Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Big Thunder Refurbishment - Early 2012

Went on the ride on the night of the 27th (the day it re-opened). Definitely faster and smoother as expected with a re-tracking, but the queue work was disappointing. Apparently everything isn't done yet, so I guess that's good news. I'm glad they did get it open to help with the Memorial Day weekend rush. Should see more work done after the summer crowds start to die down a bit.

Teebin get's redundant and hackneyed yet again. I have only been on this ride maybe three times... but watching the videos, it hits me that this has to be the most fulfilling family ride on the east coast of the US. It is absolute fun, it is mega themed, it seems like it goes on and on. It plays well on all fronts. An incredible creation. Add to this that it was created long before packaged coaster design means that it redefines custom. Brilliant Disney.

This was my favorite ride at Disney growing up. And it's still quite a thrill. Nothing like a night ride on this.

I'd love to ride the DLP version and see the differences. I hear it's the best one.

Epcyclopedia reported that a new permit was filed calling for new elements to be added to the queue.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad NextGen Queue Permit Filed

When the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad reopened recently from its extended refurbishment many fans were perplexed. Despite the push for new interactive queues everywhere in the parks, the attraction didn’t add much of anything in the way of new or interesting entertainment to its long and often tediously slowing moving queue experience.

There were however, a number of inconspicuous boxes and crates that were, at best, poorly themed to match the rest of the queue that were seemingly hiding or obscuring attachment points for elements that were not yet active. Sings of planned future additions to the experience.

Well, now that time has come. Today Imagineering filed permits to begin installation of the show equipment and audio visual controls for the nextgen experience in the Big Thunder Mountain queue area. Expect to be pushing buttons, interacting, and generally not just standing passively in line as you wait for your train anymore. Work should commence in the next few weeks.

Here's the permit: http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/downloads/20120491718.pdf?id=DOC1018S12861.A0&parent=DOC1018S12861

Last edited:
Disney's made it official.....

From the Disney Parks Blog

Today we have an exciting update on something new that’s in the works in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom Park – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is about to get a new interactive queue.

We’ve previously shared updates here on the Disney Parks Blog about enhanced queues that have been added to other attractions at the park – these interactive queues immediately allow guests to immerse themselves in the story of an attraction while they wait to board. Such experiences can already be found at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the Haunted Mansion, and most recently, Dumbo the Flying Elephant in Storybook Circus.

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering just shared with us that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland is next in line for such an addition. When it opens, guests will be able to participate in the story of the Big Thunder Mining Company like never before. It’s guaranteed to be a blast!

Wants to yawn but can't help but beintrigued about this coming to one of my favorites.

I really hope they do this right. Big Thunder's queue is one of the worst to stand in. As much as I hate some of the newer interactive queues, I feel like this attraction can actually benefit from the idea and maybe even tell more of a story.

From Disney Parks Blog

Walt Disney Imagineers Unveil the Backstory of Barnabas T. Bullion, Founder and President of Big Thunder Mining Company
Last week, we shared an image of a portrait that’s a part of a new project our Walt Disney Imagineers are currently working on – and today we’re happy to reveal the identity of that man and share details on the role he’ll play in the enhanced storyline of a certain Magic Kingdom Park attraction, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

ip8vG8vdooKgf.jpg

The fellow’s name is Barnabas T. Bullion, and he’s the gold magnate who rules the Big Thunder Mining Company with a golden fist. Imagineers have already begun working overnight in the park on the attraction’s new interactive queue, where you’ll be able to see this portrait, as well as an additional landscape portrait of the mountain itself.

iblrkmbfa275Q4.jpg

According to the enhanced backstory: “Barnabas T. Bullion is the founder and president of the Big Thunder Mining Company. The longtime mining magnate comes from a powerful East Coast family and considers gold to be his very birthright by virtue of his oddly appropriate name; in fact, he considers the ultimate gold strike to be his destiny. And that is why he is having so much trouble with Big Thunder Mountain. According to superstitious locals, Big Thunder Mountain is very protective of the gold it holds within, and the unfortunate soul who attempts to mine its riches is destined to fail. And so far that prophecy is coming to pass. The mine has been plagued by mysterious forces and natural disasters ever since. And yet the Big Thunder Mining Co. is still in operation. In fact, Bullion is discovering new veins of gold and digging new shafts every day, offering a closer look at the Big Thunder mining operation than ever before. But a word to the wise for anyone attempting to visit the mountain: watch out for runaway trains.”

Look for these new additions and a number of additional interactive elements in the coming months at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the wildest ride in the wilderness!

I wonder where Tony Baxter finds his inspiration? :look:

irm5JPwOjE3z3.jpg