Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Us

A mirror effect on an actor will look bad. I mean, say the persons small and the actors tall, they have to knell down to make the effect work. Same for the opposite, the actor has to go on there toes for it to work. And say the guest is white, but the actor has black hands. There's so many flaws.
Also, there would be no guarantee that the guest's face would be at the correct angle and would fill the entire frame of the mirror. And the scareactor and the guest would have to keep their head perfectly level as well to make that work. Would probably end up looking more like the figure from the end of Meshes of the Afternoon, which granted would definitely still be plenty creepy.

Another idea could maybe be having a fake Universal employee get attacked by a tethered version of themselves?

I'm actually not convinced that we need to see tethered versions of ourselves in this maze in order for it to be successful. It isn't often that an HHN maze is designed to like, "put you in the movie." Sometimes that happens, but more often than not, the audience doesn't take on the perspective of someone in the story, we're just experiencing the stories in a more four-dimensional way.

The team just needs to focus on re-creating the atmosphere and bringing those amazing set pieces to life, not devise a way create individual doppelgängers for everyone who goes through the maze.

Last edited:
Also, there would be no guarantee that the guest's face would be at the correct angle and would fill the entire frame of the mirror. And the scareactor and the guest would have to keep their head perfectly level as well to make that work. Would probably end up looking more like the figure from the end of Meshes of the Afternoon, which granted would definitely still be plenty creepy.

Another idea could maybe be having a fake Universal employee get attacked by a tethered version of themselves?

Well now I know what Meshes of the Afternoon is, that was a fun trip.

Blackout Tethereds would be a fun idea. Maybe also the thing they do at Orlando where someone in the line gets attacked.

Wrt the mirror, it's not a perfect system, but I was thinking more in terms of "give a split second to where they see their necks sort of align with the jumpsuit" and then they jump out of the mirror and scare them as just a jump suit with a black hood for a head, instead of trying to find a way to make it the doppelganger while the actor is in motion. If the actor is holding still, people might think they're a mannequin and actually try to align their necks with the hole themselves, before they jump out at them. Again, as long as it's too fast to scrutinize and the actor is average height, people won't sweat it too much and they should be able to get a good scare in.

It's just a new twist on the "pretend you're a mannequin and freak people out" thing that HHN has been doing for a while. Since people have probably gone to Haunted Mansion at DL, most will probably think it's just a fun photo-op with the dummy to make it look like you have a doppelganger, not an actual person.

I'm actually not convinced that we need to see tethered versions of ourselves in this maze in order for it to be successful. It's isn't often that an HHN maze is designed to like, "put you in the movie." Sometimes that happens, but more often than not, the audience doesn't take on the perspective of someone in the story, we're just experiencing the stories in a more four-dimensional way.

The team just needs to focus on re-creating the atmosphere and bringing those amazing set pieces to life, not devise a way create individual doppelgängers for everyone who goes through the maze.

Yeah, but it's still fun to think about.

Last edited:
Wrt the mirror, it's not a perfect system, but I was thinking more in terms of "give a split second to where they see their necks sort of align with the jumpsuit" and then they jump out of the mirror and scare them as just a jump suit with a black hood for a head, instead of trying to find a way to make it the doppelganger while the actor is in motion. If the actor is holding still, people might think they're a mannequin and actually try to align their necks with the hole themselves, before they jump out at them. Again, as long as it's too fast to scrutinize and the actor is average height, people won't sweat it too much and they should be able to get a good scare in.
Oh, im a dumb dumb. When you said "like the Invisible Man effect", i thought you meant the actor will wander the room to scare. But the way you explained it, i'll actually like to see it.

Oh, im a dumb dumb. When you said "like the Invisible Man effect", i thought you meant the actor will wander the room to scare. But the way you explained it, i'll actually like to see it.

Oh no lol, guess I should've explained it better. Though that would be funny to see lmao.

I’d compare it more to House of Horrors’ Psycho section; which was easily the scariest part of the maze for me. If it’s anything like that it should be good

I have a feeling most of the mirror maze will be closer to Clowns 3D than anything else, since having an actual mirror maze could back up the pulsing of the maze if people walk too slow through it or run into mirrors.

I wonder why they said no pictures.
Edit -
oh that's not good.

Its probably not as bad of a sign as it seems, since the tours usually occur a while before places are allowed to post them, so hopefully everything will be ready to go by next week, especially since Us was at least done enough for them to show press.