Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Ghostbusters

I think this house has the potential to be one of the best from a pure design standpoint. There’s a lot to work with and I am excited to see what the team delivers. That said, the tone is going to be tricky and I have some doubts that they can make it work. Ghostbusters is not a scary movie. It doesn't even attempt to be a scary movie. All of the potentially scary moments are deliberately played for comedy and basically end with punchlines, like the library ghost scene, for example.

So how does the team address that? Keep the tone light and goofy, in keeping with the film? Well, that kind of makes for an uneven overall experience when the rest of the event is decidedly the opposite of light and goofy; it already sounds jarring and uneven. Or do they modulate the mood of the IP to match HHN's style and make Ghostbusters a more visceral and scary experience? Well, that sort of contradicts what makes Ghostbusters great in the first place. I like that it's light and goofy; making it scary and visceral will negate what makes it so good.

So it's a tough thing to visualize overall, which is why the general public is bristling. But we'll see how it goes. It's not like they won't be in a somewhat similar situation with Creepshow and Killer Klownz, after all. I will keep an open mind while admitting that this is near the bottom of my most anticipated list.

The funny thing is if Murdy plays all the fan favorites all at once (IP's that the rights aren't a hassle to obtain), then we'll run out of viable properties to bring to the event, resulting in mostly repeats and original concept mazes. People are always going to complain unfortunately.

The funny thing is if Murdy plays all the fan favorites all at once (IP's that the rights aren't a hassle to obtain), then we'll run out of viable properties to bring to the event, resulting in mostly repeats and original concept mazes. People are always going to complain unfortunately.

Thing is, movies are still being made. It's not like we can only use stuff from the 80s. Plus, with Creepshow probably coming and WB probably opening up, and with the new committment towards originals this year, we shouldn't have to worry about the IP stable for much longer.

Million dollar question: Will the facade be the firehouse? If not, what a waste.
If I had to guess, it'll begin with the firehouse as all the ghosts are being released, since HHN mazes tend to like to start when poop is hitting the fan, and then I think they'll mess around with continuity a bit to do the scenes that take place before that.

If I had to guess, it'll begin with the firehouse as all the ghosts are being released, since HHN mazes tend to like to start when poop is hitting the fan, and then I think they'll mess around with continuity a bit to do the scenes that take place before that.
Million dollar question: Will the facade be the firehouse? If not, what a waste.

My gut feeling is Indoor facade, much like the Hawkins lab from last year, with the Hotel, Library, apartment, etc. all happening before it. The scene where the ghosts are escaping could be a highly vertical scene, and there can be a Walter Peck actor on the side, then a few city street scenes and the showdown at the skyscraper.

He left a vague answer to the facade. (might be the station)

Horror Nights on Twitter
Team will make a appearance

Ghosts from other movies will makes cameos

Ghostbusters will not use heavy projections

Slimer will have a physical appearence

Library scare will be a illusion effect
Horror Nights on Twitter
This will be the password maze, and Louis Tully wil be the asker
Horror Nights on Twitter
Facade will be pretty tall
Horror Nights on Twitter
It will be puppet and scareactor focused, and the theme will play
Horror Nights on Twitter
Horror Nights on Twitter
Murdy's favorite scene is the library ghost, terror dogs, and something new
Horror Nights on Twitter
Ghosts aren't puppets, but other things are.
Horror Nights on Twitter
Effects heavy maze
Horror Nights on Twitter

Last edited: