Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

Has there been any word on the Punga Racers? Universal isn't going to just leave the attraction as it is with a 150lb weight limit are they? The lowering of weight limits on the drop-slides were rectified pretty quickly to something reasonable. I'm 5' 10'' with an athletic build and very little body fat and I come in at 160 pounds. I love Punga but I'm not going to sit in a sauna for 48 hours and not drink water like a damn UFC fighter in order to ride the thing.

Note: Sorry for the double post. Mods, feel free to combine this and the previous one if necessary.

So I'm thinking of buying a Wetsuit for Volcano Bay. Do they allow them in the park or water parks in general?

I am unsure of this. My best guess is that they probably wouldn't allow them on the body slides (Ohno, Ohyah, Ko'okiri, Kala & Tai Nui) just because it would create friction. Some team members even question the rash guard type shirts and even ask about the material on those (for body slides).

I feel like it would be okay on all the other rides, though. But it might get a little cumbersome to take it off and put it on constantly if you're doing all/most of the rides. Maybe consider doing all the body slides in a row, then switching to wear your wetsuit for the other activities?

Also I would try asking UO's social media - they are really good about getting back to you.

Did VB Friday night and Saturday morning.

On bus right now headed back from the DVC Typhoon Lagoon party. Free food, low crowds, free Mickey bars, etc.

And still... Volcano Bay is leaps and bounds superior. VB may not be able to compete with TL’s wave pool, but when you compare slides, it isn’t even close.
How anyone could prefer TL over VB is beyond my comprehension.

VB is the undisputed champ in Orlando.

On bus right now headed back from the DVC Typhoon Lagoon party. Free food, low crowds, free Mickey bars, etc.

And still... Volcano Bay is leaps and bounds superior. VB may not be able to compete with TL’s wave pool, but when you compare slides, it isn’t even close.

This may be a bit extreme but "TeAwa The Fearless River" alone makes it the best Orlando Waterpark for me. :grin:

As explained (in expletive-laden form) by my friend:
“Volcano Bay is a Damn-Near Perfect Waterpark, but Typhoon Lagoon is a f****** Oasis”

Only other thing I’d say TL has over VB is the lazy river is way better there. BUT VB has the fearless river which makes up for how lame the lazy one is

More lush, stairs built into the mountainside, family bodyslides most can enjoy, a long lazy river, a fantastic wavepool.

That being said, I prefer the wild river and some of the slides at Voclano Bay too. I just hate the stair towers. Really makes the park feel more like average water parks. Building other ‘volcanic/mountainous structures the slides weave in and out of would’ve put VB over the top.

I prefer... some of the slides at Voclano Bay too
I’m dying to know what slides at TL are better than the ones at VB.

Coaster? Not even a contest. You get pushed up 3 small hills and then it’s over. What is Krakatau? 10?
Miss Adventure is great for a family ride. A much needed addition.
Outside of that, the body slides at TL are tolerable.

However, the rest of the slides at TL; meaning the ones with the individual or family tubes, are absolute trash. They’re well themed, but that’s where the enjoyment ends. Until you ride them after VB (or BB or Aquatica or even a local Hurricane Harbor), you don’t realize just how bad they are.

VB could really use some good, winding body slides. Outside of that...

I’m dying to know what slides at TL are better than the ones at VB.

Coaster? Not even a contest. You get pushed up 3 small hills and then it’s over. What is Krakatau? 10?
Miss Adventure is great for a family ride. A much needed addition.
Outside of that, the body slides at TL are tolerable.

However, the rest of the slides at TL; meaning the ones with the individual or family tubes, are absolute trash. They’re well themed, but that’s where the enjoyment ends. Until you ride them after VB (or BB or Aquatica or even a local Hurricane Harbor), you don’t realize just how bad they are.

VB could really use some good, winding body slides. Outside of that...
Krakatau is obviously best waterpark ride in Florida....and their family raft slides are pretty great too...that being said, the mat racers are a joke, and the body slides are all extreme. I prefer variety in body slides in a park and I feel VB is severely lacking there.

Don’t get me wrong, Volcano Bay is awesome...but with as much as Universal was praising this thing, it should have been even more.

I treat the two Disney water parks as one thing since they are priced that way. I personally like theme more as a package than volcano bay.

I treat the two Disney water parks as one thing since they are priced that way. I personally like theme more as a package than volcano bay.
I can definitely understand bulking the two when considering price/value. But I disagree with combining them when considering any sort of ranking list regarding quality or park experience.

Products can be cheaper cost, but I don't believe we should conflate cost with quality.

Was there on Saturday, and this place still just blows the other water parks in Orlando out of the water. The slides, food, and drinks are all just so much better. We managed to get on Krakatau 2x, and it is just the best. The cave in the lazy river is still disappointing, but otherwise I can't find a fault with Volcano Bay.

Did the shorter body drop slides for the first time this trip, and man those things are AWESOME. I can't believe how fast you go down those things.

Also had the Waturi Fusion ice cream for the first time, and it was really good! They need to get that stuff into the parks in Seuss Landing or something.

Is this a good park for single riders? I'm planning on going in June but I'm not bringing anyone with me.
Yes and no. I believe you're able to go on all rides but may be paired with other groups for larger raft rides. I don't believe there's any single riders lines.

I've gone on the two-person tubes alone and I'll say it's much slower (I'm about 155, so the extra 125 from my gf helps with speed).

Otherwise, there's a ton to do without a group. The three body slides, the two drop slides, the lazy river, the crazy river, the wave pool, the regular pool, punga racers if you're under 150 lbs. I like going alone sometimes because my gf doesn't do the body slides and it sucks having to ditch her to ride those. At the same time though, I have no one to leave my phone with (and I don't want to pay for a locker each visit)... so I typically have to leave my phone in the car since the intense rides don't allow them.