Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Imagineering Story

Told y’all Iger had an ulterior motive to it with this docuseries.
What kind of rube didn't expect a positive spin on present management? That said, from a non-fanboy point of view, nothing in that description is untrue. Post-Wells Eisner was pretty much a cancer, and Iger saved the company in many ways.

What kind of rube didn't expect a positive spin on present management? That said, from a non-fanboy point of view, nothing in that description is untrue. Post-Wells Eisner was pretty much a cancer, and Iger saved the company in many ways.

My hope was they’d focus on the historical and not dabble in too much company politics. Avoid the pontificating over the legacy of current management and instead pivot to the How.

My hope was they’d focus on the historical and not dabble in too much company politics. Avoid the pontificating over the legacy of current management and instead pivot to the How.
In fairness, the whole series has focused on Walt/Roy, Card Walker, and Eisner/Wells extensively so far.

Guess whaaaat

That's so much worse even than I was expecting. It's blatant cheerleading for Iger. That synopsis presents things that are -- at best -- extremely debatable (and, at worst, completely untrue) as reality.

Looks like Iwerks sold out jut a little bit, because I can't believe a filmmaker as sharp as she is would look at all available evidence and materials... and come up with that conclusion about Iger. At least as it relates to the theme park side of the business.

Something I’d be really interested in seeing is Comcast creating a similar series about Universal Creative. I feel like those behind Universal’s projects don’t get nearly as much credit as imagineers do (among the more casual fans).

Well, it's just simple for the fact Walt Disney Imagineering has far more legacy and fame, as they're the one that started the theme park business. Close fans and moviegoers know the names of those behind Walt Disney Imagineering, like Bob Gurr, Tony Baxter, and Bob Chapek. None of that is true for Universal Creative, we don't even know in general of who is a Universal Studios CEO. I'm pretty sure Comcast/NBCU might add that for the Peacock streaming service, but none of the people would care about Universal theme parks behind the scenes as much as Disney's.

That's so much worse even than I was expecting. It's blatant cheerleading for Iger. That synopsis presents things that are -- at best -- extremely debatable (and, at worst, completely untrue) as reality.

Looks like Iwerks sold out jut a little bit, because I can't believe a filmmaker as sharp as she is would look at all available evidence and materials... and come up with that conclusion about Iger. At least as it relates to the theme park side of the business.

Seriously, Iger doesn't do anything to revolutionize the Disney Corporation at all. All this guy known for is buying out competitors and churn out cheap remakes of their classic animated movies. It's just falsely added just to make Iger look like he did something revolutionary.

To quote myself from a recent post on Magic:
"I hate to be “that guy,” but that is not inaccurate. Comparing first few years of Iger with last few years of Eisner really does paint Iger in a favorable manner. Even though most of us, myself included, aren’t the biggest fan of how things are getting done (ex. IP inclusion overload), it is undeniable that we are/were in a nearly unprecedented time for CapEx at the parks."

I am choosing the wait and see approach on this. Remember that even Eisner is portrayed as an Imagineering hero in Episode 3, and I fully expect his unravelling to be fully covered in Episode 4. While I doubt they will cover Iger's original idea deficit, I expect this to be portrayed ala Eisner, "Imagineering was in a rough place, and *new CEO* picked them up, giving them a greater role once again"

"I hate to be “that guy,” but that is not inaccurate. Comparing first few years of Iger with last few years of Eisner really does paint Iger in a favorable manner. Even though most of us, myself included, aren’t the biggest fan of how things are getting done (ex. IP inclusion overload), it is undeniable that we are/were in a nearly unprecedented time for CapEx at the parks."

The business strategy going forward with Walt Disney World with Rasulo/Staggs and signed off by Iger had determined the resort was mature and constant capex was not needed. They thought MM+ lock in plus the Scene 1 queue enhancements would be all that was needed. Under Iger Imagineering was decimated by Rasulo during this time.

It's *literally not true* and this is historical revisionism. You can't judge nearly 15 years of management on the most two recent years alone. Plus to lump all of the blame AND praise on Iger just isn't justified.

Well, it's just simple for the fact Walt Disney Imagineering has far more legacy and fame, as they're the one that started the theme park business. Close fans and moviegoers know the names of those behind Walt Disney Imagineering, like Bob Gurr, Tony Baxter, and Bob Chapek. None of that is true for Universal Creative, we don't even know in general of who is a Universal Studios CEO. I'm pretty sure Comcast/NBCU might add that for the Peacock streaming service, but none of the people would care about Universal theme parks behind the scenes as much as Disney's.

Seriously, Iger doesn't do anything to revolutionize the Disney Corporation at all. All this guy known for is buying out competitors and churn out cheap remakes of their classic animated movies. It's just falsely added just to make Iger look like he did something revolutionary.

You’ve got Jay Stein, Mark Woodbury, Scott Trowbridge and to a lesser extend Gary Goddard and Steven Spielberg but people aren’t watching this because of the names. Outside of Walt Disney, 99% of people don’t know the names of the people who were behind imagineering.

They’re watching for the backstage access and creative process.

I think the Disney parks have done enough across the domestic and international parks to make it seem like they’ve done enough this side of the millennium.

You’ve got Jay Stein, Mark Woodbury, Scott Trowbridge and to a lesser extend Gary Goddard and Steven Spielberg but people aren’t watching this because of the names. Outside of Walt Disney, 99% of people don’t know the names of the people who were behind imagineering.

They’re watching for the backstage access and creative process.

I think the Disney parks have done enough across the domestic and international parks to make it seem like they’ve done enough this side of the millennium.

But compared to Disney, barely anyone knows the name of Jay Stein, Mark Woodbury, and Scott Trowbridge though, if you simply happened to be a casual fan. Hell, half of people doesn't know the name of a Universal Studios CEO unlike Disney's (hell, I didn't know who Jay Stein or Scott Trowbridge are until you told me). Disney has far more better legacy and meaning, since after all, they started the theme park boom with Disneyland in 1955, and hence, more people are interested in Disney than any company in the world and generally knows the name of those behind Walt Disney Imagineering than Universal Creative.

I am choosing the wait and see approach on this. Remember that even Eisner is portrayed as an Imagineering hero in Episode 3, and I fully expect his unravelling to be fully covered in Episode 4. While I doubt they will cover Iger's original idea deficit, I expect this to be portrayed ala Eisner, "Imagineering was in a rough place, and *new CEO* picked them up, giving them a greater role once again"
This exactly.