Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN-Based Films?

Re-posting my comment in the correct thread. (Sorry mods)

That rumor took longer to hit the boards than I expected.

I just don't see this actually coming to fruition...at least not how the title suggests it would happen.

I know everyone is thinking this will be "Jack the Clown in Halloween Horror Nights: The Movie!!!".

In reality, IF (yes, I bold, underlined, italicized, AND capitalized that) it happens, it will probably be a lot closer to something like Hell Fest or Haunt.

The fan base just isn't there for a full fledged HHN lore movie.

On top of that, as stated earlier in this thread, a lot of what is created for HHN draws inspiration from other creative avenues, especially Jack.

Let me be blunt here, if this means Blumhouse themselves in their writers teams are looking into the stories of what Orlando's Art and Design department have done, this could turn into something really exciting; considering how Blumhouse does films with small budgets and high turnarounds.

Could be a chance to bring new life into the characters and settings--in ways to make them stand apart from what they originally are based from.

When all is said and done movies based on original characters will just disappoint fans and no one will have any idea what it's about.

Considering Blumhouse's existing work I expect 1) it'll say something about society (consumerism, hanging onto a childhood and not growing up, etc) 2) be meta about its existence (Oijia wasn't about the backstory and origins of a board game).

When all is said and done movies based on original characters will just disappoint fans and no one will have any idea what it's about.

Considering Blumhouse's existing work I expect 1) it'll say something about society (consumerism, hanging onto a childhood and not growing up, etc) 2) be meta about its existence (Oijia wasn't about the backstory and origins of a board game).

Honestly--I think Jack could work well if they pen it as a more morbid horror-revenge story, with slight supernatural elements. It'd be somewhat in line with what they've done, and there is a basis of what they could do there with Orlando's past work with him.

That's just my tea though.

do we think this more so would delve into the lore of icons? there was already that movie set in a horror nights ish event that i think did well

do we think this more so would delve into the lore of icons? there was already that movie set in a horror nights ish event that i think did well
If I had to guess I would guess it would be a hell fest kinda thing. I would love to see original houses become films tho especially the original nightingales and graveyard games!

I think it wouldn’t directly address the icons, if it addresses the icons at all.

It’s important to remember, Blumhouse is based in Hollywood. It works closer with Hollywood, it’s staff is more likely to attend Hollywood, and it’s experience with the event is more framed by the Hollywood experience.

Add the fact that icons have not had that important of a presence, lore-wise, since before Blumhouse’s creation, there’s no reason to believe they’d leverage them.

I think it wouldn’t directly address the icons, if it addresses the icons at all.

It’s important to remember, Blumhouse is based in Hollywood. It works closer with Hollywood, it’s staff is more likely to attend Hollywood, and it’s experience with the event is more framed by the Hollywood experience.

Add the fact that icons have not had that important of a presence, lore-wise, since before Blumhouse’s creation, there’s no reason to believe they’d leverage them.

To personally spitball, and if I am very much wrong--please, feel free to correct me..but isn't Aiello somewhat on the upper end of management than Murdy?

I'd argue that if Blumhouse is serious in the notion of taking the ideas of HHN to film, that he'd be involved in some capacity. Even if it's to keep the brand of the quality under control, I doubt this would be a project where the Blumhouse teams have complete control over.

If Blumhouse decided they wanted to go with something HHN Hollywood related, theres only two ways I can really see it going. Either it's essentially a Hell Fest ripoff with a bunch of originals and scarezones we recognize, and maybe a couple Blumhouse properties, with some sinister evil force or entity controlling it all from the shadows. Or they go with something revolving around Hollywood Harry, like it being revealed that he's a real person, and he isn't happy about his life being fictionalized and covered up by Universal, so he goes after the creative team and guests for revenge. Though personally I see the former being more likely for Blumhouse, as it's a much more general idea, and would be easier to sell to a general audience.

I can't see them doing anything related to Icons. They're simply too generic and unknown to make for a well-received adaptation. The audience for a Terra Cruentes/Jack the Clown/Storyteller movie is no one. Fans would hate any changes they inevitably make it help it make more sense to the GP and the GP just wouldn't care about it in the slightest.

A Hellfest-style movie could work, but would Universal/Comcast really want to advertise their actual real-life event with a movie saying "You can die at this event! Actual murders take place here!" to the entire movie-going audience? I get it's a horror event and all, but Hellfest is a generic brand for a reason. Delta didn't have a sponsorship for Non-Stop.

If I had to take a guess, they could take ideas from Universal's original houses a la Depths of Fear, Dead Exposure, Graveyard Games, etc. It'd certainly take a lot of expanding plot and characters but I could see it happening over The Usher getting a full movie or a Hellfest ripoff.

To my understanding, this is a very early stages thing. It also would probably skew closer to "Universal does Hell Fest" than "Jack the Clown."

I can see it just being a general horror movie about some teens that go to a halloween event and it would really end up having nothing to do with HHN.
Yep.

Jason’s response is important. He’s talking about a “Halloween Horror Nights” movie, where its story is *in* HHN itself. He would reference the original stories if he was already looking at those.