Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^ That is pretty much how I saw it but the rating system is such an antique at this point I wasn't sure. If Orlando gets both large attractions going to Japan, then I would judge them both as E-tickets. I will be sad if they only get only the one originally planned as both seem "big".

Interesting. Do you know anything on if they'll be sharing the similar idea that UO is having of DK and Mario co-existing for that version? I am just curious, but it would make me wonder a bit.

Reactions: Mike S
A top class dark ride is an absolute must for this land. So much easier way to pull off for something like Zelda than the entire world-building needed for its multiple locations. You can tell a quick and concise story with multiple scenes over 4 minutes without building the whole castle, town, hyrule fields etc in a real world way like Dragon Alley.
I also think this solves the problem of having a second castle, as surely Peach's Castle would be built, if they even end up doing that (which I hope they do).

Last edited:
Zelda seems like such an obvious choice. It has to get an E-ticket. As far as nintendo Ive always seen it as second to mario. Zelda Ocarina of time got almost all perfect scores across the board and is still at the top 5 of most "Best game of all time" list. And what about star fox? Could be the next Spiderman/Transformers since the ship can change from Jet to Tank to submarine.

But seriously Zelda needs its day. And don't even get me started on the soundtrack...

Universal recently filed some interesting patents for ride systems and effects that might be included in upcoming attractions, and one in particular really stood out based on the rumors about the potential Mario Kart attraction. It's a patent for "Systems and Methods for Generating Augmented and Virtual Reality Images". Overall, the patent is really just a bare-bones, generalized outline of how to apply AR/VR to theme park rides, but it's definitely exciting to read though knowing that Universal might be using this kind of technology in the near future.

I've included a link to the full patent at the bottom of the post, but first, here are a few excerpts from the patent that really illustrate how cool this could be:

... each of the ride passengers may be provided a pair of electronic goggles, which may, in certain embodiments, include AV/VR eyeglasses. In other embodiments, the electronic goggles may be included as part of a helmet, a visor, a headband, a pair of blinders, one or more eyepatches, and/or other headwear or eyewear that may be worn by the ride passengers.
The electronic goggles may be used to create a surreal environment, which may include an AR experience, a VR experience, a mixed reality (e.g., a combination of AR and VR) experience, a computer-mediated reality experience, a combination thereof, or other similar surreal environment for the ride passengers as the ride passengers ride the thrill ride. Specifically, the electronic goggles may be worn by the ride passengers throughout the duration of the ride, such that ride passengers may feel completely encompassed by the environment and may perceive the environment to be a real-world physical environment.
In one embodiment, the AR/VR image may include an image of a monster or other similar fictional character appearing (e.g., from the point of view of the ride passengers while wearing the electronic goggles) to be obstructing a portion of the tracks as the passenger ride vehicle traverses the tracks. It should be appreciated that in addition to AR/VR graphical images (e.g., virtual augmentations) that include an added image, the graphics generation system may also render certain AR/VR graphical images that include a deletion of one or more real-world physical objects that no longer appear while the ride passengers are wearing the electronic goggles.
It should be noted that completely different images may also be provided to different ride passengers such that one or more of the ride passengers have partially or completely different ride experiences or even ride themes.

The patent also talks a bit about how AR goggles can provide a superior experience when compared to current VR HMD's (like the GearVR, Rift, Vive):

It should be appreciated that the eyeglasses embodiment of the electronic goggles as discussed herein may be distinct from, and may provide many advantages over traditional devices such as head-mounted displays (HMDs) and/or heads-up displays (HUDs). For example, as will be further appreciated, the electronic goggles may include a number of orientation and position sensors (e.g., accelerometers, magnetometers, gyroscopes, Global Positioning System [GPS] receivers) that may be used to track the position, orientation, and motion of the ride passengers during a cycle of the thrill ride.
by providing the electronic goggles as AR/VR eyeglasses, as opposed to bulkier and more cumbersome devices such as traditional head-mounted displays (HMDs), the ride passengers may be provided with greater freedom of movement, as well as a more photorealistic experience. For example, each of the ride passengers may be able to see each other ride passenger, as well as the passenger ride vehicle itself even when wearing the electronic goggles. Moreover, because the electronic goggles may include individual cameras and individual displays data with respect to the respective points of view of each eye of the ride passengers may be captured by the electronic goggles. Thus, the graphics generation system may render real-world images and AR/VR images on the displays of the electronic goggles that are consistent with the respective points of view of the ride passengers. Such advantages may be unavailable using devices such as traditional HMDs.

Patent WO2016028531A1 - Systems and methods for generating augmented and virtual reality images - Google Patents

Universal recently filed some interesting patents for ride systems and effects that might be included in upcoming attractions, and one in particular really stood out based on the rumors about the potential Mario Kart attraction. It's a patent for "Systems and Methods for Generating Augmented and Virtual Reality Images". Overall, the patent is really just a bare-bones, generalized outline of how to apply AR/VR to theme park rides, but it's definitely exciting to read though knowing that Universal might be using this kind of technology in the near future.

I've included a link to the full patent at the bottom of the post, but first, here are a few excerpts from the patent that really illustrate how cool this could be:

The patent also talks a bit about how AR goggles can provide a superior experience when compared to current VR HMD's (like the GearVR, Rift, Vive):

Patent WO2016028531A1 - Systems and methods for generating augmented and virtual reality images - Google Patents

Is it just me that it may sound somewhat similar to what LT had last year at HHN? I may be wrong..but this is interesting.

Microsoft HoloLens technology is more of what they're talking about in terms of augmented reality. I think this is absolutely perfect for Mario Kart which can then still use real sets and hopefully AA's while the AR fills in the rest, possibly replacing the use of screens entirely.

Reactions: richjagr
The LT finale did use VR. The thing in Sting Alley, was augmented reality via a tablet and was a seperate thing part of the investigation. Pretty sure the VR finale, was the Occulus.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Please let me add that processing 50 vehicles X 4-5 passengers with unique experiences for each person looking wherever at any given time seems ahead of its time. Last I peeked, a potential vendor was proud of showing a simple alien hiding behind a real table leg with one pair of AR glasses.

Reactions: Macfr3ak and Mike S
Please let me add that processing 50 vehicles X 4-5 passengers with unique experiences for each person looking wherever at any given time seems ahead of its time. Last I peeked, a potential vendor was proud of showing a simple alien hiding behind a real table leg with one pair of AR glasses.

That also is a lot of processing work for the system as well. Holy crap.

Probably do what they do in japan and have them cleaned after every ride..kinda like they already do with 3D glasses
But I would think VR would be harder to throw in a bin in the way out. So they have to collect each one, hand out the others, then set the sizing up. Load times would take forever.

But I would think VR would be harder to throw in a bin in the way out. So they have to collect each one, hand out the others, then set the sizing up. Load times would take forever.

Japan's being doing it with Space Fantasy for the past few months with no problems (they already have more visitors than Florida), the only problem I see arising is functionality of each device and a lot of difficulty to determine which ones are potentially defective everyday.

Japan's being doing it with Space Fantasy for the past few months with no problems (they already have more visitors than Florida), the only problem I see arising is functionality of each device and a lot of difficulty to determine which ones are potentially defective everyday.
Did not know that.