Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
First when you have to run 1200-1600 people through and Hour it is very tough to amp up the scares. 2nd keeping cast members for the runs are getting tougher when you ask people to work so many nights. When there is a shortage they seem to grab employees with no interest to fill a spot. I read a lot on the Big dollar haunts around the country and they all have meetings and training through out the year. They don't go OK lets hire 1500 people and see what we get. Again the numbers game is a different thing all together. I watched the special they did years ago as many of you have The Art of the Scare. They attempt to teach people in a couple days to learn how to scare people. They are given a line (as HOS does also) to do over and over. When you are stuck in the same area over and over watching a Congo Line go by it does take away from keeping psyched to scare people.

Also Hate to fly very good list of House idea I would not be a fan of seeing the Popeye Que used as a house as It is just not easy to get in there, If I remember the lines for the Ship haunt where terrible and the haunt was not very good.

Outdoor theme haunt, Those seem like a great idea unless the weather changes and the rain comes down then you lose a haunt. See rain via Scarezones for that one.

Also Brian so true about using both entrances I remember 14 and you came in at IOA and left at IOA, Sorry that sucked bad.

I don't really care about Scarezones. Never have, never will.

If the SZ quality suffers while House quality is at its highest, I don't have a problem.

That's a decent stand point if you only go once or twice, or are brave enough to go into houses.

However, Horror Nights has a a decent amount of people who go more than once and an even larger amount of people who for whatever reason don't go into houses and for that reason we need to have strong scarezones. Scarezones are what makes the event still intense for those who don't go into houses and what entertains those who have gone through houses quite a bit. In reality, they serve more of a purpose for those who won't go in houses, but it's an added bonus for those of us who attend a bit to much and don't want to wait 45 minutes for a house we've already been through 10 times.

Is it unreasonable to expect strong scare zones AND strong houses? Geesh, A&D is very capable of doing it.

Given the rumor that A&D found out literally 48 hours before everyone else... and they're already deep into the development of HHN22... we may see another year of last minute changes, canon-befuddling headaches, and frankly weird year. They probably had something planned for the Jaws queue that'll either need to be axed or changed to suit a new venue (which will also shape where the event actually occurs). Very, very curious stuff.

Given the rumor that A&D found out literally 48 hours before everyone else... and they're already deep into the development of HHN22... we may see another year of last minute changes, canon-befuddling headaches, and frankly weird year. They probably had something planned for the Jaws queue that'll either need to be axed or changed to suit a new venue (which will also shape where the event actually occurs). Very, very curious stuff.

I know a lot of the planning is done many months, if not years, in advance for some of the events... They still have many months to go, so I'm confident they can roll with the punches and adapt whatever, if anything, they need to adapt.

I know a lot of the planning is done many months, if not years, in advance for some of the events... They still have many months to go, so I'm confident they can roll with the punches and adapt whatever, if anything, they need to adapt.

Last time that happened we got FEAR. I can't say I'm entirely confident we'll get great results - though with any luck we'll get a strong lineup of houses like last year.

I don't really care about Scarezones. Never have, never will.

If the SZ quality suffers while House quality is at its highest, I don't have a problem.

While I do mostly agree with what Jake said, I do feel the need to point out that what made HHN17 (Carnival of Carnage) so awful was the complete lack of scarezones. I also must add that what made HHN14 so great was the combined quality of scarezones and houses. You're in the extreme minority.

While I do mostly agree with what Jake said, I do feel the need to point out that what made HHN17 (Carnival of Carnage) so awful was the complete lack of scarezones. I also must add that what made HHN14 so great was the combined quality of scarezones and houses. You're in the extreme minority.

I'm okay with that. But basically every scarezone in every park I've ever been to is basically the same thing with a slightly different theme.

The houses are where the real originality and creativity can thrive, IMO, and I'd rather see them be the best they can be rather than a heavy focus on scarezones.

I'm okay with that. But basically every scarezone in every park I've ever been to is basically the same thing with a slightly different theme.

The houses are where the real originality and creativity can thrive, IMO, and I'd rather see them be the best they can be rather than a heavy focus on scarezones.
I agree, the houses should always be better than a zone.
The zones need to have a atmosphere that carries you through the event when going from house to house

True, but we've seen some creative scarezones in the past. Like Octobers Fade said, the focus should always be on houses, but scarezones still need to have somewhat of a budget.

I don't think they Sprung anything on Art and Design a couple days in advance. I think they sprung it on the public to keep the whining down. I am sure they have already planned and have there plans in place. Scarezone are atmosphere there scares are minimum because of the numbers of people going through them. HHN failed miserable with the One scarzone at 15 because they tried to do clowns and not just clowns but French Clowns, Come on Scary French Clowns,,,lol

HHN failed miserable with the One scarzone at 15 because they tried to do clowns and not just clowns but French Clowns, Come on Scary French Clowns,,,lol
17? And I liked that zone. Then again that was the only real zone.

On the note of zones, they need to have decent themes, a relative amount of set pieces, occasionally tie into surrounding houses, and be as plentiful as possible (within reason). My favorite year for streets (that I've attended), has been 18. 6 STRONG scarezones, and 2 "atmosphere" zones providing an abundance of scares. It genuinely hit the mark.

20 wasn't a bad year for zones either, it particularly had two zones I fell in love with and that was 20 Years of Revealed as I have dubbed it.

I have to question that A&D was just recently told of the Jaws closure. I don't think Universal keeps Universal out of the loop of what it's doing. Closing a ride doesn't get decided on in a week or two. I'm sure someone mentioned at some point to A&D that this might be happening and too be ready, or else Universal just shot themselves in the foot.

^ Coming from a large corporation I have to disagree. Different departments keep different things under wraps until there ready to talk about it. The less people that know about something big in the works usually the better.

I think A&D knew about JAWS a long time ago to be honest.. Remember the slogan in 2010? 'A New Era of Darkness', well guess what I think that was a sign of stuff to come. The event is about to get a massive layout change, which means a makeover for the event and to be honest the event needs it.

Hell inless then 5yrs we might loose some more house locations to other stuff happening in the park.

I can only imagine the awesome stuff they can do with the new lagoon show equipment for HHN! Horror projections in the lagoon could be awesome for atmosphere at the event!

It would not work if they add more houses most have staffing issues as it is.
IMO eight houses is enough, if they make it harder for me do it all in one night I would be disappointed.

They won't have a choice if the event continues to grow in popularity.

Unless they plan on actually enforcing a decent capacity limit (ha, yeah right).