Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it won't be like Everest where you see a flat wall behind it in the parking lot. This is the centerpiece of the park so you'll see it from all sides.
You only see the back of E:E on the way in, not in the lot. And Pandora makes you not even notice Everest now, tbh.

Reactions: Mike S
Yeah, it won't be like Everest where you see a flat wall behind it in the parking lot. This is the centerpiece of the park so you'll see it from all sides.
It's supposed to be a Tibetan Monastery I seem to remember. To try and force perspective Everest to be bigger.

Today Show just did a piece on the water at many US water parks testing for horrid bacteria. The only one that didn't had off-the-charts chlorine that maxed at ten on the test kit. 10 is far too high and should preferably be 3. Do any of the water parks use large UV filters to kill any and everything? I would think that Seaworld uses them, at least with the reef fish as that is common in salt water aquariums.

Here is the video: Hidden germs in public pools are making more people sick - TODAY.com

Reactions: Ryno27
It's supposed to be a Tibetan Monastery I seem to remember. To try and force perspective Everest to be bigger.

Before I went and double checked I assumed it was just a flat plain wall, which is what I seem to remember it being. Have they added that awful mural recently? http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/park/animal-kingdom/expedition-everest-from-above-big.jpg

Do any of the water parks use large UV filters to kill any and everything? I would think that Seaworld uses them, at least with the reef fish as that is common in salt water aquariums.

I was just discussing this with a friend recently in regards to water rides like Popeyes and JPRA. I'm sure the water goes through some sort of filter and gets treated chemically, but it's still kind of gross to think that it ends up all over you and sometimes in you. *that's what she said*

Today Show just did a piece on the water at many US water parks testing for horrid bacteria. The only one that didn't had off-the-charts chlorine that maxed at ten on the test kit. 10 is far too high and should preferably be 3. Do any of the water parks use large UV filters to kill any and everything? I would think that Seaworld uses them, at least with the reef fish as that is common in salt water aquariums.

Here is the video: Hidden germs in public pools are making more people sick - TODAY.com

Could change it to salt water instead of chlorine then use UV and treatment facility to recycle the water.

Could change it to salt water instead of chlorine then use UV and treatment facility to recycle the water.

The interesting part is I have never seen a salt water pool with a slide. Marriott I believe has converted all their pools over to salt water. At least every place I have gone to has completed the conversion. But the one pool that is not converted in the one resort we go to is the pool with the slide. I am wondering if the salt would wear out a slide quicker and that is why they did not convert that one pool. It is always the coldest pool too even though it is heated lol

The interesting part is I have never seen a salt water pool with a slide. Marriott I believe has converted all their pools over to salt water. At least every place I have gone to has completed the conversion. But the one pool that is not converted in the one resort we go to is the pool with the slide. I am wondering if the salt would wear out a slide quicker and that is why they did not convert that one pool. It is always the coldest pool too even though it is heated lol

There is a problem. Biggest problem would be salt buildup if they stopped running the slides so it would have to get cleaned potentially scrapped more so for safety or they would have to keep the slides continuously running.

You're right, but it only works from a large to medium distance away.
bbblog2.jpg

Reactions: Ryno27 and Jon84
It's a common misconception that a saltwater pool doesn't use chlorine. All a salt system does is convert salt water (NaCl) to chlorine (NaClO) and hydrogen gas using a electrolysis. when the chlorine is used (oxidizes undesired contaminants) it breaks back down to saltwater. Cost wise it is basically the same as using liquid or powdered chlorine as the electrolysis cell has to be replaced every 3 to 5 years and cost about the same as 3 to 5 years of chlorine product. Also the salt levels required to run a salt water pool are very low compare to sea water (3,000 ppm to 30,000 ppm) so they are not supposed to be very corrosive. All commercial pools are required to use chlorine as an oxidizer and have to have a monitoring system, usually an ORP meter and feeder, that will dispense chlorine as it is depleted from the water. Most water parks use chlorine gas to disinfect the water I believe its more cost effective. I would much rather swim in a commercial pool with a chlorine level of 10ppm than with none as the amount of bacteria and parasites in the water with a lot of bathers would scare anyone. UV is a great way to kill things too especially microorganisms that chlorine can take longer to kill. Look up Cryptosporidium and you'll be very wary of any public pool. Don't get me started on spas you're basically bathing in everyone's sweat among other things. Always bring test strips to make sure the water is safe.

It's a common misconception that a saltwater pool doesn't use chlorine. All a salt system does is convert salt water (NaCl) to chlorine (NaClO) and hydrogen gas using a electrolysis. when the chlorine is used (oxidizes undesired contaminants) it breaks back down to saltwater. Cost wise it is basically the same as using liquid or powdered chlorine as the electrolysis cell has to be replaced every 3 to 5 years and cost about the same as 3 to 5 years of chlorine product. Also the salt levels required to run a salt water pool are very low compare to sea water (3,000 ppm to 30,000 ppm) so they are not supposed to be very corrosive. All commercial pools are required to use chlorine as an oxidizer and have to have a monitoring system, usually an ORP meter and feeder, that will dispense chlorine as it is depleted from the water. Most water parks use chlorine gas to disinfect the water I believe its more cost effective. I would much rather swim in a commercial pool with a chlorine level of 10ppm than with none as the amount of bacteria and parasites in the water with a lot of bathers would scare anyone. UV is a great way to kill things too especially microorganisms that chlorine can take longer to kill. Look up Cryptosporidium and you'll be very wary of any public pool. Don't get me started on spas you're basically bathing in everyone's sweat among other things. Always bring test strips to make sure the water is safe.

Yes, I am well aware of how salt water pools work as we are looking to build one in the future. When you say all pools are required to use Chlorine, you do not mean all commercial pools cannot use SWGs, because they can. At least in Florida and South Carolina they can. I have been in many commercial pools that use SWG vs. a Chlorine feeder system. I have also talked to pool guys about converting community pools to SWG pools. While they both produce Chlorine. The direct chlorine method is much more harsh on the skin and eyes. My daughter can tell within 2 minutes of swimming which kind of pool it is.

I have heard stories of how salt water pools cause issue with deck furniture and since I have never seen a salt water pool with water slides, I was just assuming it had something to do with the added salt causing issues. I obviously don't know this for fact though.

Yes, I am well aware of how salt water pools work as we are looking to build one in the future. When you say all pools are required to use Chlorine, you do not mean all commercial pools cannot use SWGs, because they can. At least in Florida and South Carolina they can. I have been in many commercial pools that use SWG vs. a Chlorine feeder system. I have also talked to pool guys about converting community pools to SWG pools. While they both produce Chlorine. The direct chlorine method is much more harsh on the skin and eyes. My daughter can tell within 2 minutes of swimming which kind of pool it is.

I have heard stories of how salt water pools cause issue with deck furniture and since I have never seen a salt water pool with water slides, I was just assuming it had something to do with the added salt causing issues. I obviously don't know this for fact though.

I think the pool at Cabana Bay is saltwater and has a slide.

I think the pool at Cabana Bay is saltwater and has a slide.

There you go, I have no clue why they don't use saltwater for water parks. I personally wish all pools were salt water. They are so much nicer to swim in if maintained properly.

There you go, I have no clue why they don't use saltwater for water parks. I personally wish all pools were salt water. They are so much nicer to swim in if maintained properly.

Salt water pools are a relatively recent development, no? And I would guess that it's not as simple as draining the chlorine water and filling it with saltwater? Probably a pretty penny to convert whatever equipment the slides and such use

Many of the estates here have salt water pools because they are only 200' from the Atlantic ocean. And boy are they heated.
I think they use salt in home water systems in Florida to soften the water otherwise soap wouldn't suds at all. Florida water is brick hard.

Salt water pools are a relatively recent development, no? And I would guess that it's not as simple as draining the chlorine water and filling it with saltwater? Probably a pretty penny to convert whatever equipment the slides and such use

You don't drain to do conversation and it is less expensive than you think it is. My swim teacher did it for under 1k and happened over a weekend. With no longer needing chlorine you pretty much break even over the years, maybe a little more expensive, but we are not talking huge amounts of money here.

Yes, water softeners use salt, but not many people have them. I am shocked at the amount of people down here who dont. We have one.

All commercial pools are required to use chlorine as the primary sanitizer. You can use a chlorine generator (salt system) in a commercial pool but a secondary back up of a ORP system using liquid or gas is required. So a commercial pool can not just use a salt system for sanitizing. An ORP system constantly measure the oxidation reduction potential in the water and adds chemicals as needed to maintain the proper levels at all times. The feeders allow the chemical to be added at the desired rate and do not shock the water or add to much since the ORP will disable the feeder when the desired level is met. Shocking a pool (adding large amounts of chlorine directly to the water ) is not allowed while bathers are present and the water must be tested before reentry is allowed. These rules for commercial pools are for Florida. I don't know what they are for the other states but most likely they are very similar.

A salt system produces sodium hypochlorite which is the same chemical that is in liquid chlorine. It really depends on the output settings of a salt system or a chemical feeder as to how high the chlorine is in the water. The chlorine in a salt pool or non salt pool affects everything the same. If your skin or eyes are irritated it is usually a problem with the PH level of the water, although chloramines could irritate eyes also. Either way it's a water chemistry issue, not whether it's a salt pool or not.

Salt water pools do have some issues at least with killing grass when the water is drained. I have noticed that an equipment leak also seems to be more corrosive to motors in salt pools. So I guess depending on the type of metal of the deck furniture it could be an issue.

I swim in pools a lot for job purposes and ,on residential pools, usually the salt pools are better maintained. The only way so far that I've been able to tell if a pool was salt water or not, without looking at the equipment, is actually taste. Not that I ever try and get pool water in my mouth, but no mater what you can actually taste the salt in the water when it's above 3,000 ppm.

Those rules for commercial pools are for Florida. I don't know what they are for the other states but most likely they are very similar.

Obviously your name says it all. But I disagree a ton with the skin and eyes thing and I can find a ton of articles to back me up, the below is just one.

Going Chlorine Free: The Pros and Cons of Salt Water Pools

We had a Chlorine pool with all this fancy stuff to prevent from putting a ton of Chlorine in, which worked, but it was still more harsh on our eyes than a salt water pool. But commercial pools tend to not have all the fancy add ons and our eyes are killed in almost all chlorine if not all chlorine pools I have been in at hotels. We never have any issues with salt water pools.

As for the feeder thing, I imagine in a SWG pool they are not used much as you can keep a salt water pool balanced easier than a Chlorine pool. Which is why at hotels when it is salt water I don't smell or feel the effects of a traditional chlorine pool. I doubt the feeders are used that much.

ETA: My daughter has never been wrong. I thought she was crazy the one time because she would only go in the one pool at this resort we were staying out. Only to find out later it was the only SWG pool on property. I thought they were all Chlorine.

Reactions: Scott W.
Status
Not open for further replies.