Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are pointing to Oz again. Pure speculation but it seems NBCUniversal is hitting the gaps they missed owned by Disney (Return to Oz characters etc) and owned by other elements through certain means.

I also expect something completely unexpected that no one would have thought they would do. Like the motion simulator based dining experience concept that was introduced at CES a few days ago.

Just curious about the bolded there. I'm someone with way, WAY too much knowledge about the history of the Oz series, and from what I know neither Disney nor Warner Bros. actually own any of the concepts from the sixty or so books that make up the original series, the first half of which are all in the public domain.

Sure, you do have things like the Ruby Slippers and characters like Miss Gulch or the Lollipop Guild, which are not from the books and which Warner Brothers owns the likenesses to, but none of the main characters from Return to Oz are owned by Disney. Jack Pumpkinhead, Tik-Tok, Mombi, Billina, the Wheelers, the Gump, the Nome King, and Princess Ozma are all public domain characters.

Overall Oz is such a tough IP to make work in my opinion. Sure, the source material is overflowing with rich characters, locations, and concepts that would likely translate really well into a modern kids' action adventure franchise, but so much of what actually gets developed is adult "Dark fantasy" re-imaginings of the MGM musical... and they are almost always awful by comparison.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Just curious about the bolded there. I'm someone with way, WAY too much knowledge about the history of the Oz series, and from what I know neither Disney nor Warner Bros. actually own any of the concepts from the sixty or so books that make up the original series, the first half of which are all in the public domain.

Sure, you do have things like the Ruby Slippers and characters like Miss Gulch or the Lollipop Guild, which are not from the books and which Warner Brothers owns the likenesses to, but none of the main characters from Return to Oz are owned by Disney. Jack Pumpkinhead, Tik-Tok, Mombi, Billina, the Wheelers, the Gump, the Nome King, and Princess Ozma are all public domain characters.

Overall Oz is such a tough IP to make work in my opinion. Sure, the source material is overflowing with rich characters, locations, and concepts that would likely translate really well into a modern kids' action adventure franchise, but so much of what actually gets developed is adult "Dark fantasy" re-imaginings of the MGM musical... and they are almost always awful by comparison.
I look at OZ like this. If the Harry Potter books and movies were separately owned, would a theme park land based on the books be successful? IMO no. Same goes for OZ. Without the movie versions of the IP, the public isn't going to respond well.

I look at OZ like this. If the Harry Potter books and movies were separately owned, would a theme park land based on the books be successful? IMO no. Same goes for OZ. Without the movie versions of the IP, the public isn't going to respond well.

I figure the same. Though I do come from the "IP is less important than execution" wing of theme park fandom, but still, and especially with something as iconic as Oz, I have a hard time seeing most people care without those iconic things being front and center. People want green witches on broom sticks cackling about dogs, sparkling ruby slippers, and for the Cowardly Lion to look like Bert Lahr.

This would be something great to make Universal stand out more so to have on the third site. Also be the 2nd only in the world art museum/interactive theme park. Also great time while drunk despite being kinda painful when climbing on stuff.

As someone who's not like.. obese.. and got momentarily stuck in a City Museum sculpture - it's not for those who dislike pghysical activity and are prone to complaining about a few bumps and bruises (aka: most theme park guests.)

This would be something great to make Universal stand out more so to have on the third site. Also be the 2nd only in the world art museum/interactive theme park. Also great time while drunk despite being kinda painful when climbing on stuff.

I think that you are going at the concept of an interactive museum on a bad angle.

Personally, a high end and ever-evolving museum focusing on the celebration of Universal Pictures and all of its subsidiaries would be much more beneficial as there is a crowd that would go for that.

For example, USH has done this for quite a few times, with the Chicken Run exhibition; the NBCUniversal Experience and most recently the Coraline to Kubo exhibit have all been successful in many rights.

Expanding the concept much further could be a great way to not only add an additional upcharge experience for the IDrive center, but it'd show the strengths of the film endeavors that they have pulled with that would not only be educational; but potentially awarding of giving a nicer light to what UOR doesn't typically focus on.

In a way, that is what I think would work best for a museum type experience.

This might be crossover from a few other threads, but how will HHN be handled in a third park? I mostly ask because I day dream about a "classic monsters" section of the park and that being used for something for HHN. I know that brings up the argument of the mummy being axed, replaced, or moved to fit in that land in the old park and whatever, but a guy can dream right?

This might be crossover from a few other threads, but how will HHN be handled in a third park? I mostly ask because I day dream about a "classic monsters" section of the park and that being used for something for HHN. I know that brings up the argument of the mummy being axed, replaced, or moved to fit in that land in the old park and whatever, but a guy can dream right?

They could, and in my eyes should, plan the new park with HHN very much in mind.

They could, and in my eyes should, plan the new park with HHN very much in mind.
I think the third park likely won't have anything to do with HHN other than a park that will be open late for on-site guests while HHN is taking place.

The only way I see them moving HHN to that park would be if Uni plans on removing the Sound Stages for park expansion. Right now the stages create what is an ideal set up for an event like HHN so unless they can come up with something better, they might as well not bother.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think the third park likely won't have anything to do with HHN other than a park that will be open late for on-site guests while HHN is taking place.

The only way I see them moving HHN to that park would be if Uni plans on removing the Sound Stages for park expansion. Right now the stages create what is an ideal set up for an event like HHN so unless they can come up with something better, they might as well not bother.
Well I meant maybe they would hold certain aspects of HHN in both studios and the third park. Don't know if that would work out either, just sort of what I'm day dreaming about

Reactions: Nick
Maybe the third park could have a big Halloween day time event with theming and special shows for all the family. Keep HHN to Studios cos nostalgia and the set up works.

Maybe the third park could have a big Halloween day time event with theming and special shows for all the family. Keep HHN to Studios cos nostalgia and the set up works.
I think as the resort grows and you have more people staying on-site, you simply want a park that is open for visitors to enjoy for regular hours.

Although I can see them potentially adding a event to try and compete with MNSSHP on week nights when HHN isn't going on (which would be aimed more at families).

Reactions: tielo
Considering USF will be the oldest park- they will still want to keep crowds there via HHN. The new park will have plenty of attendance without HHN. I'd rather them focus on some serious nighttime entertainment 365 days/yr at the new park and let USF have HHN as it's main draw in Sept/Oct.

Considering USF will be the oldest park- they will still want to keep crowds there via HHN. The new park will have plenty of attendance without HHN. I'd rather them focus on some serious nighttime entertainment 365 days/yr at the new park and let USF have HHN as it's main draw in Sept/Oct.
With Potter and Nintendo (along with F&F, Fallon, TF, Simpsons, DM, etc), USF isn't going to have an issue drawing crowds.

I simply just don't think it's worth it to move the event as it works perfectly with the soundstages (again, unless they want to demo the stages in order to expand the park).

With Potter and Nintendo (along with F&F, Fallon, TF, Simpsons, DM, etc), USF isn't going to have an issue drawing crowds.

I simply just don't think it's worth it to move the event as it works perfectly with the soundstages (again, unless they want to demo the stages in order to expand the park).

For the nighttime they will. If we get our Castle/projection show at IoA and the new park has a nighttime show- what is the draw at USF at night? Nintendo projection? I mean- I suppose there could be something there that the draw is for nighttime- but for what we know right now- there isn't.

Note: I realize there isn't anything at either park right now- lol. But we know the HP show is coming. Now, if they wanted to move HHN to third park and create a nighttime attraction at USF- fine. But in terms of crowds and the 3rd park being further away- to have TWO "must see" night shows that aren't a HE train ride away just extended everyone's stay an extra night in the parks- that's not necessarily a bad thing. So that's why I see the 3rd park having a night spectacular while USF keeps HHN.

Reactions: Nick
For the nighttime they will. If we get our Castle/projection show at IoA and the new park has a nighttime show- what is the draw at USF at night? Nintendo projection? I mean- I suppose there could be something there that the draw is for nighttime- but for what we know right now- there isn't.

Note: I realize there isn't anything at either park right now- lol. But we know the HP show is coming. Now, if they wanted to move HHN to third park and create a nighttime attraction at USF- fine. But in terms of crowds and the 3rd park being further away- to have TWO "must see" night shows that aren't a HE train ride away just extended everyone's stay an extra night in the parks- that's not necessarily a bad thing. So that's why I see the 3rd park having a night spectacular while USF keeps HHN.
Oh, I agree with you in keeping HHN at USF.

USF really isn't built for a nighttime show whereas they could purpose build the third park for a nighttime show.

Reactions: graspthesun

They actually make some good money from those sound stages from commercials, Spanish language television, wrestling, and a visual arts school that rents space. They also are very helpful for events like Harry Potter Celebration, Holidays, and HHN. AND they are a perfect space for staging stuff, like the things that hang under the arch for events.

Basically, the sound stages aren't leaving anytime soon, at least not in mass.

They actually make some good money from those sound stages from commercials, Spanish language television, wrestling, and a visual arts school that rents space. They also are very helpful for events like Harry Potter Celebration, Holidays, and HHN. AND they are a perfect space for staging stuff, like the things that hang under the arch for events.

Basically, the sound stages aren't leaving anytime soon, at least not in mass.
I don't think the Stages are either. I was actually saying the opposite and arguing that the only way HHN would move to the third park would be if the soundstages were removed for park expansion. I personally don't see that as a likely thing to happen anytime soon, I was just throwing around scenarios.

I don't want anything from USF moved to the third park. I was just daydreaming about having HHN houses at the third park as well, and that's only if there was going to be a "classic monsters" section of the new park, which I don't think will happen. It will be interesting to see if they take advantage of nighttime shows for the 3rd park. The other parks are so pretty at night I'm really hoping they expand park hours and take advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.