Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Your issues with the lands design or lack of life is not the reason Disneyland is suddenly less busy. And you know it.

You have your preferences, sure. You may have made different choices in the design, you may not have cut things, but not of that matters; trips are planned in advance, and the land debuting with some deciding it has no life or didn't have the right choices made did not filter down that quickly to the park going public who all declared to abandon Disneyland and not go on their planned trips.

The tourists will go to DHS as they always would, the locals will wait to be unblocked or tickets aren't at peak price.

The end.
The thing I have been reading from families in the general public is that little kids have almost nothing to do in GE. I don't have kids but I do see their point. Maybe people were on the fence on whether or not plan a vacation and once vids and reviews started coming in they just said thanks but no thanks. I went to GE with 2 typical theme park goers, one that doesn't know a thing about Star Wars. Both were underwhelmed. The non Star Wars fan is your typical person not involved in forums or whatever. Just someone that goes to theme parks. She literally said "was this it?". So I must say it's not just fan opinions
And no, I don't "know it" by the way. At the moment no one is really sure why people aren't showing up. I have said for a long time that this might be the perfect storm of unfortunate events. I did not say that the main and only problem for the lack of crowds is a bad design of the land. I am on the record with different possible explanations. I have said that IMO the land might have a design problem. One theory I have is that the economy might be entering a recession, since apparently all parks in Orlando and California are experiencing low crowds. I posted the article somewhere here. So one possible reason why people aren't showing up in droves is that they simply have no discretionary money to spend at the moment. So maybe Disneyland had bad timing opening the land this summer (not that anyone can plan that really). Another one is that Disneyland finally found out that the market won't pay any price they charge. We will know when the dust settles.

Disney killed Star Wars with a mediocre movie, versus Lucas killing Star Wars with three below average prequels. Mmm.

Not only that, but isn’t ROTJ also considered mediocre to some fans? Ahhh, Star Wars fandom. Lovely.
It's no news that TLJ was very divisive among fans. One thing is dwindling in quality like the prequels were, and a different one pissing a lot of people off. Proof of how people are staying away of Star Wars was the big flop Solo was. This December we will find out if the "Disney Killed Star Wars" is true.

One thing is for sure, empty Disneyland is really weird.

Wow. You're right about that. I was surprised how strongly negative the responses have been on Magic. In retrospect, the posters on IU have been much more fair and even handed in their views on the quality of the land itself, regardless of the reasons being bandied about for the attendance issues.
Really? like what have you read? is it really that bad?

Last edited:
Wow. You're right about that. I was surprised how strongly negative the responses have been on Magic. In retrospect, the posters on IU have been much more fair and even handed in their views on the quality of the land itself, regardless of the reasons being bandied about for the attendance issues.
It’s really a couple of posters posting over and over again saying how Disney missed the mark with the land. They are really trying to push the narrative the land is a failure because of hate for the ST and lack of OT characters.

The thing I have been reading from families in the general public is that little kids have almost nothing to do in GE. I don't have kids but I do see their point. Maybe people were on the fence on whether or not plan a vacation and once vids and reviews started coming in they just said thanks but no thanks. I went to GE with 2 typical theme park goers, one that doesn't know a thing about Star Wars. Both were underwhelmed. The non Star Wars fan is your typical person not involved in forums or whatever. Just someone that goes to theme parks. She literally said "was this it?". So I must say it's not just fan opinions
And no, I don't "know it" by the way. At the moment no one is really sure why people aren't showing up. I have said for a long time that this might be the perfect storm of unfortunate events. I did not say that the main and only problem for the lack of crowds is a bad design of the land. I am on the record with different possible explanations. I have said that IMO the land might have a design problem. One theory I have is that the economy might be entering a recession, since apparently all parks in Orlando and California are experiencing low crowds. I posted the article somewhere here. So one possible reason why people aren't showing up in droves is that they simply have no discretionary money to spend at the moment. So maybe Disneyland had bad timing opening the land this summer (not that anyone can plan that really). Another one is that Disneyland finally found out that the market won't pay any price they charge. We will know when the dust settles.

It's no news that TLJ was very divisive among fans. One thing is dwindling in quality like the prequels were, and a different one pissing a lot of people off. Proof of how people are staying away of Star Wars was the big flop Solo was. This December we will find out if the "Disney Killed Star Wars" is true.

One thing is for sure, empty Disneyland is really weird.

Really? like what have you read? is it really that bad?
Myself, I don't think the land is bad. I'm looking forward to it when I visit in November. It's probably decent, though it seems like it needs a little more liveliness. BUT, the posters on Magic are a bit tough. There's probably about a half dozen threads with some really mean spirited postings from a good number of posters. You have to search pretty hard for some of the threads though, Magic is a hard site to navigate and find forum threads unless they've had a posting within a couple of hours. Magic does have a rep for some pretty disgruntled Disney posters though, even though they're predominently, by far, a Disney oriented site......I've been reading comments on a number of Disney oriented forums. It seems the comment I hear most often is that , they 'liked' the land, but didn't 'love' it. That's really not a negative, just that it doesn't seem to have surpassed expectations. RotR will probably help the opinions, once it opens.

Last edited:
Well evidently a lot of people feel like those characters are iconic enough to span generations.

Well...yeah.

Oh the iconic location talk is so tired.

What difference does it make at this point?

Also..I’d be willing to wager it would make little to no difference if this was based on the OG trilogy...if you remember we already had a ride based on the OG trilogy.

The real issue is they over anticipated the demand for a Star Wars land in Disney land without its local core audience, and opening it without the “star” attraction didn’t help things either.

If the land “fails” in Disney Hollywood studios then ill eat my words, but I have no concerns the reason Disney land is less crowded as expected has anything to do with the location chosen.

The millennium falcon alone should be bringing in the nostalgia hounds.

The rest of the land is themed very similar to other iconic locations in the trilogy. Batuu is NOT the problem.

I’d be more agreeable to “Star Wars fatigue” causing issues over their lack of Mos Eisley spaceport.

Thinking more about the location, I don't think it really matters. Star Wars has never really had an overly iconic location that would work in a theme park setting and the story moved from location to location so often that you never really got attached to one area. I think the often changing scenery really shows the genius of Star Tours.

Well...yeah.

Thinking more about the location, I don't think it really matters. Star Wars has never really had an overly iconic location that would work in a theme park setting and the story moved from location to location so often that you never really got attached to one area. I think the often changing scenery really shows the genius of Star Tours.

Agree about the location, I think its the same issue with the MCU, no special locations that would make a great land (apart from Xandar & Ego from Guardians)

MCU takes place in modern day, so having a themed land around that wouldn't make a ton of sense. Star Wars has several unique locations that could have been used, but weren't. I never once said the land looked bad, because it doesn't. I was just wondering how much of a factor that plays into all this and the low attendance.

What if Disney didn't build GE but...the Frozen land that goes to Hong Kong. Would it be as quiet?
I have a deep hate for Frozen but this fits Disney better than current Star Wars. If the had gone with the original trilogy it would have been a better fit. Those movies where a fairy-tail in itself with the reluctant hero, the scoundrel and the princess fighting the bad guy.
hongkong-disneyland-frozen-castle-first-render.jpg

Really? What have you read?
I don't know what it is. Depends on the topic this forum can get a bit aggressive too. I just like having a fair take on things. Recognize things that went well (if there are any. Some cases you just have a dud) and some critiques. I am a fan of some things but I am neither on the "needs to be the way I see it
Myself, I don't think the land is bad. I'm looking forward to it when I visit in November. It's probably decent, though it seems like it needs a little more liveliness. BUT, the posters on Magic are a bit tough. There's probably about a half dozen threads with some really mean spirited postings from a good number of posters. You have to search pretty hard for some of the threads though, Magic is a hard site to navigate and find forum threads unless they've had a posting within a couple of hours. Magic does have a rep for some pretty disgruntled Disney posters though, even though they're predominently, by far, a Disney oriented site......I've been reading comments on a number of Disney oriented forums. It seems the comment I hear most often is that , they 'liked' the land, but didn't 'love' it. That's really not a negative, just that it doesn't seem to have surpassed expectations. RotR will probably help the opinions, once it opens.
We'll see... if it ever opens lol (I know it's suppose to open in January but at the rate things are going...). Yeah I am in the camp of sort of liking it but not loving it. To me the "let me grab all your dollars" is very palpable in GE

Umm that's really your opinion on that argument. Frozen is definitely more fitting over what we got with GE imo. Concept art is beautiful.

I'm happier they did SW than Frozen. My happiness is not based on whats more fitting.

I'm happier they did SW than Frozen. My happiness is not based on whats more fitting.
Well fitting is a lot of people's gripe about GE at this juncture. You would not have this problem with frozen is all I'm saying. **Unless, they tried to make you create your own frozen adventure without Elsa or ana anywhere or something like that that they love doing.

Last edited:
Umm that's really your opinion on that argument. Frozen is definitely more fitting over what we got with GE imo. Nothing about starwars screams Disney , everything about frozen screams Disney. Concept art is beautiful.

Newsflash: Star Wars = Disney now.
Also...I realize this is my opinion. We already have a frozen ride in Epcot.

Newsflash: Star Wars = Disney now.
Also...I realize this is my opinion. We already have a frozen ride in Epcot.
Ok Duh.. But You can't effectively label people reaching because they might have preferred a full out frozen land over what Disney came up with for sw. "If the frozen ride didn't exist".

Yo, people had a hate boner for the prequels too. Like, a ridiculous hate mongering that rivals dumb fans hating TLJ. Don’t try to downplay it, fam. Solo, being a movie that has absolutely nothing to do with the main trilogy, failing because of TLJ... has likely more to do with it being a bad film with bad marketing and bad drama that hit every headline about it.

Yo, people had a hate boner for the prequels too. Like, a ridiculous hate mongering that rivals dumb fans hating TLJ. Don’t try to downplay it, fam. Solo, being a movie that has absolutely nothing to do with the main trilogy, failing because of TLJ... has likely more to do with it being a bad film with bad marketing and bad drama that hit every headline about it.
It was a good movie, but no one wanted a Harrison Ford-less Solo movie is what it really came down to. That and terrible marketing and unfortunate timing coming off the extremely polarizing TLJ made for a very rough hand.

It was a good movie, but no one wanted a Harrison Ford-less Solo movie is what it really came down to. That and terrible marketing and unfortunate timing coming off the extremely polarizing TLJ made for a very rough hand.

I was one of the folks beforehand who thought "do we need this?" when the announcement was made. After watching it a few times, I totally dig the movie. I thought Alden Ehrenreich was awesome as Han, and I could have watched a whole movie with him and Qi'ra in the Correllia underworld.

I do think the biggest thing that hurt this film was the timing and the marketing like the above posters said. It came out right on the heels of a giant fan divide, the marketing wasn't great and for the general audiences it was another Star Wars film coming out right after the last one did. I think allowing some time to breathe and releasing it in December would have been better overall.