Big Thunder Refurbishment - Early 2012 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Big Thunder Refurbishment - Early 2012

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Orlando Theme Park News has a new photo update: http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2012/02/magic-kingdom-big-thunder-mountain.html

DSC01278.jpg

Really happy to see it get such an extensive refurb, but Joey (U-Phone) and I are missing its reopening by a few days since we'll be there May freaking 5th for our newspaper states. Wonderful.

exactly Kingeric. I can't really applaud this move so much as be happy they are finally doing it. It was easier to count the effects that did work rather than count the ones that did not. Very few things worked right or looked great on the ride anymore. 40 years is a long time for a themed outdoor coaster to never really get this kind of attention. Before this I don't think the ride was ever down for more than two months and that only came very rarely.

Just hope by doing this its neighbors are not going to get neglected. It has now been a good while since some other big tickets at Magic Kingdom have gotten a lengthy loving refurb and enhancing.

^ The ride has had to have been painted a few times in the last 40 years... hasn't it? I really don't know! I think it would look like a Chinese themepark otherwise. I must say that this is a near unprecedented tear-down in that the ride won't really be 'changed'. I don't have the know-how of why the tracks have been torn down and re-welded etc. so much. (that is a queue for someone with real knowledge to tell us why)

Eventually steel takes the kind of abuse where this kind of attention is needed if they want to keep it in safe operation. This is not really anything new either. Matterhorn and other coasters of age and older have been retracked before.

The mountain and track together as well as other elements have not gotten this sort of attention in at least a couple of decades.

Knowing them? I'd say between 10-20 mill.

9 million dollars is the contract amount Dynamic Structures was awarded for a major track work refurb project. Only problem is not sure if it's for Big Thunder or the Matterhorn at DLR.

9 million dollars is the contract amount Dynamic Structures was awarded for a major track work refurb project. Only problem is not sure if it's for Big Thunder or the Matterhorn at DLR.

That certainly is perspective on how much it is costing, no matter which. The money it takes to spruce these pieces that entertain us vs. the number of us that will pay the bucks to be entertained. Big Thunder is, in hindsight, a classic and handsome piece of Disney entertainment!