Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 437 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2/5 of the lands in Uni’s second park had a theme designed specifically to appeal to young children. These weren’t afterthoughts or mini-lands. The fact that those areas featured rides young children couldn’t ride was a design problem - unless one wants to argue that Cat in the Hat was aimed at tweens. The other areas in IoA, though broader in thier appeal, also featured themes of particular interest to young children. I just find the idea that IoA skews older then EPCOT or AK or MGM very questionable.
You're looking at themes and not actual content. Six Flags features rides themed to childrens characters (DC Comics) and slaps them on giant thrill machines.

I also question the idea that in 1999 kids were chomping at the bit for Dudley Do Right and Popeye.

You're looking at themes and not actual content. Six Flags features rides themed to childrens characters (DC Comics) and slaps them on giant thrill machines.

I also question the idea that in 1999 kids were chomping at the bit for Dudley Do Right and Popeye.
Themes are the core of a theme park. They’re what get people in the door, what make it distinct from a Six Flags. They’re a major reason people spend thousands on a trip to Orlando rather then go to thier local Six Flags. A Dora the Explorer land with a hypercoaster wouldn’t be an adult-skewing land, it would be a fundamentally flawed land.

And come on, DC is not equivalent to Seuss, it’s equivalent to Marvel - both appeal to young kids, but not solely or even primarily.

Reactions: JS610
2/5 of the lands in Uni’s second park had a theme designed specifically to appeal to young children. These weren’t afterthoughts or mini-lands. The fact that those areas featured rides young children couldn’t ride was a design problem - unless one wants to argue that Cat in the Hat was aimed at tweens. The other areas in IoA, though broader in thier appeal, also featured themes of particular interest to young children. I just find the idea that IoA skews older then EPCOT or AK or MGM very questionable.
Toon Lagoon is actually an adult-oriented land and always was. Dudley and Popeye were at the height of the popularity during the Boomer generation. Same with Rocky and Bullwinkle. Millennials were cognizant of the characters because their parents were fans (source-me). The funny pages were “family friendly” in that it’s bright colors and clean jokes, but it’s not designed “for young children.”

Toon Lagoon is actually an adult-oriented land and always was. Dudley and Popeye were at the height of the popularity during the Boomer generation. Same with Rocky and Bullwinkle. Millennials were cognizant of the characters because their parents were fans (source-me). The funny pages were “family friendly” in that it’s bright colors and clean jokes, but it’s not designed “for young children.”
To be totally fair, Toon Lagoon is just fundamentally a weird location and its intended audience unclear. Yes, Dudley is from the 60s while Popeye's and Boop's heyday was the 30s. Some of the comic characters are even older. None of the featured characters are likely to have a ton of personal relevance to most guests, regardless of age, and the bright colors and cartoony tone make children the most likely to respond. The overall oddness of having such a land at a major theme park is a big reason I like it and hope it sticks around.

Yep....I'll give an example. College in 1968. In those ancient times, no TV's in the dorm rooms, no computers, no smartphones . But there was a large rec room that held about 200 people and it had a TV. There were only
two times during the week that the rec room was packed with students. Monday night watching the immensely popular at that time, Rowan & Martins Laugh In. The other time that it was packed was Saturday morning when George of the Jungle,
Dudley Do Right, Tom Slick, Super Chicken & then Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons ran back to back on network tv. As soon as the show started, nearly everyone in the room would chant , "George, George, George of the Jungle". Even sporting events didn't
get those kinds of crowds watching and enjoying.

The friends I have who love that land the most and have an emotional attachment are in their twenties. Go figure.
Dudley's humor is timeless. I still laugh hard through those scenes. Popeye's humor is more on the 'it's so corny it's actually funny side'. And, they're probably two of
the best water rides, that actually soak you....I love Splash, which is a slightly better overall attraction, but not much of a wet water ride. I've rarely gotten more than a short wet spray on it.

I like Toon Lagoon too much to throw SpongeBob in there. I think they should hold onto it as a contingency for the Simpsons rights in 2028 and convert Springfield into Bikini Bottom. A lot of the area could just be a reskin and the Simpsons Ride building could finally be torn down and converted as the building will be almost 40 at that point.

A Nickelodeon land seems like a easy choice. Lots of properties to pull from. Very popular with kids and adults. And don't they already have Spongebob and Patrick walking around the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.