Ghostbusters | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Seen it last night also and enjoyed it a lot. I think I might have preferred it if it was a sequel and not a reboot, but it was still a good movie. Hemsworth and Mckinnen were by far the best parts.

Reactions: captainmoch
Seen it last night also and enjoyed it a lot. I think I might have preferred it if it was a sequel and not a reboot, but it was still a good movie. Hemsworth and Mckinnen were by far the best parts.
That brings me to something... if this gets a sequel, I think it could be really great. If we can get the first Ghostbusters movie that isn't the exact same plot as the original, it could actually be really interesting. Not to mention they could improve on some of the issues from this one.

Saw it last night (along with Mike & Dave). I enjoyed it for entertainment value, wasn't a fan of the ending though.

Looks like it's performing kind of middle of the road. It's likely it might turn a profit but it's nowhere close to the big success a Ghostbusters movie should have been with such a powerful franchise. I think they way overestimated the popularity of this movie and put it on too many screens, in the digital projection age I think the theaters may correct this in the next day or so. Seems a lot of theaters have been empty. Empty theaters for Ghostbusters

I thought Ghostbusters was fine, but a huge swing and a miss. I chuckled a few times but didn't really laugh hard. Still think they had some huge missed opportunities.

Reactions: captainmoch
I thought Ghostbusters was fine, but a huge swing and a miss. I chuckled a few times but didn't really laugh hard. Still think they had some huge missed opportunities.
Yeah I wish they would have made it as a sequel instead of a reboot.

Took the fam this weekend to see it. All of us that it was great. Funny with lots of action and I thought great cameos (with only cameo missing). Its not better than GB1 overall, but I thought it was funnier. Great reboot to the series and I love how they left it open for a sequel. Based on the merits of this one, I am guessing they will have one.

Took the fam this weekend to see it. All of us that it was great. Funny with lots of action and I thought great cameos (with only cameo missing). Its not better than GB1 overall, but I thought it was funnier. Great reboot to the series and I love how they left it open for a sequel. Based on the merits of this one, I am guessing they will have one.

Based on the money it's not making.. I'd argue different. :lol:

Based on the money it's not making.. I'd argue different. :lol:
It's the highest opening for a live action comedy in over a year, and Sony has already said sequels are coming. It'll be a modest success, but still a success.

Yeah, we can't start looking at every movie not opening at $100 million like it's a flop. This is not an Avengers movie.

Yeah, we can't start looking at every movie not opening at $100 million like it's a flop. This is not an Avengers movie.
Most comedies are cheap to make. This is a sci-fi movie with a 144M budget. After covering promotional costs, theater cuts, etc. it needs to make around 300M to break even. Overseas box office could save this, but Ghostbusters is not that well known outside of the US.

Most comedies are cheap to make. This is a sci-fi movie with a 144M budget. After covering promotional costs, theater cuts, etc. it needs to make around 300M to break even. Overseas box office could save this, but Ghostbusters is not that well known outside of the US.

It sounds like Sony disagrees. I think it'll have legs, now that it's largely shaken off the Ghostbro taint. The sequel will make more money. Sony is in the long game for this one I'd guess.

While I'm not going to call Forbes wrong, their recent entertainment reporting has been iffy at best.

It's the highest opening for a live action comedy in over a year, and Sony has already said sequels are coming. It'll be a modest success, but still a success.

Yea, that means nothing. If Studios kept their word from statements made on or before opening weekend; we'd have John Carter 2, Terminator 6 on the way, Green Lantern 2....

It's also about to hit Star Trek, Ice Age, Bourne and keep battling Dory and Pets. I think it barely cracks $100 million.

That's not the problem. The problem is profit. If the movie had cost $50m, then I'd say it was fine.

Reactions: ChrisFL
That's not the problem. The problem is profit. If the movie had cost $50m, then I'd say it was fine.

That's true too. By that same token, every big budget feature released this summer has been a flop except for Civil War (and Jungle Book if you count that as Summer).

That's true too. By that same token, every big budget feature released this summer has been a flop except for Civil War (and Jungle Book if you count that as Summer).
Yeah, this has been a terrible summer for movies. Nemo has made huge bank and Pets will turn a nice profit too, though.

4 of the top 5 highest grossing movies of the year so far were released between Jan-March. That's very rare.

Ghostbusters should have and could have been this years Jurassic World. Obviously everyone is trying to spin the positive sides of this. The reality is though while there is a small minority of vocal fans complaining (Ghostbro's if you want to refer to them that way) there are many people who grew up with Ghostbusters who would have potentially watched this but simply just didn't see this as a real Ghostbusters movie. Not everyone is getting on discussion forums and tweeting how much they hate that this movie ruined their childhood, etc. they're just simply not going to the theater to see it.

That has been my biggest complaint all along is that it truly is a missed opportunity. I also primarily blame Bill Murray who continually rejected GB3 until it was too late.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender