Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DL)

Boarding groups were gone in less than a minute today. I got 76 which was in the early numbers of reserves boarding groups. When I tried to get a group my first try it said they were all distributed but I refreshed a few times and got one. My group was called at 3:50 PM. They were on 90 when I left the park at 5:30. It is the least shitty of shitty systems available for a theme park ride but I would be salty too if I didn’t get a chance to ride. I certainly would not wait 5 hours to ride in a normal line or be at the park at 12:00 am to try to bum rush rope drop. The ride is all it’s hyped about. After I ride it a few more times I will have some thoughts.

If I ever showed up to a park obscenely early to ride something, was there before most people, and randomly got assigned to a group that was too late to ride I would probably be asking where Chapek was so I could fight him.

I know he loves entertainment without having to pay anyone for it!

Yeah, they need to reconfigure the boarding groups. Sounds like they're way too conservative of how many people can ride. Ideally, they should only assign groups that are guaranteed to ride and once all of those random slots are full, THEN distribute the back-up/nop guarantee ones. That would really blow for the people who waited obscenely early and find out they were randomly selected to not ride.

Giving it a shot tomorrow, hopefully I can make it into a reasonably timed boarding group, but luckily even if I don't I havent been to the park since before GE opened, so at least there will be other things for me to do.

Good article by Niles on Theme Park insider today, addressing the issues that Disneyland is experiencing with their virtual boarding (Niles is saying it's turned into a lottery) system.

Turns out ill be in anaheim for work this week. Sad it seems like there's no point in even attempting to ride all things considered with my scheduling.

The boarding groups seem to quell the long lines but are also making it so that devoted riders must wait all day in the parks if not "randomly" chosen in one of the earlier boarding groups.

This is the type of business crap I hate. It makes sense from the standpoint of making money but is a complete and utter guest experience failure disguised as a convenience.

Rode it today, got extremely lucky and ended up with boarding group 12 and ended up getting on it before it broke down (it's been down most of the day), really amazing experience, only thing that wasn't working at one point was Kylo's saber. Also, I've found out there is a first come first serve system for boarding groups if you go to the right place, and if you're lucky.

Good article by Niles on Theme Park insider today, addressing the issues that Disneyland is experiencing with their virtual boarding (Niles is saying it's turned into a lottery) system.

It's not quite a lottery, but people only care now because it's on the west coast. This is the exact same way DHS handles it.

I was on the ride when it went down the 2nd time. I was evacuated and that was fun. The cast member was theming saying that we almost got away but failed to make it. Overall amazing ride, just think you need to ride multiple times to catch everything it moves very fast from scene to scene.

Rode it today, got extremely lucky and ended up with boarding group 12 and ended up getting on it before it broke down (it's been down most of the day), really amazing experience, only thing that wasn't working at one point was Kylo's saber. Also, I've found out there is a first come first serve system for boarding groups if you go to the right place, and if you're lucky.

Would you like to expand on that last point?

Would you like to expand on that last point?
There are some spots around the park where they provide paper boarding passes at fastpass stations, but I'm not sure which stations exactly provide them or if all of them are operational each day. It's also highly unlikely for you to get a boarding pass this way unless you're among the first 10 or so people in line and if luck is on your side. People do rush to get to any stations so it's fairly competitive, but if you're lucky with it you could end up being among the first crews to go in the day.

Thinking about going tomorrow and checking this out. Anyone know what Disneyland is like on an MLK day, generally speaking? Can’t compare it to previous years because of the ride, obviously, but I’m just trying to get an idea. Similar to how it was today, maybe? A lot of people will still be at work, but I do know that LA and OC public schools get it off, so has me thinking it could be pretty busy.

Also, any tips for the morning and getting a boarding pass?

Thinking about going tomorrow and checking this out. Anyone know what Disneyland is like on an MLK day, generally speaking? Can’t compare it to previous years because of the ride, obviously, but I’m just trying to get an idea. Similar to how it was today, maybe? A lot of people will still be at work, but I do know that LA and OC public schools get it off, so has me thinking it could be pretty busy.

Just be at the front gates by 7am you do not have to be there earlier than that. If you are going with multiple people link Your pass with them on the app so all of you can try and get a boarding pass. I recommend opening the app at 759 and then as soon as it hits 8 tap the boarding pass icon and hope to god it loads. It only loaded for one person in my group and we got 25.

Isn't the difference between DHS and DLR that DLR gets double the attendance on a regular basis? And they're doing 8am openings whereas DHS was opening at 6am? I don't know. Those 2 hours weeds out a lot less serious folk. :lol:

I suspect it will be pretty busy. Saturday we parked by 7 and were in the park by 7:45. The lines were backed up to DCA but then they opened more gates. I thought we cut it pretty close but getting there super early has no advantage. I’ll be there about the same time tomorrow ready to roll the dice.

I think that the whole boarding pass thing is dropping the ball on Disney's side. All new rides have high demand, but the thing here is that this particular ride was rushed into completion. The ride wasn't ready in May, the ride wasn't quite ready for January. We know the ride was way behind schedule and they feared it wouldn't even be ready for their opening dates for this winter. We know the rumors that the rides, specially in Orlando, are running at the very low end of capacity. Turning rides over to operations mere weeks before the opening date is a huge problem. Rides used to be completed and handed over months in advance. Operations would do the regular AP previews, CM previews and soft openings way before the opening date. The kinks would be ironed out and people were allowed to screw up and get used to handling the ride weeks in advance. CMs assigned to the ride would test loading periods and would make observations on how to make the process better. They hit the ground running on opening day, having a smooth operation since the trial period was a long one. With this ride they had like a week of CM previews with a load of guests not even close to the low ends of capacity. They do not test the ride in real world conditions and guests are suffering for it, suffering for Disney's failure on getting the rides on time. They had impossible deadlines, knowing all the problems the rides had and that it might require a lot more time to get them fully ready. They decided to erase the trial period and let the regular guests navigate through the frustrating period of soft openings: ride breaking down constantly, low capacity and inconsistent experiences. When you get to soft open a ride or you get on a CM preview, you know in advance that your experience may suffer because you are a guinea pig and you are grateful you are being consider to test the ride (I did several when I was an AP on USH). But regular guests must be very frustrated that they planned a vacation or a trip to be able to ride ROTR to get there and being told that they won't get to ride it because Disney didn't plan well. I would be frustrated as well. I wouldn't mind waiting in line for 2 or 3 hours to be able to ride (heck, I did it for Transformers in the first months) but boarding groups are just so random.

I think that the whole boarding pass thing is dropping the ball on Disney's side. All new rides have high demand, but the thing here is that this particular ride was rushed into completion. The ride wasn't ready in May, the ride wasn't quite ready for January. We know the ride was way behind schedule and they feared it wouldn't even be ready for their opening dates for this winter. We know the rumors that the rides, specially in Orlando, are running at the very low end of capacity. Turning rides over to operations mere weeks before the opening date is a huge problem. Rides used to be completed and handed over months in advance. Operations would do the regular AP previews, CM previews and soft openings way before the opening date. The kinks would be ironed out and people were allowed to screw up and get used to handling the ride weeks in advance. CMs assigned to the ride would test loading periods and would make observations on how to make the process better. They hit the ground running on opening day, having a smooth operation since the trial period was a long one. With this ride they had like a week of CM previews with a load of guests not even close to the low ends of capacity. They do not test the ride in real world conditions and guests are suffering for it, suffering for Disney's failure on getting the rides on time. They had impossible deadlines, knowing all the problems the rides had and that it might require a lot more time to get them fully ready. They decided to erase the trial period and let the regular guests navigate through the frustrating period of soft openings: ride breaking down constantly, low capacity and inconsistent experiences. When you get to soft open a ride or you get on a CM preview, you know in advance that your experience may suffer because you are a guinea pig and you are grateful you are being consider to test the ride (I did several when I was an AP on USH). But regular guests must be very frustrated that they planned a vacation or a trip to be able to ride ROTR to get there and being told that they won't get to ride it because Disney didn't plan well. I would be frustrated as well. I wouldn't mind waiting in line for 2 or 3 hours to be able to ride (heck, I did it for Transformers in the first months) but boarding groups are just so random.
If I waited in line. The ride opens at 9am and it went down multiple times
I would have been on at 4pm I’m glad I don’t have to do that