Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DL)

I want to make sure I understand this correctly since I’m planning on going later next month. The reservation system opens at 8 AM. However, the gates don’t open until 9 AM. Right? So everyone’s requesting a boarding group while waiting for rope drop?

Also, if you have 2 people in your party, are you allowed to request separately? So each party member is requesting a boarding group for 2.
Reservation system opens when park opens. Weekends it is usually 8:00 for DL. Weekdays like today they opened at 9:00 so I suspect the reservations did not start until 9:00. You need to link your group to 1 app. You cannot ride it twice in one day. If you don't link your group then you can get individual times but there is no guarantee it will be the same group.

I want to make sure I understand this correctly since I’m planning on going later next month. The reservation system opens at 8 AM. However, the gates don’t open until 9 AM. Right? So everyone’s requesting a boarding group while waiting for rope drop?

Also, if you have 2 people in your party, are you allowed to request separately? So each party member is requesting a boarding group for 2.
They open the gates to the park around 7:15, everyone files into main street and the hub, then at around 7:45 they drop the rope and youre free to roam the park, at 8 am the boarding passes open on the app and at the fastpass kiosks, boarding passes are gone usually within a minute, and usually around 9:30 the ride is operational

Good to know! The reservations start at 8? What about doubling up on requests?
You can't "double up," you either link accounts, or you don't. You can "double up" in the sense that both you and your friend can refresh the feed on your own phones, which gives you a better shot at someone getting through, but it's not like you can have an account with them on it, and then they have an account with you on it, and you thereby have double opportunities to ride. It's just the one shot, frustrating as it is.

The days of proper “softs” are pretty much over. Mainly because of the internet and the ability to get information out immediately. No longer do people “just get lucky” or should expect a slow opening before the “grand” opening.
As far as “opening too early” keep in mind Disneyland was actually delayed. You also have to consider that rides are getting more and more technical and complicated to operate.

I’m not 100% a fan of the boarding pass system, but I think it’s probably the best option that doesn’t rely on Grabbing a 60 day fast pass. You can literally show up any morning and have a good chance of getting on without having to wait all day in a long line, get to the park at 4am, or staying at an on-site hotel.
Soft openings were not done to hype the ride, they were (are) done to test the ride before officially opening. Since rides are complicated beasts, they soft open and have multiple previews for operations to get the hang of it. I do not understand the logic of people "spoiling" the ride. What is there to spoil in a ride? Yes, Disneyland was delayed because it wasn't ready, and yet it still wasn't ready to open in January, but they determined that they had already waited too long already. WDW had it worst since theirs wasn't close to be ready and they are running at the low end of capacity because of that. There were rumors that the top brass was very worried because they were about to delay the opening date yet again but they didn't want to announce and have massive cancelations in December. As we can see, the rides weren't ready on time, ready on time to have a lengthy trial period with soft openings and AP previews. With previous openings you had at least a month of a trial period. Rides are complex, yes, but that is not a justification to rush a ride to open without it's trial period (the CM previews were pretty short). I cannot think of a more complex ride than Forbidden Journey or Transformers and those rides were ready for softs and AP previews and ran smoothly for weeks on end. If ny any chance it closed for some hours, the ride would stay open even after park closing hours for people to be able to enjoy it. Your comment is actually not correct since people have actually been lining up at 6 AM to get a chance to get a boarding pass to no avail.
Again a soft opening does not become a normal opening just because people know about it. A soft opening just means Disney can open the ride for only a few hours then shut it down for the rest of the day without the responsibility they have no to get it running again. Most people aren't going to make vacation plans for a soft opening nor use up a single ticket.
Thank you. Yes. Totally agree. Soft openings are not even announced per se. Word just gets around about the period in which the ride might be open and if you get lucky then cool.
That’s fair, I get it. But it’s still a better system than a free-for-all. A standby line also doesn’t guarantee that you’ll ride. The wait time could easily reach 12 hours (or more), and then when the ride inevitably goes down for a little... idk.

And let’s be honest — there are things you can do on your phone to give yourself a better chance. Close your other apps, use a friend’s hotspot and put your phone on airplane mode, make sure you have the most recent OS, etc.

But those people would have had no interest in being there for anything other than RotR in the first place... If not for the ride, they likely would have just stayed home. Otherwise they wouldn’t have left the park. Disney doesn’t lose anything there. Also, people are spending hella time in GE (myself included). I think it’s fine.
I am sorry, but a 12 hour wait for a ride is a stretch with a ride fully operational, not at the level it's operating at the moment. Not even Hagrid's got waits that long and mind you that Hagrid's was also a ride that was rushed to completion, pardon me, rushed for opening day, because it opened and the ride was not ready, and was running on a ridiculously low capacity. As in ridiculously low capacity. Almost all Disneyland would have to be in line to get a wait time like that. Millenium Falcon can accommodate around 30, 000 guests per day. Let's ballpark ROTR capacity at that. Disneyland had an approximate capacity of 80,000 guests. So the park being at full capacity would mean that 1/3 of all guests would have to be lining up to ride ROTR. That's a stretch (and I repeat, if it was a ride operating as it was designed to, not at the level it's operating now) My point is precisely that, two rides not quite ready for opening day that made guests wait long time or get into a ridiculous boarding pass system. By the way, guests don't spend too much time in GE as a land. There is not much to do there. The panic at Disneyland was set off by that, that guests weren't spending that much time at GE.
Any ride that requires people to be in the park the second the park opens to play a digitally lottery to get a chance to maybe ride it should not be advertised as being officially open. It is not a guest friendly way to operate a brand new ride. If this was how they were handling technical rehearsals, I would be more then okay with it. However, if a ride is advertised as being officially open, then people will expect to be able to ride it just like any other ride. I would be more than okay with waiting 3 hours for a new ride. I'm not okay with a system that makes it so you have to be in the park to play a lottery the moment the park opens. To me, a ride being officially open means that I can get in line for it whenever I like as long as I get in line before the park closes and the ride isn't currently experiencing downtime.
Totally agree

I am sorry, but a 12 hour wait for a ride is a stretch with a ride fully operational, not at the level it's operating at the moment. Not even Hagrid's got waits that long and mind you that Hagrid's was also a ride that was rushed to completion, pardon me, rushed for opening day, because it opened and the ride was not ready, and was running on a ridiculously low capacity.
No, it’s not a stretch at all. The Hagrid ride regularly hit 10 hours went it first opened.

('Harry Potter' fans battle crowds and lightning in 10-hour wait to ride new 'Hagrid' roller coaster)

It is not far fetched in the least to think Disneyland’s first ground-up e-ticket ride since Radiator Springs Racers—or, if you really wanna get technical, the first ground-up e-ticket since Indiana Jones—would attract crowds of that magnitude. I won’t pretend to know what the ride’s capacity is, but I do know this: The day I went, the last boarding group was 105, according to a sign outside of the ride at about 9pm. I checked the app, and they were only boarding group 105 at that point, meaning they likely would have boarded all groups well before the park closed. So naturally, I asked “Will there be a standby line after that?” And they said no. But there’s no reason there couldn’t have been one. The ride ran successfully enough throughout the day that they boarded the 88 guaranteed groups, and then all the remaining standby groups that weren’t guaranteed, and they still had a few hours to spare.

So idk. Take the capacity of everyone who got to ride the ride that day, add in the X amount of people who would have happily stood in a standby line after all the groups had boarded (without forgetting that there definitely would have been a line to get into that line if there was even an inkling of a possibility that it could happen) and I think you have a ride that can clearly operate at capacity and would have a standby that could easily touch 12 hours, if not more. For one reason or another, Disney decided this was the most convenient and efficient way to do this, and it’s hard to disagree. My experience was utterly seamless and efficient. I guess that’s a privileged position, but it’s still the truth.

Reservation system opens when park opens. Weekends it is usually 8:00 for DL. Weekdays like today they opened at 9:00 so I suspect the reservations did not start until 9:00. You need to link your group to 1 app. You cannot ride it twice in one day. If you don't link your group then you can get individual times but there is no guarantee it will be the same group.
No, it’s not a stretch at all. The Hagrid ride regularly hit 10 hours went it first opened.

('Harry Potter' fans battle crowds and lightning in 10-hour wait to ride new 'Hagrid' roller coaster)

It is not far fetched in the least to think Disneyland’s first ground-up e-ticket ride since Radiator Springs Racers—or, if you really wanna get technical, the first ground-up e-ticket since Indiana Jones—would attract crowds of that magnitude. I won’t pretend to know what the ride’s capacity is, but I do know this: The day I went, the last boarding group was 105, according to a sign outside of the ride at about 9pm. I checked the app, and they were only boarding group 105 at that point, meaning they likely would have boarded all groups well before the park closed. So naturally, I asked “Will there be a standby line after that?” And they said no. But there’s no reason there couldn’t have been one. The ride ran successfully enough throughout the day that they boarded the 88 guaranteed groups, and then all the remaining standby groups that weren’t guaranteed, and they still had a few hours to spare.

So idk. Take the capacity of everyone who got to ride the ride that day, add in the X amount of people who would have happily stood in a standby line after all the groups had boarded (without forgetting that there definitely would have been a line to get into that line if there was even an inkling of a possibility that it could happen) and I think you have a ride that can clearly operate at capacity and would have a standby that could easily touch 12 hours, if not more. For one reason or another, Disney decided this was the most convenient and efficient way to do this, and it’s hard to disagree. My experience was utterly seamless and efficient. I guess that’s a privileged position, but it’s still the truth.
i waited technically from 10:30 till 3:30 to ride it on Sunday with breakdowns which this ride will go down. Other people waited longer in the virtual line as well. I was boarding group 25. Anyone past that didn’t get on until like 5:30 lol the park was busy as normal and out wasn’t chaotic at all, no running to the land or anything.

RSR, Mermaid, Guardians, Nemo, and IJA all had multiple hour lines at open. New rides are popular and people will wait for them.

In the days before mobile apps and even paper FASTPASS, all they had was a line! It's well-documented that the Indiana Jones queue would fill its interior space, its exterior area, then snake across Adventureland and then up and down Main Street.

I''ve been kind of been keeping my distance from these threads to avoid spoilers so this may have been answered.

What do you do if you don’t have a phone to use the app and want to ride?

I''ve been kind of been keeping my distance from these threads to avoid spoilers so this may have been answered.

They have CM stations, but what I've read is that they only end up getting about 50 people a day on the boarding groups...which is really nothing.

In the days before mobile apps and even paper FASTPASS, all they had was a line! It's well-documented that the Indiana Jones queue would fill its interior space, its exterior area, then snake across Adventureland and then up and down Main Street.
And it'd be a very, very similar thing with this ride. I've actually kinda leaned into my own conspiracy theory that they want to avoid having a massive queue that would break the "immersiveness" of Batuu. Like I said, two different guest relations people alluded to that -- one of them even said, "We can't give away the location of the secret rebel base," or something dumb like that. Again, not sure if they were just being playful or if they were trying to explain the policy in an "immersive" way, but idk. I've got my tinfoil hat on, for sure, lol.

What was the Smugglers Run queue like when GE first opened? I didn't visit until mid-September last year.

Under the circumstances....Extreme demand, very low capacity (some insiders say 25%),constant tech breakdowns.....honestly....there's no existing line system that would work well. Since Disney made the decision, like Universal did with Hagrid, to open it before it's time, it's going to be a pain to ride it.

The reservation system opens when the park opens. If the park opens at 8, the app starts at 8, if the park opens at 9, the app starts at 9. You can request a boarding pass anywhere within reasonable proximity to the park. I've heard people getting passes from the Grand Californian.

my advice is that you can’t ride during the virtual queue period and will need to wait until regular lines open... or you get a phone that can download and run the app.

Or you take a chance and hope you can get a paper ticket, which is very unlikely.