Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

Isn’t this whole concept basically what the Cars show is or would it be actual rides?

Full on programmable trackless dark ride that can easily change IP's in a few hours worth of time. Entirely screen-based too.

Think a ride version of what the USJ 4D Cinema and DreamWorks Theater is, but with actual movement through area's (even if it's projection based).

Full on programmable trackless dark ride that can easily change IP's in a few hours worth of time. Entirely screen-based too.

Clearly Disney isn't learning from the troubles with the other trackless dark ride they are currently building.

I just don't buy them being able to change this as easily as they describe, especially based on the fact they took 6 months to build a carousel.

For what it's worth, WDWNT is hearing that the black box attraction is going forward at both DCA and DHS, for 2022.

“Black Box” Interchangeable "Flex Ride" in Development for 2022 Opening at Disney California Adventure, Disney's Hollywood Studios - WDW News Today
One thing I never understood is why Universal and Disney haven't taken advantage of the Star Tours formula where every ride is a different set of experiences

With the advent of projection mapping and light set work, I could see this being a positive thing...Almost like a drive through movie preview

I don't see it being an E-ticket though

When I read the description of the thing, I imagine it's the result of the following directive from Chapek:

"Design a 'dark' ride that can be implemented with the smallest amount of effort possible."

It's like they want to see how little they can get away with. How would this concept not be entirely overshadowed by the dressed-up, E-ticket version only a few yards away with Runaway Railway?

Last edited:
I can only hope that Universal keeps going full steam the opposite direction of Black Box.
I mean, theoretically it's a cool thing to implement into the park, especially if it means that IPs that otherwise wouldn't get a ride get a chance to have some semblance of an attraction experience. I can see this being the evolution of Disney's promotional trailers that they show. Instead of just watching 15 minutes of a new film, step into it and experience it.

That is if this is something that actually happens.

When I read the description of the thing, I imagine it's the result of the following directive from Chapek:

"Design a 'dark' ride that can be implemented with the smallest amount of effort possible."

It's like they want to see how little they can get away with. How would this concept not be entirely overshadowed by the dressed-up, E-ticket version only a few yards away with Runaway Railway?
Why are your posts always so jaded ?

Why are your posts always so jaded ?

I assure you it is not meant to intentionally annoy anybody!

I can only give an honest account of how I feel about a given situation. I do my best to be as fair as I can, and there are plenty of projects discussed on these boards that I have (and have had) positive things to say about.

I mean, theoretically it's a cool thing to implement into the park, especially if it means that IPs that otherwise wouldn't get a ride get a chance to have some semblance of an attraction experience. I can see this being the evolution of Disney's promotional trailers that they show. Instead of just watching 15 minutes of a new film, step into it and experience it.

Perhaps we'll see the Play Pavilion test this out

Exactly what I was thinking. Some of the properties we could have had attractions for had the flex space been in use in the past 10 years:

Wreck It Ralph
Big Hero 6
Tron Legacy
Cars
Alice in Wonderland (Live Action)
Pirates of the Caribbean (Film Franchise)