Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 254 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Of course, this is kind of a slow period, but if Uni can keep attractions their wait times at 20 then the resort will be successful.
Yeah, the only complaint I hear about Universal as of late is it's hot and the lines are long...I appreciate them being so aggressive when it comes to queue lines

Reactions: JoeCamel
Finally got to ride the Hulk on our trip last week. Rode it twice and two totally different experiences. Much of it had to do with the music. First time, the music was loud and clear through the entire ride. Second time was just totally different. If you could actually hear the music, it sounded like a car with a very bad sound system....scratchy and staticky. It really took away from our enjoyment of the ride. The rest of the ride was fine but our second ride was filled with more what the heck moments from the bad audio.

Rode this 3 times in our visit. Other half hated it due to the roughness banging her head into the side of the seat. 2 out of the 3 times the speakers were either broken or half working? Bit disappointing, but gringotts and Forbidden journey made up for it :)

I must say Islands of adventure is the much better park now, the gap seems to have widened (excluding Diagon alley)

Jonny

Reactions: Cheezbat
I personally think this is the worst refurb ever. The line to me seems no better or worse than before and the coaster is not smoother than before. I don't know if it was the car I got, but the vibration is what killed me vs. the head banging. It was just rough all around. I would say I am getting old, but I have been riding all different coaster all year and Hulk was the roughest of them all. There has been pretty mixed reviews of the roughness, I am wondering if there is one car that is rougher than the rest.

Prior to Hulk, Test Track topped my list of the worst refurb. But for me personally at least with TT while the storyline got worst, at the least the ride itself feels the same. And the creating your car does keep the young ones engaged. I can't think of one positive from this refurb. Wait, I just did, the entrance does look cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtsalien
I personally think this is the worst refurb ever. The line to me seems no better or worse than before and the coaster is not smoother than before. I don't know if it was the car I got, but the vibration is what killed me vs. the head banging. It was just rough all around. I would say I am getting old, but I have been riding all different coaster all year and Hulk was the roughest of them all. There has been pretty mixed reviews of the roughness, I am wondering if there is one car that is rougher than the rest.

Prior to Hulk, Test Track topped my list of the worst refurb. But for me personally at least with TT while the storyline got worst, at the least the ride itself feels the same. And the creating your car does keep the young ones engaged. I can't think of one positive from this refurb. Wait, I just did, the entrance does look cooler.

I can think of one positive from the refurb. The supports won't pull loose from the footings anytime soon. Other than that they missed a real opportunity to plus the ride for 20 more years

Yep, they plussed the entrance and that's about it. I rode it for the first time this weekend. For me personally, the queue is worse. It's a lot harder to figure out what's going on. And it seems unnecessarily loud at points. I forgot how much I truly love the layout, but man was the ride rough. Nobody in my family wants to go on again anytime soon. I will, just because of how much I love the ride itself. But I couldn't agree with you more. What a disappointment. As bad as Rockit can be at times, it may now be more fun and comfortable to ride than Hulk. That's sad.

I just don't understand the roughness complaints lol. I've been on 15 times since it opened and they've all been fine rides. The layout itself still jostles you around but I distinctly remember it being much rougher. Also, the queue is actually much nicer for me than it was, I think it just looks cooler in general. There's no storyline other than the fact that we're about to be Hulked out or whatever, but that's not troubling. I expect [HASHTAG]#story[/HASHTAG] from the more narrative-based rides.

But idk, our opinions are all subjective.

Reactions: Quint and Joel
There's no storyline other than the fact that we're about to be Hulked out or whatever, but that's not troubling. I expect [HASHTAG]#story[/HASHTAG] from the more narrative-based rides.

(Speaking as someone who hasn't been on Hulk since 2013 anyway I'm perhaps slightly less qualified, but nonetheless) I agree with you this attraction doesn't need a really strong, narrative-driven experience, but the story which was in place before was the same in that respect. The difference, to me, is the old version was simple, effective, exciting, and clear - it was the story anyone would expect to set up a coaster based on the hulk. Seeing the little animations of Banner's experiment with his voiceover wasn't complicated, but it worked and was complete as was. This version seems unnecessary complicated to me, and seems like it's so opposite to what regular people would expect from 'the hulk ride' that it's no wonder people don't really understand it or connect with it. My gut reaction, honestly, is the old 'change for the sake of change'. And in everything, I really dislike that.

Reactions: jtsalien

Amen.

Also I agree with not knowing where these complaints about roughness are based. There has to be a difference among trains; we know there's a difference for where you sit. But again if your head is against the head rest, whatever bumps there would be are mitigated because your head is secure.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Amen.

Also I agree with not knowing where these complaints about roughness are based. There has to be a difference among trains; we know there's a difference for where you sit. But again if your head is against the head rest, whatever bumps there would be are mitigated because your head is secure.

There was parts I felt I was on Shrek carriage part. I had my head against the head rest and still got banged around. But it was more the vibration that got to me. Again, I have been on a bunch of coasters this past year, so it is not like I am not used to coasters or that I am getting too old. For a refurb it was a let down. I expected it to be smoother. Of course you are going to get some head bangs because of the track layout, but I didn't expect the vibrations.

Reactions: jtsalien and Joel
There was parts I felt I was on Shrek carriage part. I had my head against the head rest and still got banged around. But it was more the vibration that got to me. Again, I have been on a bunch of coasters this past year, so it is not like I am not used to coasters or that I am getting too old. For a refurb it was a let down. I expected it to be smoother. Of course you are going to get some head bangs because of the track layout, but I didn't expect the vibrations.

I understand where you're coming from but still haven't experienced the same myself; but as these are the UO forums, people can have differing opinions while still being civil. :peace:

Reactions: IzzyB
Rode last week. It's still my favorite coaster ever. The first half just can't be beat. As far as the update, the ride felt basically the same as the old version to me. No smoother or rougher than before.

My favorite new thing is the revving up launch sound and the roar.

Reactions: Joel and gator
I rode this last week and was actually more impressed than I expected to be with the queue enhancements. The less cartoonish vibe of the videos, the loud sounds, etc. made it a bit more suspenseful. The storyline now is that there is none until you almost get to boarding and see that we're going to be Hulkified. Definitely miss the dialogue in the launch but it did look pretty cool and I was able to hear the music the entire time I rode, but not sure if that has to do with what row you're in.

Overall, the refurb was pretty pointless and the ride seemed no less rough than before. I do have to say it is a bit sobering that Comcast, much as we praise their contributions, have zero problem cheapening out on a project like this.

Reactions: Jon84 and Joel
I took note of the tips on keeping my head back. But the ride still banged my head from side to side throughout sections of the ride. I liked the queue sets, and fortunately I had Express. But, unfortunately, the queue was like a WWII prisoner hot box torture. I pitied the poor souls in the stand by line. You have to credit Comcast for spending the money to upgrade an attraction that was probably facing structural support problems in the future, but B&M did them no favors in redesigning the update. They kind of let Universal down. Not something I'd consider riding on every vacation due to the headbanging (I sat in a middle area).

Reactions: Joel