The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 414 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that's always confused me with Jack is how the music box is essentially his own lantern. Do you need to put the music box in the lantern to fully contain him and Chance?

Completely Off recent topic/ discussion, but for the icon house are we thinking we will only see the icons in the house or the icons with their side characters/ minions? Examples..lady lucks minion spade face guys, jacks -tiny/chance/eddie, storytellers minions, fears lantern faces etc..?

Some of you all really need to watch Hill House.

Sure they could set it all in Hill House, but they would be missing out on some good scares/moments that didn't happen in Hill House. And anyways there are only technically three important moments that happen in Hill House; the rest of the moments at Hill House just build up to those moments.

I watched Hill House. I was the Bent Neck Lady for Halloween once. I think the house could be just as effective, if not more so, if it didn’t rely on being a textbook scene for scene re-enactment of the series, and instead placed you in Hill House with its many ghosts. However, if it is re-enactment of the series I’m sure it’ll be great too.

I totally agree! You should always watch the source material before going to Horror Nights. Dont do what I did and go into Poltergeist having not watched the movie. The house can be really confusing if you aren't familiar with the source material.
I made the mistake of not watching Stranger Things before 28.

Banged through all 3 seasons before last year's HHN lol.

I watched Hill House. I was the Bent Neck Lady for Halloween once. I think the house could be just as effective, if not more so, if it didn’t rely on being a textbook scene for scene re-enactment of the series, and instead placed you in Hill House with its many ghosts. However, if it is re-enactment of the series I’m sure it’ll be great too.

Given what they did with Poltergeist I am anticipating great things.

For IP houses, I'd highly suggest ALWAYS watching the source material first. It will likely make the houses more enjoyable and less confusing because they always take sets and characters and generally take scenes straight from the IP. I'd imagine Ho1C would have been thoroughly confusing if you hadn't seen the movie. Same with Stranger Things, Exorcist, Halloween, etc. I could see where watching 9 seasons of AHS would be taxing, but something like a single movie or 1 season of HoHH or 3 seasons of Stranger Things is more than worth it. Just my suggestion.

so halloween horror nights Instagram was posting a pic each week of previous events (kinda like a countdown) and they completely skipped hhn 17 and 18. It’s probably nothing but it makes me wonder if they did that so we don’t expect Bloody Mary to pop up at the event this year?

so halloween horror nights Instagram was posting a pic each week of previous events (kinda like a countdown) and they completely skipped hhn 17 and 18. It’s probably nothing but it makes me wonder if they did that so we don’t expect Bloody Mary to pop up at the event this year?

...or the event still wants you to keep an eye on their socials in case it still happens this year. Right now they are just trying to do anything they can to get people interest in the event, without announcing/confirming anything.

I always get a kick out of the character backstory debates. If I go this year, it will be my 14th HHN. I've never lived in Florida so it's always a big deal to arrange for our trip there so I'd say me and my group are pretty hardcore fans. I don't think any of us (well, maybe one) know anything about the back stories or cares. Jack is a scary clown. Chance is his GF. Fear allegedly controlled everything and had the lantern. Oh look, Jack's back. Whatever, all that means is a cool Jack show. Legendary Truth, they're invisible ghostbusters. Body Collectors are scary bald guys that apparently have something to do with Buffy the Vampire Slayer which is a TV show I never watched a single episode of.

That's about all I need to know (from reading these forums I've picked up on the Cindy/Eddie/etc lore) and don't really gleam anything else from the houses. Still have a blast.

It's like me going to see a Marvel movie. Captain America is from the WWI timeframe, got it. Oh, now he's in the current timeframe? Sure, got it. Red Skull is a bad guy. Bucky is sorta good, sorta bad, and his best friend from WWI. That's silly, but got it. And having a comic book nerd be like, "Well, what REALLY happened in the comics is in issue #37 he got trapped in ice and then in #76 he battled so-and-so and took his time machine and then he died in #100 and came back to life in #101 and he turned evil for an 8 issue run in 1983 and then bla bla bla bla." Don't care. I enjoyed the movie for the 90min of stuff that was on the screen, I didn't need a 50 year history of all the comic adventures he had.

Feel the same with HHN. I enjoy the 2 minute long walkthroughs presented to me, and enjoy 95% of them. There's only been a few houses over the 14 years I didn't like or understand what was going on. Even when I don't understand them, it's usually just a an awesome spooky looking scene with people yelling "boo!" and startling me because I was busy taking in the awesome scenery. That's why I keep going back.

Nothing wrong with diehards. Just my point of view of the lore/history/back story of the characters.

Well, akshully - the Captain America movie was set during WWII so...

My only concern with it being in Hill House is having generic mansion hallways, and then Occasionally having one of the three important scenes as a highlight. I think it would have more variety if it actually did re-enacted scenes in the house. If not, it might just come off as just bland scary house with scary ghosts to most people. I’m not one who would usually advocate for re-enactments, but I think Hill House could thrive on it.

Some of you all really need to watch Hill House.

Sure they could set it all in Hill House, but they would be missing out on some good scares/moments that didn't happen in Hill House. And anyways there are only technically three important moments that happen in Hill House; the rest of the moments at Hill House just build up to those moments.
Or, they could just enjoy the house with no expectation.

And besides, I’m not really debating on this. I was told there are no scenes in the haunt that take place in the funeral home or motel hallway. I specifically asked about those two scenes.

Last edited:
Or, they could just enjoy the house with expectation.

And besides, I’m not really debating on this. I was told there are no scenes in the haunt that take place in the funeral home or motel hallway. I specifically asked about those two scenes.
can we presume that the morgue isn’t included either, because it’s technically a part of the funeral home? Or is it safe to say that they are separate?

Or, they could just enjoy the house with expectation.

It's probably just "cute" thing they're doing; but, since they went right to 2009, that leave just enough weeks until opening night to post a picture from the remaining years

IE: HHN20 next week, HHN21, the week of July 6th...etc...etc...until HHN29 is the week before opening night.

Something that's always confused me with Jack is how the music box is essentially his own lantern. Do you need to put the music box in the lantern to fully contain him and Chance?
Jack is basically a spirit/demon that becomes unleashed from the box when someone turns the crank and kills whoever releases him and after all his carnage has been completed, he goes back in the box until someone summons him by turning the crank again. Chance is just a psychotic human (?) girl which is why she was able to be arrested and locked up in Shadybrook ( I don’t know if she’s fully human as her eyes are yellow and she seems to be unnaturally strong but she was able to be contained briefly unlike Jack).

Jack is basically a spirit/demon that becomes unleashed from the box when someone turns the crank and kills whoever releases him and after all his carnage has been completed, he goes back in the box until someone summons him by turning the crank again. Chance is just a psychotic human (?) girl which is why she was able to be arrested and locked up in Shadybrook ( I don’t know if she’s fully human as her eyes are yellow and she seems to be unnaturally strong but she was able to be contained briefly unlike Jack).
Jack got locked up in Shadybrook in 2006. He also escaped though.

Reactions: Darko
No, he’s not. He’s essentially a zombie with his own agency. The only thing to ever “summon” him was Fear.

Well, akshully - the Captain America movie was set during WWII so...

And that's exactly my point. I even forgot the backstory since seeing the movie once in the theaters a decade or so ago. But guess what? Doesn't impact my enjoyment of the film at all. I still recall liking the movie. It could have been the war of 1812 or the Iraq War. I don't get bogged down with the details :)

If I think Jack was stuck in Fear's lantern and he was actually in the jack-in-a-box or locked up in Hellgate or Shadybrook or wherever, doesn't matter. He's a scary clown dating a Harley Quinn ripoff. That's all I need to know to enjoy any house he's in. To think that a 2 minute walkthrough with 10 rooms and scares/interactions you might only get every third time through tells a deep narrative story is silly. Lots of people go one night only and they enjoy the houses for what they are.

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my personal opinion and I feel bad when newbies post their, "This is my first HHN, so excited!!!! What's Jack's backstory!?!?!? I need to know before I can enjoy the event!" and that makes me sad. You need to enjoy the house for what it is, and what you get out of it, and not go in thinking of 20 years of event history and trying to figure out how it all plays in. Don't want people thinking they won't enjoy the event if they don't understand the entire hisotry. All the power to you if you want to analyze the house during/after the event and flesh out and update the history/canon. Just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: londonwerecat
No, he’s not. He’s essentially a zombie with his own agency. The only thing to ever “summon” him was Fear.
Oops sorry my mistake! I know that he’s undead I just assumed he was a spirit that was tethered to the box because playing the box is supposed to unleash him.

And that's exactly my point. I even forgot the backstory since seeing the movie once in the theaters a decade or so ago. But guess what? Doesn't impact my enjoyment of the film at all. I still recall liking the movie. It could have been the war of 1812 or the Iraq War. I don't get bogged down with the details :)

If I think Jack was stuck in Fear's lantern and he was actually in the jack-in-a-box or locked up in Hellgate or Shadybrook or wherever, doesn't matter. He's a scary clown dating a Harley Quinn ripoff. That's all I need to know to enjoy any house he's in. To think that a 2 minute walkthrough with 10 rooms and scares/interactions you might only get every third time through tells a deep narrative story is silly. Lots of people go one night only and they enjoy the houses for what they are.

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my personal opinion and I feel bad when newbies post their, "This is my first HHN, so excited!!!! What's Jack's backstory!?!?!? I need to know before I can enjoy the event!" and that makes me sad. You need to enjoy the house for what it is, and what you get out of it, and not go in thinking of 20 years of event history and trying to figure out how it all plays in. Don't want people thinking they won't enjoy the event if they don't understand the entire hisotry. All the power to you if you want to analyze the house during/after the event and flesh out and update the history/canon. Just not my cup of tea.

No worries. I agree with your premise about casual fans etc. Just trying to joke about the types of people who would correct about irrelevant details. (hoping the "akshully" spelling made that clear but i guess i need to work on my material more :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.