Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Relax people, only way Disney builds something in India is with money from investors and business partners. The majority of the money will not be Disney's.

While I agree, they do still invest a sizable amount of money or they wouldn't have had to make cut backs at the US parks when Shanghi went over budget / got into trouble back in 15/16.

The ride Al talks about that got cut from SW:GE was a Bantha peoplemover-style ride. It would've been a great ride to make the land feel more alive.
If watch Imagineering in a Box series you will see testing for it.
To just..represent for those unable to find Imaginnering in a Box..

Fascinating to see Al back

There's 1.3 billion reasons to build in India.

Also it's easier to grow when starting at 0 parks in a region vs trying to grow earnings out of more mature park resorts. Parks and Resorts are cash cows that need to stay healthy.

Yep... Soon to be the most populous country in the world, as Bob mentioned on the quarterly earnings call.

Wasn't there rumors back in the early 10's of Disney having interest to build a park in India?

Personally, with the plays they are making; I wouldn't be..as shocked, to see Disney want to build a park in India. The question is, would it be after Iger's reign, or would Iger want to be an Eisner?

The cancelled Bantha ride would have done wonders for Galaxy's Edge. At this point, just adding roaming droids and more entertainment won't save the land. It will improve it, but it will still have major issues. The Bantha ride would have added a lot of kinetic energy to the land and it would have made the land feel way more alive.

the bantha ride looks interesting, but could have been just another river journey. I would have preferred a speeder bike coaster...not too unlike Hagrids or Tron...but I guess we have our fill of Bike coasters now.

I'm kind of mixed on the Bantha ride. It sounds neat and would add energy, but would also pose sightline problems and be extremely low capacity.

I’m with you. I feel like the Bantha rude was a very blue sky concept that got cut relatively early in the process for obvious reason.

I’m with you. I feel like the Bantha rude was a very blue sky concept that got cut relatively early in the process for obvious reason.

I'm not sure a full layout developed, with extensive R&D hardware, qualifies as blue sky...

Blue Sky is when you're just pitching ideas/writing treatments.

Chapek can always say that SWGE wasn’t his project. This was a Staggs approved project.
Yeah, but if what we’re being told is true, he is directly responsible for nearly every single legitimate complaint being leveled at the land.

The only thing out of his control is the delay of Rise of the Resistance, but even that wouldn’t have been as big of a deal if he hadn’t already cut an entire ride and 70% of the atmosphere entertainment from the lineup.

Disneyland may have been a misfire (for now), but this land may still do gangbusters in Orlando. Don’t count it out just yet.

If SWGE has a similar performance in Orlando by January 2020, id expect big changes at Walt Disney Co. one way or another. If DHS follows the same success as Disneyland since SWGE opened, someone will for sure take the fall for it.

Bob Chapek has not been terrible for the parks from a business perspective, which is what Disney ultimately cares about. Obviously SWGE is having problems, but that's more of the Pre-Potter 2008-2009 effect (delaying vacations for a new addition), blocking out APs and the weird reverse marketing Disney was pushing. Disneyland is already seeing their attendance going back to normal.