Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN-Based Films?

They did. It was called House of 1000 Corpses. And a lot of y’all hated it.

That is Rob Zombie's design/IP. I'm talking things that the Park teams come up with.

RZ is really good at creating interesting visuals and interesting concepts but I don't personally care for his dialogue which kills a lot of movies for me.

Also, didn't Lionsgate put that movie out?

Last edited by a moderator:
1st, please don’t double post. You can go back and edit posts.

They did, after Universal passed on it.

Okay.

So Universal passing on it means that it should never happen? Do you not see any of them working as a low budget film?

I won't say whom I spoke with, but I met one of the members of the HHN team and mentioned this opinion and they said they didn't disagree with me.

Honestly, as a concept: Jack The Clown or The Caretaker's stories might actually really lend themselves well towards the Hollywood format.

That said..would it be successful? For the GP, it's essentially something completely original that isn't a franchise. Not saying there's a risk, but it's something to be careful of. Not to mention, it'd have to really matter towards how creative decisions are made.

Okay.

So Universal passing on it means that it should never happen? Do you not see any of them working as a low budget film?

I won't say whom I spoke with, but I met one of the members of the HHN team and mentioned this opinion and they said they didn't disagree with me.

A lot of what is created for HHN draws inspiration from other creative avenues. In addition, I think Studios are all about big-budget tentpoles now. Granted, a horror film is more likely to be gambled on, usually due to low budget with possible high return, but I don't think they are itching to go that well. Let's take Jack for example, the most known of all HHN. A clown that murders children, and eventually adults.... Sound familiar?

Honestly, as a concept: Jack The Clown or The Caretaker's stories might actually really lend themselves well towards the Hollywood format.

That said..would it be successful? For the GP, it's essentially something completely original that isn't a franchise. Not saying there's a risk, but it's something to be careful of. Not to mention, it'd have to really matter towards how creative decisions are made.
Blumhouse turns original stories into hits all the time.

Posting back to back in succession.
Ahh ok. I didn’t realize that’s what double posting meant, and if this constitutes double posting then I apologize. Thanks for the info.

As far as the above I actually have to disagree. I think what makes the icons so intriguing is there is a sort of mysteriousness to their backstories. Also as popular as this event is, that doesn’t mean a movie on an icon would lead to a lot of revenue at the box office. I rather Comcast/Universal pump more money into the event and marketing, instead of a movie.

Ahh ok. I didn’t realize that’s what double posting meant, and if this constitutes double posting then I apologize. Thanks for the info.

As far as the above I actually have to disagree. I think what makes the icons so intriguing is there is a sort of mysteriousness to their backstories. Also as popular as this event is, that doesn’t mean a movie on an icon would lead to a lot of revenue at the box office. I rather Comcast/Universal pump more money into the event and marketing, instead of a movie.

Investing in a movie wouldn't take money away from the event. Instead of making some of their big-budget movies that end up having disappointing hauls at the box office they can make low budget movies ( one to start with) and see how it goes. OR remake the Classic Monsters they have been trying to reboot ever since Benicio del Toro's Wolf Man and Dracula Untold in a different style. Maybe like this?

Okay.

That's cool. Was it the one who writes graphic novels, the one who writes plays, or the one who writes short films? Point being, there's not a one of them who doesn't want their ideas to reach a broader audience. That's called being a creative.

I think you're assuming a lot that isn't really accurate, that need to be addressed.

One - Universal Pictures, as a creative entity, doesn't have "back and forth" chats with a sub-division of the Theme Parks (Entertainment). Their awareness is going to be extremely limited of Orlando's original creations. Those chats are more, "This is what Pictures is doing. Deal."

Two - The creatives associated with HHN deal in concepts. They don't write "narratives," or develop characters or explore motivations. Their houses are outlines. Any advancement of a HHN concept to film would take years, that Pictures has no incentive to invest in.

Three - HHN is extremely "small market." Specific haunts always are, despite the industry's profitability. Basically, there is not enough of an audience nationally (and more so, internationally) for HHN ideas to scream to Universal Pictures that the ideas matter. The fact that your own petition is only for 100 signatures is indicative of this. Get 500,000 and they'll pay attention.

Three - HHN is extremely "small market." Specific haunts always are, despite the industry's profitability. Basically, there is not enough of an audience nationally (and more so, internationally) for HHN ideas to scream to Universal Pictures that the ideas matter. The fact that your own petition is only for 100 signatures is indicative of this. Get 500,000 and they'll pay attention.
From a synergistic argument, a film about Jack the Clown would only circle around to be impactful for the Orlando HHN market,

which narrows its appeal even further.

End of the day, HHN is very much a celebration (original or otherwise) of cinematic horror...At the moment it is leaning towards celebrating established franchises, in the past they emulated established franchises through their icons. Really though, an HHN film would be very redundant and extremely meta haha

Re-posting my comment in the correct thread. (Sorry mods)

That rumor took longer to hit the boards than I expected.

I just don't see this actually coming to fruition...at least not how the title suggests it would happen.

I know everyone is thinking this will be "Jack the Clown in Halloween Horror Nights: The Movie!!!".

In reality, IF (yes, I bold, underlined, italicized, AND capitalized that) it happens, it will probably be a lot closer to something like Hell Fest or Haunt.

The fan base just isn't there for a full fledged HHN lore movie.

7rm6KEm.gif

Man if they did this right they could put the conjuringverse to shame! Not to mention the publicity for the event! Could honestly be huge and would love to see it