Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

Would you please explain what you meant by Twister being unreliable? I was a Lead there long long ago, and the only downtimes we ever seemed to have were due to operator error (I have a story to tell, in another thread I think!), an out of sync building, or a weak tornado. Sometimes Dorothy wouldn't fly. Sometimes a sparker or two would be out. Sometimes the Barco tear wouldn't work. But for the most part the attraction went on. The TD operator would be looking for broken show elements and a weak tornado. Part of the TD test was being able to name all of the show elements in the correct order. A weak tornado. operator error, and the building being out of sync, are the about the only things I can think of that would cause a downtime.

I don't find it unreliable, and it was never not working during any of my visits (albeit some effects here and there). Awhile back after I was talking about Disaster getting replaced, someone told me Disaster was probably on it's last leg, and Twister wasn't far behind. Thanks for informing me on the background of the ride however! I would love to hear that story.

I think then my point was simply talking about Disaster as Twister is more reliable than I had said.

Whoah, that is a whooooooole lot of show elements out :( If it was near the end of the attraction's life, that makes sense, they'd probably just given up. That wouldn't have flown (no pun intended, hah) back when I worked there. If there were elements out, they were recorded by the TD operators and were supposed to be fixed third shift. Some elements took awhile to repair, of course. Like, there was a Dorothy sitting by the timeclock for the longest time.

But ultimately, the attraction wouldn't close for any of those minor effects. Just the out of sync building and a weak tornado.

But that truck is kind of a big deal in Disaster, I would have been bummed if that didn't work!

I was in the control room on the last afternoon. I had "ridden" it earlier in the day and everything was working then when I did the tour everything was operating again as the operator announced the steps of the show.

I was surprised to see two maintenance men there, they explained the different tech aspects in response to my questions (never did the tour before) but I didn't get the feeling they were there for nostalgia or to answer my questions, more like they were on hand to make sure it kept running through to the end.

RIP Twister

I don't find it unreliable, and it was never not working during any of my visits (albeit some effects here and there). Awhile back after I was talking about Disaster getting replaced, someone told me Disaster was probably on it's last leg, and Twister wasn't far behind. Thanks for informing me on the background of the ride however! I would love to hear that story.

I think then my point was simply talking about Disaster as Twister is more reliable than I had said.

Oh gosh, hopefully I didn't come off as aggressive with my question, that was never my intention! I apologize if I did.

Sometimes the Barco tear wouldn't work. But for the most part the attraction went on.

I'm assuming the Barco tear is the drive-in screen ripping but why is it called "Barco"?

Random factoid: (last one, since I know this is the wrong topic for it!) one of my favorite Twister discoveries was the typo on one of the signs in Scene 2, the show scene. It had the spelling "tornmado" instead of tornado. From that day on, in my mind, F5 tornmados were the finger of God....

That's hilarious!
Which sign are you referring to?

I'm assuming the Barco tear is the drive-in screen ripping but why is it called "Barco"?

That's hilarious!
Which sign are you referring to?

Yes, the screen tear. I always assumed it was a brand name or something, maybe the type of screen, because it was just called the Barco Screen and the effect was the barco tear. Never found out the why, was just told what it was called and what it was supposed to do. That is a terrible terrible answer to your question, I'm sorry!

Oh, let's see, the sign in question would have been to your left entering Scene 2 from Scene 1, on the wall next to the hallway that leads to the TD booth. I can't remember if it was a warning sign for the attraction, or a fake news article. You'd never see it as a park guest, it's too dark and loud and the TM's are hustling you inside. But when you're frozen in Scene 2, standing by the doors waiting for them to open, you do a lot of pacing around and a lot of looking at the same stuff over and over again. That is how I discovered... the mighty tornmado typo.

Last edited:
That Barco screen always seemed to be the biggest issue in my dozens of viewings of Twister over the years. Either it'd be MIA when one entered the theater, or it would just stay stuck.

Still an impressive piece of tech while it lasted.

BTW: the Disaster truck was MIA for quite some time for a very good (and odd) reason. Not at liberty to discuss, but maybe someone else is. It wasn't just because it "broke" in the traditional sense.

That Barco screen always seemed to be the biggest issue in my dozens of viewings of Twister over the years. Either it'd be MIA when one entered the theater, or it would just stay stuck.

Still an impressive piece of tech while it lasted.

BTW: the Disaster truck was MIA for quite some time for a very good (and odd) reason. Not at liberty to discuss, but maybe someone else is. It wasn't just because it "broke" in the traditional sense.

Let's just say not all of the platform the truck was on was fireproof......

So let me get this straight, they take a ride from Holleywood that gets awful guest feedback and bring it to Orlando. At first we think it will be better and have additional stuff, but still not excited. But now based on what we are seeing, outside of the queue everything is going to be the same as a ride that no one likes? I don't get why they did this. And why do we think the GP will eat this up when they are not eating up the same thing in California?

If you are talking the outside San Francisco façade it was kept to fit in with the rest of the SF area.

Does the USH F&F get poor guest reviews or is that what hardcore theme parks fans say? No sarcasm intended. I am genuinely curious.

I think Kong does an excellent job of simulating speed and motion in the 360 scene. F&F should accomplish the same thing. I am not much of a fan of the series, but Kong is a great ride so hopefully this is too.

So let me get this straight, they take a ride from Holleywood that gets awful guest feedback and bring it to Orlando. At first we think it will be better and have additional stuff, but still not excited. But now based on what we are seeing, outside of the queue everything is going to be the same as a ride that no one likes? I don't get why they did this. And why do we think the GP will eat this up when they are not eating up the same thing in California?
I don't understand the rationale either, unless they add a few different things that will alleviate the guest feedback issues.

Dwayne Johnson is now the highest paid actor according to Forbes. This might be one reason Universal is using the footage from the Hollywood ride rather than doing something new. The Rock might simply be too expensive now.

Dwayne Johnson rocks 'Forbes' highest-paid actor list
40a9220b4ede572b9265ad7f7eda9ced.jpg

They certainly could, but it would likely cost a lot more.
That's what I mean. They could film different footage for the ride, but they won't since the cheapest option is to just reuse the already finalized ride film from Universal Studios Hollywood. But, because Furious 7 made $1.5 billion, they need to strike while the iron is hot on one of their most important IPs.

That's what I mean. They could film different footage for the ride, but they won't since the cheapest option is to just reuse the already finalized ride film from Universal Studios Hollywood. But, because Furious 7 made $1.5 billion, they need to strike while the iron is hot on one of their most important IPs.
There's striking while the iron is hot, and then there's fast and crappy cash ins. I really would've liked if they took their time with this one.