Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 562 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With how the park is having it's hotel apart of the park..part of me is actually starting to wonder, if it will be connected with Fantastic Beasts (albeit, not in the way you'd expect). But as opposed to it being strictly as a Potter themed hotel..perhaps it could be themed after the respected city that is featured for the land? That way; they could play it as a 1920's Art-deco/industrial hotel, immaculately themed, and not having to incorporate any of the Wizarding World branding for the Hotel.

It's a thought, but it could make a lot of sense given the nature of the IP.

With how the park is having it's hotel apart of the park..part of me is actually starting to wonder, if it will be connected with Fantastic Beasts (albeit, not in the way you'd expect). But as opposed to it being strictly as a Potter themed hotel..perhaps it could be themed after the respected city that is featured for the land? That way; they could play it as a 1920's Art-deco/industrial hotel, immaculately themed, and not having to incorporate any of the Wizarding World branding for the Hotel.

It's a thought, but it could make a lot of sense given the nature of the IP.

I don't think they would want to theme a hotel in the Hub to an IP...because the Hub is supposed to transport you to other worlds not be part of a world.

I don't think they would want to theme a hotel in the Hub to an IP...because the Hub is supposed to transport you to other worlds not be part of a world.
I agree that the hotel will likely share the same theme as the hub.

But it's not absolutely necessary to do it this way. The hotel could easily be a part of one of the worlds the hub transports you to.

Though the major complication would be that there would be a bit of an imbalanced, having only one of the worlds with a hotel. This model would work better if each one had a hotel.

Reactions: quinnmac000
I just made this argument on twitter and I’m going to say it here as well.

I seriously don’t get, if you are already invested into diving into a “classic niche” with monsters..... why you don’t pull out the big guns and reintroduce your three most timeless IP’s with a ride system that will serve just as timeless.

create classic universe or whatever you want it to be within this park. Still dedicate a show and perhaps a ride to the monsters but also go back in on BTTF, Jaws and Jurassic. I proposed a BTTF coaster, Jaws boat ride, and the Jurassic ride we never got... a dark ride Jeep tour with the iconic coloring and logos. This is a bluesky thread after all, right? Monsters gets their fill however you want to do it, and you also just did right by your most beloved and synonymous IP’s for potentially the next 25+ years. And oh ya, it all fits the bill of “classic” so the land makes sense. This land immediately becomes one of the most buzzed about lands and that includes a park that also has NINTENDO. this seems like a win win everywhere

I’ve said this before and I’m sure it annoys a few of you, but other than Nintendo I don’t think any of the other current rumored worlds are from very popular IPs. Fantastic Beasts is no Potter, dreamworks franchises are no Pixar, and classic monsters are not Stranger Things, or A Jordan Peele or Remade Stephen King type horror that is popular now.

I actually agree that a classic/nostalgia land with Back to the future/jaws; and maybe some other 80s property sounds much more exciting to me then classic monsters.

Of course if the rides are great, then it won’t make much difference. It’s also possible I’m just showing my age, because I have no attachment to any of this stuff...except maybe classic monsters which I feel is probably the least popular idea for a land on here.

Reactions: Andysol
I’ve said this before and I’m sure it annoys a few of you, but other than Nintendo I don’t think any of the other current rumored worlds are from very popular IPs. Fantastic Beasts is no Potter, dreamworks franchises are no Pixar, and classic monsters are not Stranger Things, or A Jordan Peele or Remade Stephen King type horror that is popular now.

I actually agree that a classic/nostalgia land with Back to the future/jaws; and maybe some other 80s property sounds much more exciting to me then classic monsters.

Of course if the rides are great, then it won’t make much difference. It’s also possible I’m just showing my age, because I have no attachment to any of this stuff...except maybe classic monsters which I feel is probably the least popular idea for a land on here.
You’re not entirely wrong here. These are successful franchises/brands but they aren’t juggernauts like a lot of theme parks are. My guess would be SNW and Pokémon being the staples here. Ultimately though it seems as if they’re going to take each land with Diagon Alley level theming so I think we’re in for a good park

Classic Monsters is a much better idea then building a world around the current fad. Monsters are timeless and a big part of universal. You can build a very well themed land based on them. I love Stranger Things but it’s what is popular now. It’s not something you build a whole land on since it will be forgotten five years from now. Also what are you building? A large run down Hawkins? Same thing with Peele. What’s the land?

Dreamworks IPs are still very popular. They might not be Toy Story but they will still draw plenty. They also provide great themed land options. If they build a HTTYD world it will be very popular.

Building a park on what’s popular now is a bad idea. Because 5 years from now you’re going back and replacing everything.

All of the theme parks, new and old, have a bunch of IPs which are not exciting, and a few which are. This problem only becomes more highlighted as the parks expand.
I do agree that a Universal Nostalgia ride would be awesome. Make it a greatest hits ride. USH kind of already has this with the tram tour, so it's actually something that's missing from UOR, other than their night show.

The Universal Nostalgia ride could go in an overall 80s/90s themed area with other attractions based in this time period. But I don't think the entire land should be "remember these rides we closed? They're back!"

Classic Monsters is a much better idea then building a world around the current fad. Monsters are timeless and a big part of universal. You can build a very well themed land based on them. I love Stranger Things but it’s what is popular now. It’s not something you build a whole land on since it will be forgotten five years from now. Also what are you building? A large run down Hawkins? Same thing with Peele. What’s the land?

Dreamworks IPs are still very popular. They might not be Toy Story but they will still draw plenty. They also provide great themed land options. If they build a HTTYD world it will be very popular.

Building a park on what’s popular now is a bad idea. Because 5 years from now you’re going back and replacing everything.

I agree with you mostly, I don’t think a stranger things land would work and may not last the test of time. However I feel the same thing about the dreamworks franchises. There is a reason everyone can’t wait to get rid of Shrek. The Dragon series is mildly popular, but it’s also a franchise that will likely be irrelevant in 10 years...maybe even soon. Same with fantastic beasts.

People were knocking LOTR, but I’d argue that’s much more of a timeless franchise then any other concept rumored (other than Nintendo)

Reactions: truejonas
I agree with you mostly, I don’t think a stranger things land would work and may not last the test of time. However I feel the same thing about the dreamworks franchises. There is a reason everyone can’t wait to get rid of Shrek. The Dragon series is mildly popular, but it’s also a franchise that will likely be irrelevant in 10 years...maybe even soon. Same with fantastic beasts.

People were knocking LOTR, but I’d argue that’s much more of a timeless franchise then any other concept rumored (other than Nintendo)

Don't discount Dreamworks....their shows are the most watched kid shows on Netflix and Amazon which was part of the reason Hulu also wanted that exclusive deal.

And as for Dragons, that series isn't over as Netflix greenlit a preschool show on it
DreamWorks Dragons Rescue Riders (2019) is a CG animated comedy adventure series that opens a brand new chapter in DreamWorks Animation’s Academy Award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning How to Train Your Dragon franchise. The all-new series is about twins, Dak and Leyla, who because they were raised by dragons, share a unique ability to communicate with them. The brother and sister lead a team of five young dragons that spend their days rescuing other dragons, and helping the people in their adopted town of Huttsgalor.

Executive Producers: Emmy Award winner Jack Thomas (Dragons: Race to the Edge, The Fairly OddParents) as executive producer and Brian K. Roberts (VeggieTales in the House) as co-executive producing
Netflix Boosts Preschool Slate With Seven New Series For 2019-2020 – Deadline

Amazon rebooted KFP with an animated show that still going on

Trolls is a juggernaut with a live arena show, their netflix series, all the specials, the sequel movie, the toys still being a top merch, and their event space in NYC that was only suppose to be for three months but due to massive popularity has gone on for 9 months.

Boss Baby despite what people on this forum think had one of the biggest kid TV show launches for the first season and the second second on netflix and got greenlit for a film sequel.

People want to get rid of Shrek because it’s a bad attraction. Not because they hate Shrek. Dragons while may fall off will provide a fantastic themed area and great attraction ideas. That’s what matters here. Fantastic Beasts I am not all for but it is what it is.

People want to "get rid" of Shrek because it's a bad ride you can get on DVD. A lot of those same people like the idea of a Shrek's Swamp river ride.

What people are forgetting is the need for a theme park (and this park, specifically) to be more family-friendly. Tonally, I think it'll be far closer to Magic Kingdom than Islands. With that perspective, if you have two thematically similar worlds in LotR and HTTYD, you want to pick the animated IP you can plop a six-year old in front of on the trip to Orlando. That's what is going to make Berk timeless - its kid-friendliness.

Also, who cares *what* IPs the park has as long as it's quality? Look at Shanghai Disneyland. It's biggest things are a POTC land and a TRON e-ticket, both of which are based off of dead franchises. Or Tokyo DisneySea that opened with little to no IPs at all. I think we miss the forest for the trees around here more often than not. No, How To Train Your Dragon isn't Toy Story, but I will be *very* surprised if the HTTYD land doesn't beat the pants off of any Toy Story attraction across the world, and people will respond to that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Monsters Land ends up being the surprise hit of the park, much like Marvel was the surprise hit of IoA.

Same defense force, different day.

I already said if the attractions deliver it won’t make a difference. I’m arguing purely on an IP level.

Also...I wasn’t trying to compare to what Disney has done with Pirates or Tron.

This wasn’t a “Disney is better” post.

I mean you need a big IP to sell park tickets. People want to visit at least 1 land they're familiar with. Good attractions are great but people very much care about where they will be visiting.

I mean you need a big IP to sell park tickets. People want to visit at least 1 land they're familiar with. Good attractions are great but people very much care about where they will be visiting.

Nintendo world will be enough to sell tickets. Hope those rides live up to the massive pressure they will be under.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Same defense force, different day.

"Same old non-stop complaining Rhino, different day." See? It can go both ways.

I already said if the attractions deliver it won’t make a difference. I’m arguing purely on an IP level.

As was I. Notice I didn't disagree that the IPs weren't top of the line?

Also...I wasn’t trying to compare to what Disney has done with Pirates or Tron.

This wasn’t a “Disney is better” post.

Mine wasn't a "Disney is worse" post either. It was showing that the top theme park company in the world built a park with cornerstones themed around dead IPs and was super successful in doing so.

And the park has that in Nintendo, even if I think the IP reliance is often overstated. *motions towards Galaxy's Edge*

So the debate of Nintendo vs LOTR didn't even matter?

I mean, I think quality is the most important thing, but IP definitely matters as well.

The "debate" was about which one someone would think was more exciting. It had nothing to do with whether it would be a good idea. :bonk:

Status
Not open for further replies.