is no 4th wall.

Africa and Asia in DAK, ACTUAL PLACES, have non-diegetic music. Pandora and Batuu, fake places that can sell the places as being more real, do not. For Pandora it suffers.

Also, I don't think anybody would be in favor of Disney just blasting the STAR WARS "Main Title" piece everywhere in the land. There are literally almost 20 hours of score that Williams has recorded for the movies, and within that there are plenty of less in-your-face cues that could be chosen for placement in the land.

Just as an example, imagine this as part of a loop in the marketplace area...

USF opened their New York backlot with no music per the insistence it’s a backlot. Within a month or so they added background music because it didn’t make sense or feel right.

Batuu isn’t real, there’s no “realism” argument. Disney has spend decades working on music in lands because it works. To throw it out is ignoring basic principles of theme parks and is simply put bad design.

Africa and Asia in DAK, ACTUAL PLACES, have non-diegetic music. Pandora and Batuu, fake places that can sell the places as being more real, do not. For Pandora it suffers.
I do think that there is some merit to having moments and areas with no non-diegetic sounds, but the balance is all wrong in Pandora, and it appears to be repeated in GE.

At the very least, they should be adding music to the outdoor marketplace. Real-life shopping centers pump music through hidden speakers; who’s to say Dok Ondar or the guy running Docking Bay 7 couldn’t have a sweet setup?

Also, I don't think anybody would be in favor of Disney just blasting the STAR WARS "Main Title" piece everywhere in the land. There are literally almost 20 hours of score that Williams has recorded for the movies, and within that there are plenty of less in-your-face cues that could be chosen for placement in the land.

Just as an example, imagine this as part of a loop in the marketplace area...
Freaking magical. Imagine this paired with the sounds of ships revving and different shops' ambient sounds playing.

I think Universal has the right ideas here. It's not about immersing you into the reality of the world, but immersing you into the fantasy of the world. They are more concerned with capturing the feeling of the film or IP that the land/attraction is based on.

Last edited: