Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I worked at HHN starting in 2007 (not a scareactor), but didn't even experience the houses that year because I had never done them before and didn't understand the point of the event. Wow was I naive.

Then in 2008 I got a new job that takes all employees to HHN every year for a complimentary night of fun. That was my first HHN as a guest and I loved it so much I have gone every year now. This year I will go almost every night of the event (many alone and a few with various people that don't want to go as often).

Reactions: snayberry
I have been going to HHN since 1996 and I have not missed a year yet. Also I have been attended opening day every year for the majority of those years. I'm really excited this year because I think this is one of the best lineups of houses they have had in several years.

First time in 1992 and then every year from 1995 to current. Don't ask me to remember everything, especially since I was 9 years old in 1992. The best part though, they could actually touch you back then without worrying about being sued (makes for a traumatized kid though). I also remember "something breathing fire" from 1992 and didn't realize until much later that it was Robosaurus.

Robosaurus was awesome. :clap:

Everyone seems so pumped. This year seems to be so much more positively received in terms of speculation rather than last year (and last year turned out fantastically). Coupling this with a lack of blatant leaks and I think we're leading up to a very successful event! Nice to see everyone excited. Can't wait!

Everyone seems so pumped. This year seems to be so much more positively received in terms of speculation rather than last year (and last year turned out fantastically). Coupling this with a lack of blatant leaks and I think we're leading up to a very successful event! Nice to see everyone excited. Can't wait!

It could also be dangerous, like what happened with Hulk reopening.. expectations get too high and are crushed.

Reactions: JoeCamel
It could also be dangerous, like what happened with Hulk reopening.. expectations get too high and are crushed.

I feel like it's somehow different though. With Hulk there were a lot of concrete promises that were made. Sure, HHN could be a lesser year but that usually boils down to opinion. Hell, one could even argue that Hulk delivered everything it promised, but the hardcore folk were somehow expecting more (not that I'd know, I haven't been on).

Ultimately, HHN can often be what you make of it, barring any major misfires. Having attended 3 other times, I can't say I've ever had a bad time. It's kind of like the circus I guess - if the elephants aren't your thing, maybe the clowns will be. It's a much wider spectrum of an event to enjoy.

Ultimately, I'm with Joe Camel. I'm easy to please. I think that'll get me by.

I will say it seems my weakest years--2006, 2012--seem to immediately follow my strongest years. With 2015 being a strong contender for best ever, I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm a bit. I do think Tomb and Ghost Town will be strong, but everything else feels like they will either nail it or fail miserably, no middle ground.

I am remaining cautiously optimistic about this year.

Here's what gives me pause:
1. The 6/3 IP vs Original divide as I thought 5/4 was a fair number
2. The fact that we are sharing nearly every IP with HHNH the only change so far being TCM vs TCM2
3. The Chance house being in 3D which may or may not be a good thing depending upon execution

Here's what has me excited:
1. The originals such as Ghost Town and Tomb of the Ancients
2. The scarezones
3. IPs like Krampus and AHS which should provide good variety of scares/design

Here's what I consider to be a flat out no:
1. TWD because it is a 'best of' house. This bothers me because not only do we not have the usual lack of variety associated with any house based on TWD, but now we have even less thanks to the fact that they have already featured nearly every room/scare before.

All in all, it sounds like this could be a good year and may end up outshining the anniversary year (I thought 2011 was better than 2010, personally) so I am remaining optimistic.

What was interesting last year was that during our UTH tour we got to talking with the guide about HOS and he said to us, "They are able to do some things over there that we would love to be able to do here." Given this sentiment, execution is going to be a big part of whether or not this year is a success (The Exorcist being one of the forerunners of that) as I would love to see some new scare tactics or ways of creating scares that have not been done in a while.

Last edited:
This is my third year going (2014 and 2015). I'm very optimistic about this year; the only houses giving me pause in terms of quality are TWD (because duh), Exorcist (could be great or a disaster), and Lunatics Playground (Sounds too similar to Wonderland).

This is my third year going (2014 and 2015). I'm very optimistic about this year; the only houses giving me pause in terms of quality are TWD (because duh), Exorcist (could be great or a disaster), and Lunatics Playground (Sounds too similar to Wonderland).

How did I forget TWD, I will have to create a new 'flat out no' category. I mean, they are seriously doing a 'best of' house since there is next to nothing of note within the last season. At least the rumored AHS 'best of' house has some great set and creature variety to work with (assuming it is a 'best of').

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
As long as there are chainsaws and blinky cups my expectations will be met. I'm easy to please

Agreed, whenever you're with friends, drinks in hand and at Universal (especially HHN).. it's hard to beat

I feel like it's somehow different though. With Hulk there were a lot of concrete promises that were made. Sure, HHN could be a lesser year but that usually boils down to opinion. Hell, one could even argue that Hulk delivered everything it promised, but the hardcore folk were somehow expecting more (not that I'd know, I haven't been on).

Ultimately, HHN can often be what you make of it, barring any major misfires. Having attended 3 other times, I can't say I've ever had a bad time. It's kind of like the circus I guess - if the elephants aren't your thing, maybe the clowns will be. It's a much wider spectrum of an event to enjoy.

Ultimately, I'm with Joe Camel. I'm easy to please. I think that'll get me by.

Exactly, plus I'm a big baby and get scared easily so everything is scary to me. I only get to go one weekend a year so everything scares me no matter what. Heck, I screamed multiple times an episode for Stranger Things.

On our last night last year, everyone in my group went to bed around 12:30am and I stayed til 2am doing the houses alone and Alice in Wonderland scare actors cornered me in one of the last rooms (I was the only one going through at this point) and they freaked me out. I had to take my 3d glasses off just to find my way out of the room. I also love 3d houses, I don't get why people don't. Sure, they may not be as scary but you have to appreciate the art that goes into them.

How did I forget TWD, I will have to create a new 'flat out no' category. I mean, they are seriously doing a 'best of' house since there is next to nothing of note within the last season. At least the rumored AHS 'best of' house has some great set and creature variety to work with (assuming it is a 'best of').
Half of the house will probably be based off 2014's :lol:

Agreed, whenever you're with friends, drinks in hand and at Universal (especially HHN).. it's hard to beat

Exactly, plus I'm a big baby and get scared easily so everything is scary to me. I only get to go one weekend a year so everything scares me no matter what. Heck, I screamed multiple times an episode for Stranger Things.

On our last night last year, everyone in my group went to bed around 12:30am and I stayed til 2am doing the houses alone and Alice in Wonderland scare actors cornered me in one of the last rooms (I was the only one going through at this point) and they freaked me out. I had to take my 3d glasses off just to find my way out of the room. I also love 3d houses, I don't get why people don't. Sure, they may not be as scary but you have to appreciate the art that goes into them.
I'm third-ing that sentiment. There are a lot of houses I'm looking forward to (Ghost Town), and ones I'm looking forward to less (TCM), but overall every experience I've had at HHN has been amazing. I've never walked through a house yawning, that's for sure.

Reactions: Joel